Health and safety for commercial property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health and safety for commercial property

Hi all, does anyone have experience drawing up a hazard list to comply with Health and Safety? My tenant runs a commercial kitchen. Do I just go on in and look for anything that can cause an injury... would I include "falling down the staircase" for example? Do I need to take photos or anything apart from writing the hazards down? Any tips? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Merlot Mike View Post
    Hi all, does anyone have experience drawing up a hazard list to comply with Health and Safety? My tenant runs a commercial kitchen. Do I just go on in and look for anything that can cause an injury... would I include "falling down the staircase" for example? Do I need to take photos or anything apart from writing the hazards down? Any tips? Thanks in advance.
    Since the tenant runs the business shouldn't they do the hazard list?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
      Since the tenant runs the business shouldn't they do the hazard list?
      I was wondering that also... is that your experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Merlot Mike View Post
        I was wondering that also... is that your experience?
        Put it this way - I haven't done a hazard list for the building I own.
        Since I don't run the business and hazards could change at any time (I haven't been in the building for months) I am not in a good position to determine hazard or not.
        I never considered that it was my responsibility.

Comment

Since I don't run the business and hazards could change at any time (I haven't been in the building for months) I am not in a good position to determine hazard or not.
          I think you might be right. I spoke to Worksafe this morning, and they were irritatingly vague about the whole thing - I only need to take "practicable" steps to ensure peoples safety. Thanks for your reply btw.

Comment

Hi Merlot Mike, I have a commercial property and have never done a hazard list.

I would also think it was up to the business(es) in the building to do so.

To find out I'd speak to an insurance broker, pretty sure they will know.
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
              Hi Merlot Mike, I have a commercial property and have never done a hazard list.

I would also think it was up to the business(es) in the building to do so.

To find out I'd speak to an insurance broker, pretty sure they will know.
              Thanks Davo, will do.

Comment

How did you guys get on with this?

I manage a few Body Corporates and retail centres and as I understood it, we're required to provide health and safety procedures and hazard lists for common areas while tenants are responsible for anything within their tenancy.

It's been giving me a headache trying to come up with a solution that doesn't result in micro-management but covers everything without breaking the bank.

Comment

Well, I haven't experienced such issues yet but one thing I want to tell you that safety is very important for everyone. I have never done a hazard list but will definitely ask to some experts so that in future I won't get any such issues.

Comment

If there are common areas I would say the building owner would have some responsibilities

Comment

Originally posted by Phixyt View Post
                      How did you guys get on with this?

I manage a few Body Corporates and retail centres and as I understood it, we're required to provide health and safety procedures and hazard lists for common areas while tenants are responsible for anything within their tenancy.

It's been giving me a headache trying to come up with a solution that doesn't result in micro-management but covers everything without breaking the bank.
                      Even simple things like leaving the car to reach the building you need to have exclusive pedestrian path not shared by cars
                      One company claimed this path need to be fenced with a fence capable of stopping a car ...never seen this even in supermarket carparks.

Comment

It seems that the Body Corp has got this covered so apparently no concern for me as the owner of one unit.

Comment

Working...
                        X