Consent needed for a kitchenette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consent needed for a kitchenette?

hi there, we are wanting to put in a kitchenette downstairs and rent it out as a one bed unit.

I saw one online which was removable, the elements are electric. Although the sink pipes would need to be plumbed in. We have a space beside the washing machine for this.

My question is do I need consent to do this and rent it out?

Cheers,
    Nick

Originally posted by nicko54 View Post
    hi there, we are wanting to put in a kitchenette downstairs and rent it out as a one bed unit.

I saw one online which was removable, the elements are electric. Although the sink pipes would need to be plumbed in. We have a space beside the washing machine for this.

My question is do I need consent to do this and rent it out?

Cheers,
    Nick
    Hi Nick
    As soon as you are adding plumbing, yes you would need a consent (moving is a bit different - exemption from consent if moving). Your problem will be adding elements. This makes it a kitchen and you would most likely need both a building consent and a resource consent which would be very difficult to get unfortunately.

Comment

You probably would, yes. A licensed builder or draughtsman will be able to confirm.
      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

The reality is that you will be providing accommodation for someone.

This therefore must be resisted at all costs.

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys. I phoned the council also and they said it would be treated as a minor dwelling even though it is not going to be seperate from the rest of the house. They said as soon as you put in another kitchen or kitchenette it is classed as a minor dwelling. That said apparently I don't need resource consent as the adjacent area is less than 65sqm but because I will be adding a new sanitary facility, being a sink, I will need to get a building consent, which would take 20 working days after submission with the council and a cost of $1300.

Anyway, a builder is coming around tomorrow so will also ask him.

Thanks again for everyone's answers.

Cheers,
          Nick

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys. I phoned the council also and they said it would be treated as a minor dwelling even though it is not going to be seperate from the rest of the house. They said as soon as you put in another kitchen or kitchenette it is classed as a minor dwelling. That said apparently I don't need resource consent as the adjacent area is less than 65sqm but because I will be adding a new sanitary facility, being a sink, I will need to get a building consent, which would take 20 working days after submission with the council and a cost of $1300.

Cheers,
            Nick
            Hey, I "believe" putting in a extra new stove/oven is a consent activity because of the electrical draw, however a full gas oven bypasses this. Is there currently a sink and all plumbing in the laundry?
            Also consider taking a boarder rather than a separate tenancy, I'm under the impression boarder income does not get taxed. The accountants here may put me right!

Comment

Plug in hob and convection microwave. Or standard microwave and bench top oven is a cheaper option. All easily removable.

Comment

Hi Nick,
                Have done several of these.. cost could be up to 100-150k for 60m2 and depends on which part of the country. You will have to pay development contribution, Unit will need fire proofing with fire engineer design, sound proofed, if it was an old garage may require upgrading floor or damp proofing from inside and outside.

These are some costs in 2014 to covert a basement into 60m2 2 bedrooms with bath and kitchen (hamilton CC)

Architect/Planner $7000
                Building Consent $2975
                Resource Consent $3345 (Although I still believe I don’t need it)
                Fire Engineer $975
                Development Contribution $4418 (1/3rd normal contribution)
                Waterproofing the Basement/Drainage $9000
                Builder/Plaster $40,000
                Sparky $5000
                Plumber $6000
                Bathroom Fittings $3000
                Painting $3000
                Rangehood/Oven $2000
                Kitchen $6000
                Landscaping $9000

Cheers

Cheers,
                Nick

Comment

ask the council is the same requirements apply to a granny flat? Make sure you record names when talking to council officers.

This one didnt know the nuances of the Building Act and the builder coming is even less likely to..

If you could move the plumbing from somewhere it can be done without consent (but done by registsterd plumber ditto the electical work does not need consent as electricians self certify.

Your mistake was to use the term "one bed unit". That implies seperate and exclusive and different household and a minor dwelling

ity you use term self contained space for a member of the same household you may get a different answer?

but if you want to spend 100-150k go ahead I am sure it will be a better space for the investment?

Comment

[QUOTE=Beginner1;415996 You will have to pay development contribution, Unit will need fire proofing with fire engineer design, sound proofed

[/QUOTE]

Only if you intend for it to be a separate housing unit, able to be rented out separately from the main house. Would need to have separate utilities, too, to comply with RTA.
                    Not necessary for a granny flat (independent space occupied by a member of the same household.)

I have a granny flat under my house - it is rented to a flatmate who pays a share of the bills.
                    My blog. From personal experience.
                    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jappronz View Post
                      Hey, I "believe" putting in a extra new stove/oven is a consent activity because of the electrical draw, however a full gas oven bypasses this.
                      I believe you are wrong.
                      Electrical work does not require a building consent and the electrical draw has nothing to do with the council!

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                        Your mistake was to use the term "one bed unit". That implies seperate and exclusive and different household and a minor dwelling

ity you use term self contained space for a member of the same household you may get a different answer?

but if you want to spend 100-150k go ahead I am sure it will be a better space for the investment?
                        I get the impression that the Op wants to rent it out as a seperate one bed unit - a seperate household.

Comment

Well, I guess he might not have enough facility to allow a separate household? Because he'll then need to get a separate power meter, water meter and phone lines. Now that he doesn't even have a sink there I doubt he has those meters. I do get confused why he doesn't have a sink beside the washing machine. The plumbing will be the same one, won't it? And if there IS a plumbing point there then he literally would need nothing to apply for consent for, because he can simply put up a bench top on top of a front loader washing machine and let boarders use plug-in induction cook tops and microwave and bench top ovens. What is he adding subject to consent? Nothing. And why can't a boarder use a separate entry? The logic is, he's sharing the bills I believe.

Personally, I don't understand people adding minor dwellings within the same building. Costs money, attract tax, and too close to a tenant. You can largely get your boarder under some control but a tenant in your own house can be a nightmare to your life.

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys. I phoned the council also and they said it would be treated as a minor dwelling even though it is not going to be seperate from the rest of the house. They said as soon as you put in another kitchen or kitchenette it is classed as a minor dwelling.
                            This isn't true. You can have as many kitchens in your house as you like. A minor dwelling can only be the case if it is 'separate' from the rest of the house, as this then requires fire and noise partition etc. You cannot get consent for a minor dwelling without that.

You can put in a sink, with a building consent, then add the 'kitchen' around it, and let the space as a flatshare without the cost of a full minor dwelling development.

Comment

Originally posted by jappronz View Post
                              Hey, I "believe" putting in a extra new stove/oven is a consent activity because of the electrical draw,
                              Not true. No consent is required for an oven, an electrician can advise on the amount of load/cost for installation of another oven.

Comment

Working...
                              X