Ongoing housekeeping issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ongoing housekeeping issues

Current tenants have been advised previously advised to clean up the house . Each time I do an inspection the same issue comes up.

Things like Stove and oven in the kitchen has never been cleaned. There are food and stuff all over the house that is growing mold.

I asked then to open windows and let ventilation in but they refuse citing the house gets cold.

As they were a young couple- with 2 under 3 year kids , I gave them a chance for a start as their own place to bring up a family.

When I told them as a matter of fact that the place is filthy and needs cleaning , she is blaming on the raising of kids etc , that they are good tenants who always pay rent on time.

The TA stipulates only 3 people and now there are 4 of them, I feel place will run down even more for a 2 bedroom unit. I renovated the place before they moved in and it has gone back to the old state.
    Personally I feel that they are lazy and do not care. I feel for their kids. I do not want to be blamed if they get some serious illness due to the condition they are living in?

Also I advised them that the rent will be increasing by $20 as I have increased only once in the past 24 months but they feel that its unjustified.
    What are my options?
    Last edited by BlueSky; 27-02-2017, 11:44 AM. Reason: Spell

I agree with you. Yes, they are lazy. The kids will make your house worse and you will have to renovate again. Better have new tenants before it gets worse.

My lesson I learnt was never 'FEEL' for them. I had a single mother tenant. During her stays, she made a hole in a bedroom door, jammed wardrobe sliding door, made huge coffee stain on new carpet etc. She wanted to move out and gave me a notice. She stopped paying rent after giving notice. So basically 3 weeks of rent was not paid. She sold her almost every belonging and wanted to gave me cash for the two weeks rent. I appreciated her effort for trying to pay and felt for her since she had sold almost everything. So I said to her "To keep the cash because you will need it more than I do since you are on your own with a baby and moving out is a huge job for you. I'll deduct it from your bond. You just please clean the house and leave the bedroom door with me. I wont charge for that. I'll ask my friend to fix it".

During the last inspection I found out she did not clean house, left so much mess behind stove, garden full of weed and left rubbish. Her bond which was about 400$ after deducting rent was not enough for wardrobe door, hiring cleaning service, professional carpet cleaning etc. She told me "F*** off" when I told her $400 is not enough for fixing door and cleaning. Good thing is she is no longer my tenant and she taught me a lesson.

You better give your tenants notice and find new ones. Don't be afraid to wait longer until you find a better tenant. That is what I am doing now and I believe I have found a 'better' tenant.

Comment

90 day notice mate.

If they are not going to be reasonable, get rid of them.

And maybe get a property manager too.
      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

If they are like that now, what kind of damage will the kids do as they get a bit older and start tearing around? I'd put large sums on them not giving a stuff and allowing the kids to run riot.

And it takes more than just paying rent on time to make someone a good tenant.
        My blog. From personal experience.
        http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

90 day notice or they pay for a professional clean once every 6 months.
          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
            . . .they pay for a professional clean once every 6 months.
            Unenforceable.

Comment

bye bye then
              Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                90 day notice mate.

If they are not going to be reasonable, get rid of them.
                ^^^ This, they'll keep doing it to others until they're taught that it's in their best interests to be tidy.

Comment

Thanks . my plan is to put them on notice stating the place needs to be cleaned up by x date.

I will increase the rent as scheduled as advised to them previously.

If they come back saying they cant pay the increased rent and will be moving out well and good. If not will go ahead with 90 day notice.

Comment

Just be very sure you don't state or say why you are giving notice when giving the 90 days..

Comment

Pays to issue the 90 day notice before you say or do anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSky View Post
                        Current tenants have been advised previously advised to clean up the house . Each time I do an inspection the same issue comes up.

Things like Stove and oven in the kitchen has never been cleaned. There are food and stuff all over the house that is growing mold.

I asked then to open windows and let ventilation in but they refuse citing the house gets cold.

As they were a young couple- with 2 under 3 year kids , I gave them a chance for a start as their own place to bring up a family.

When I told them as a matter of fact that the place is filthy and needs cleaning , she is blaming on the raising of kids etc , that they are good tenants who always pay rent on time.

The TA stipulates only 3 people and now there are 4 of them, I feel place will run down even more for a 2 bedroom unit. I renovated the place before they moved in and it has gone back to the old state.
                        Personally I feel that they are lazy and do not care. I feel for their kids. I do not want to be blamed if they get some serious illness due to the condition they are living in?

Also I advised them that the rent will be increasing by $20 as I have increased only once in the past 24 months but they feel that its unjustified.
                        What are my options?
                        I had a similar situation to this last year. Everytime I went around to do an inspection the place was very untidy with clothes all over the floor ,crap around the kitchen but I could not see any damage - so I let it go on like this. I was advised that a landlord cant tell people the way to live. When it came for them to move out at their own choice the carpet was so bad it was a write -off full of stains. I had to then take them to TT as they were argumentative about paying for it. Lesson learned is nip it in the bud while you can and get new tenants.

Another important detail here is that they have broken the TA in regard to the extra person staying there. To remedy this you can draw up a Tenancy Variation in regard to the extra person. It can stipulate the rent to go up from next week and that this is due to you accommodating the extra person. It should be kept simple so that even if the extra person moves out the Tenancy Variation is still applicable allowing up to 4 people. Both parties must sign for this to be effective . But the best thing is it becomes immediate and you do not have to wait 60 days.
                        Last edited by mrsaneperson; 25-03-2017, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Geez, I don't enjoy cleaning my stove... but moldy food is a bit much so I agree with you on that point.

You're going overboard worrying about 4 tenants. Young couples often have children. What did you expect?

Install a heat pump. It's bizarre the number of out of touch landlords (who live in houses far better then they rent) who claim opening windows is the answer to their rental's problems. Chances are, your tenants are correct and it will make the problem worse.

Comment

I thought a young family would be ideal, 2 kids and 2 adults too many do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSky View Post
                              I thought a young family would be ideal, 2 kids and 2 adults too many do you think?
                              There is a 4th person now living there; the rent increase is justified .It is in essence not a rent increase as they have not kept to the TA by adding the extra person which will add more wear and tear to your property. That is why the Variation to Tenancy Agreement will work in your best interests as you wont have to wait the 60 days factor for rent increase notification. The Tenancy Variation agreement can be immediate as long as both landlord and tenant agree.
                              Actually I have just written out a Tenancy Variation today as one of my tenants have increased their maximum number of occupants. Their rent includes power and water so in my case its more of a necessity and not based solely on extra wear and tear.

Comment

Working...
                              X