Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meth or P related - it goes here, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The proposed figures are so low they are ridiculous.
    Now the government is about to enshrine into law a standard - if a property tests positive for meth at 1.5 micrograms per 100 square centimetres it will be legally defined as contaminated. The new law will also allow landlords to evict tenants on just seven days' notice if test results meet or exceed this new level.
    Massey's Nick Kim says at 1.5 the P residues are so low the word 'contaminated' cannot even be rightly used. The new standard is about 300 times less than the minimum dose of amphetamine given to children to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, he says.
    "To regulators that's a sense of comfort, I suppose, because they say we're pretty happy that down at this 1.5 level the chances of any effect are so low they're negligible, or unquantifiable. The risk is neither appreciable nor quantifiable, I'd say.
    "What would happen if you were exposed at 2? The answer is nothing, that we could detect," Kim says.
    I wouldn't bother cleaning a house with a reading under 20.
    I wouldn't bother testing a house unless I saw clear evidence of a lab.

Comment

• Might want to chat with your insurer and lawyer of what you can be on the hook for.

It is a rort tho...

The Government spent $52m on testing and housing repairs for meth. Health experts say the money would be much better spent targeting asbestos.
      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

• Meth. Is it damaging?

To health? Possibly not.

To wealth? Possibly.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

• Yesterday the Housing Minister Phil Twyford said the government was scrapping a policy of evicting state house tenants if their homes tested positive for methamphetamine.
          Instead, support for drug and alcohol addiction would be given.
          https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/345845/better-drug-and-alcohol-treatment-key-to-new-hnz-policy

Something else for the public to pick up the tab on in the long term.

Craig

Comment

• Labour On Drugs, eh what?

Good that the P doff will have a gnome to go to, Phil the dill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Courham View Post
              Yesterday the Housing Minister Phil Twyford said the government was scrapping a policy of evicting state house tenants if their homes tested positive for methamphetamine.
              Instead, support for drug and alcohol addiction would be given.
              https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/345845/better-drug-and-alcohol-treatment-key-to-new-hnz-policy

Something else for the public to pick up the tab on in the long term.

Craig
              Are you saying that it is a bad thing that a Govt should try to fix the issues rather than just kick them out in the street?
              The Govt are not a 'normal' landlord - they have a special duty of care to the people.

I wonder what sort of society some people here would like to see us live in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                Are you saying that it is a bad thing that a Govt should try to fix the issues rather than just kick them out in the street?
                The Govt are not a 'normal' landlord - they have a special duty of care to the people.

I wonder what sort of society some people here would like to see us live in.
                All this will lead to is more damage to HNZ properties which we tax payers have to pay to repair, or bowl, long term. What are they going to do: order people to go to alcohol/drug counselling services if they want to remain in a HNZ property? Or will HNZ managers give them a lecture on the evils of drugs, tick a box saying said lecture has been given and move on to next property?

Perhaps the people in said properties have a duty of care/responsibility to the NZ taxpayer funding their property and breaking said social contract has consequences. Nah, holding people responsible for their actions and having consequences for them is a damn silly idea.

Here is an idea, maybe we simply build 1960s style UK tenement blocks and keep them all in one place and let the social problems fester.

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by Courham View Post
                  Perhaps the people in said properties have a duty of care/responsibility to the NZ taxpayer funding their property and breaking said social contract has consequences. Nah, holding people responsible for their actions and having consequences for them is a damn silly idea.

Here is an idea, maybe we simply build 1960s style UK tenement blocks and keep them all in one place and let the social problems fester.

Craig
                  Not sure about your alternative solution (tenement block) but at least you have one I suppose.
                  How did that work out for the UK?

Comment

• Safe levels of P

The Jan 2018 edition of NZ Property Investor ran a news item which indicated some figures which no-one has published before.
                    I'm just quoting them so they can be used as a reference: Page 8
                    "According to (Andrew) King, the new standards safe level of 1.5 micrograms per 100cm2 limit was achieved by starting at a level of meth that causes no effect on people and then dividing this by 100 to apply a safety margin."

Translated: A level of 150 micrograms per 100cm2 is safe for people.

"Massey University toxicologist Dr Nick Kim says the new 1.5 level is still 3000 times lower than the lowest dose recorded to have a pharmaceutical effect"

Translated: Even a level of 4500 micrograms per 100cm2 is safe for people.

I am surprised at the decision to use a safety margin of 1%.
                    This seems crazy.
                    Imagine if we did that for road safety:
                    - The speed limit is 100km/hr and some motorists get killed
                    - Let's make the roads safer by reducing the speed limit
                    - Can't be too safe - reduce the speed limit to 1% of the old limit - now 1 km/hr
                    - Who would tolerate a speed limit of 1 km/hr?

Comment

• Fear has no logic.

What you can't see (infection) has more fear than what you can see (vehicles).
                      Alfred Hitchcock knew this.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                        Fear has no logic.

What you can't see (infection) has more fear than what you can see (vehicles).
                        Alfred Hitchcock knew this.

FEAR>
                        False Evidence Appearing Real.

Comment

• Wellington Apartment Meth Above Average But Passed . . .

Hi

A friend of mine who owns an apartment in Wellington CBD has received an email from his property managers regarding a meth test.

A clean house is 0.04. Legal limit is 1.5 and his came in as 1.0!

As a consequence the new signing tenants have decided to walk away.

My friend lives in Canada so its awkward to get hands on and sort this out.

How does he sort this out. The test was basic so should he get an expensive more comprehensive test. Are there ways of cleaning out the contamination quickly ? Should he tell his insurance company.

If anyone has experience and can offer advice I'd be most grateful and will pass this info on.

Thanks Fever.

Comment

• Why was it meth tested? If its below the legal limit of 1.5 then there should be no issues. Did the new tenants request a meth test?

Comment

• Yep. 1.5 is approximately 1/3000th of the level which may cause health issues. Hopefully labour will rectify the usage vs lab measures this year. A test of 1.0 is fine.

Comment

• This is quite a good article.
                                Are Kiwis wasting thousands unnecessarily decontaminating their homes? Maria Slade looks into a business growth story which appears to be solving a problem which doesn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X