Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weatherside cladding

Hi There

I am looking at the following house in Nelson and it all looks good - but there's a catch: the upper cladding is all weatherside.
    I am looking at the house today so can't comment on the condition first hand, but I have been told that it has been kept in really good nick.

I understand that sooner or later it will have to be dealt with, preferably all replaced; I have also read on here that banks can sometimes reject loans because of the cladding type. Luckily enough finance isn't going to be an issue for me, but I still want to make sure it's a sound investment (planning to have as a rental for a few years and then possibly move in myself).
    So my questions are:

1 - how much should I be prepared to spend on the repair? (I've read 60k)
    2 - is insurance going to be an issue? can this be overcome?
    3 - any other info you can think of would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Chris

Do a search for Weatherside on this site and you may find what you want.
    There are plenty of things to read.
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

if its lasted this long its probably ok

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
        if its lasted this long its probably ok
        If it has lasted this long, it means that it has been very well maintained and will need continued ongoing maintenance. If it is kept clean and regularly painted/sealed, that will help. But its not a good product and really needs to be replaced. Cost to replace??? Don't know.

Comment

if it has lasted this long it is likly due to not getting wetted.(or it isnt in fact weatherside) It must have good soffit protection?? Check that it is weatherside and not something similar the laps will be the first sign of failure poke a blade into the underside and see what it shows. (should look like dark brown hardboard)

Manage the investment with a prudent replacement when it suits you including staged replacement of some walls.

Comment

Working...
          X