Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meth or P related - it goes here, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garrett View Post
    A waste of money in my opinion. If there is no obvious damage via staining to any surfaces or funny smells etc, then the likely level of meth contamination would be minimal. In which case a good clean wiping down all surfaces with soapy water will remove any surface meth and other possible contaminants remaining (assuming it was actually meth contaminated at all). Then tidy up with painting.

If we currently encapsulate asbestos with a few good coats of paint I don't see why meth would be more difficult considering it is completely soluble in water.

I think the meth danger in houses is completely overblown. I am not a fan of scare tactics used to flog products either.
    I've a feeling you are right but I'm not willing to take the chance at the moment. In a years time I think I'll look back and think "what a waste of 560 bucks" as the real truth about Meth properties will come out but on the off chance, I think it's worth it for piece of mind.
    Test scheduled for today so wait and see I suppose

Comment

Who did you go with to have the testing done in the end?
      IT Solution Architect by day.....property investor by night. All i need now is the bank as my butler and a cave with high capital gains.

Comment

Originally posted by boredasbro View Post
        I've a feeling you are right but I'm not willing to take the chance at the moment. In a years time I think I'll look back and think "what a waste of 560 bucks" as the real truth about Meth properties will come out but on the off chance, I think it's worth it for piece of mind.
        Test scheduled for today so wait and see I suppose
        Let us know how it goes. Would like to know what jargon they use. They seem to be ex drug squad coppers rather than technicians or scientists.

Comment

Meth contamination, testing and disclosure.
          Dream home becomes chemical nightmare (8:26)
          Source: Fair Go

Newlyweds Al and Nerissa thought they’d found a perfect family home, until they settled in for their first night and Nerissa noticed a strong chemical smell.

Comment

I watched that FAIR GO segment. I'm with Garrett on the issue of contamination, he makes some very good points about how over emphasizing the risks associated with meth contamination are making vast profits for the clean up companies.

We now live in an age where many "safety" issues are totally overblown & lacking any real perspective.
            Ironically it was an irrational over zealous safety approach used by NZ Police preventing rescue workers entering the Pike River Mine that may have cost many more lives.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
              Ironically it was an irrational over zealous safety approach used by NZ Police preventing rescue workers entering the Pike River Mine that may have cost many more lives.
              Maybe, maybe not - I wasn't there. But if more died trying to get the trapped there would have been even more hell to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                Maybe, maybe not - I wasn't there. But if more died trying to get the trapped there would have been even more hell to pay.
                It takes time for gas reservoirs to build up.Fact. Police prevented rescue workers from entering the mine immediately after the explosion when gas build up was negligible.Fact.The over zealous safety approach may have cost lives at Pike River. Fact.Another example; a liquor store robbery in Manurewa around 2 years ago where St Johns ambulance crew were prevented from attending to a critically injured owner of the store because Police thought the robbers were still at large even though they had been informed several times that they had fled the scene of the crime.

The victim died because of the insane safety procedures in place.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                  It takes time for gas reservoirs to build up.Fact. Police prevented rescue workers from entering the mine immediately after the explosion when gas build up was negligible.Fact.The over zealous safety approach may have cost lives at Pike River. Fact.Another example; a liquor store robbery in Manurewa around 2 years ago where St Johns ambulance crew were prevented from attending to a critically injured owner of the store because Police thought the robbers were still at large even though they had been informed several times that they had fled the scene of the crime.

The victim died because of the insane safety procedures in place.
                  Obviously you have some inside or deep knowledge of this - maybe a crystal ball? I don't and only know what I have read.
                  Facts are very interesting things.
                  Did the police know for sure, absolutely, that the gas build-up was negligible? I suspect if there was a further explosion (and there was more than one) and a life was lost you would be one of those calling them stupid for going in. Just take the car chases - chase a car that crashes and kills someone and they are over zealous, let them drive on and they are weak on crime.

While it is a fact that "The over zealous safety approach may have cost lives at Pike River" it is equally a fact that "The zealous safety approach may have saved lives at Pike River". The word 'may' being the key here. Any sentance is true with a 'may'.

Adding the liquor store robbery into the mix leads me to believe that you have a beef against the police, a group who may not be perfect but do do a very hard job.

Comment

Speaking of facts and accusations mrsaneperson, you appear to have missed two questions on the rental insurance thread.
                    One from DazRaz, one from myself.
                    Are you saying that there are some re-insurers who have gone under? Who of the re-insurers is struggling? Perhaps you have some statistics on this? I only know of retail insurers who had issues. Please enlighten.
                    I am asking about the here and now, mrsaneperson.
                    The premiums being collected today.

So, in answer to my query.
                    Was that a yes or a no?
                    www.propertytalk.com/forum/showthread.php?33297-Insurance-Recommendation-for-Rental-Property/page10

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                      While it is a fact that "The over zealous safety approach may have cost lives at Pike River" it is equally a fact that "The zealous safety approach may have saved lives at Pike River". The word 'may' being the key here. Any sentance is true with a 'may'.
                      Its all well and good to think like that BUT here is the kicker, you sit on the fence and nothing gets done, yes the fence sitter will say that the safely measure saved lives but nothing is getting done so no no lives are being saved.
                      At the end of the day the situation was, these is 29 people that MAY be alive in a hole, rescuers were wanting to go in, could they die ? of course its a ****en mine for Christ sake but in time of great need there needs great people, they had rescuers there willing to give there life, should they been allowed, yes for what do we know if we don't even try.
                      Last edited by Glizzle; 09-07-2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I'm not really defending either side but pointing out that facts aren't so factual.
                        I wasn't there so I don't really know.
                        Have a read of this for a rescue effort
                        Darwin Award: Count Your Chickens: Six people drowned Monday while trying to rescue a chicken that had fallen into a well in southern Egypt. An 18 year old farmer was the first to descend into the 60-foot well. He drowned, apparently by undercurrent

Comment

What about the plane crash ? two people died except only one died in the plane the other was run over by a truck racing to the scene.
                          The point is whats the point in doing nothing, those villagers maybe dumb but didn't lack courage and in this world what is more important to people.
                          Last edited by Glizzle; 09-07-2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glizzle View Post
                            The point is whats the point in doing nothing, those villagers maybe dumb but didn't lack courage and in this world what is more important to people.
                            And they got a Darwin award - that has to be worth something in the after-life.

Comment

I would happily buy an ex-meth house, strip linings etc. and live in it again. Unfortunately, most of the houses that are used for Meth manufacturing I would imagine would be in less than desirable areas anyway...might be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                                Speaking of facts and accusations mrsaneperson, you appear to have missed two questions on the rental insurance thread.
                                One from DazRaz, one from myself.

www.propertytalk.com/forum/showthread.php?33297-Insurance-Recommendation-for-Rental-Property/page10
                                Its hard to ascertain. But hey its happened once with AMI having to be bailed out by this Govt. Was that only because they didnt have enough reinsurance? Maybe other reasons were involved too.No individual accountability for this . The insurance companies are like any other business they are there to make profits .There profits are based on probabilities that "something" isnt going to happen. They got caught out before & you can be sure it will happen again. Thats why take a second to think before you hand over your heavily hiked insurance premium.
                                Last edited by mrsaneperson; 10-07-2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X