• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Latest Threads/Videos

News and Views

Most Active - Last 30 Days

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hundreds of tenants have requested their personal information from TINZ

Appears to be an initiative from Renters United which has provided a form to send to TINZ to make a request under the Privacy Act to find out if they were in the TINZ tenant database, request a copy of their information and request the removal of information gathered without their consent. Renters United are not happy with the TINZ response and have replied in rebuttal.

More info here:

http://www.rentersunited.org.nz/upda...base-requests/

Haha that's funny. They object to TINZ confirming their identity? Good on TINZ.

TINZ is good for good tenants. If tenants are bad then landlords will of course give bad ratings. It will be helpful for other landlords. The TT is not fair for landlords. TINZ actually serves better than the TT for landlords. Good on TINZ!!

Given that it is not all that difficult to spoof e-mail addresses, this assertion is somewhat dubious.
    However, this obligation will be met by their sending of an email from their own address (many of which you will hold on file). We note s 24 of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002.
    Try Radenbrea Studios for hand-made designer jewellery. Especially if you're looking for a great gift for your lady love.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wellington Broker View Post
    Given how prevalent identity theft is online I'd be concerned about any company which was publicising or sharing my ID. Sounds like TINZ are struggling to operate within NZ law
    AFAIK information about tenants is only available to members, apart from requests from tenants themselves. Plus most of the information held is publicly available anyway.

However, this obligation will be met by their sending of an email from their own address (many of which you will hold on file). We note s 24 of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002.
    I see they fail to note Section 22 (2) as it is obvious that TINZ has refused the option of an electronic signature.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Appears to be an initiative from Renters United which has provided a form to send to TINZ to make a request under the Privacy Act to find out if they were in the TINZ tenant database, request a copy of their information and request the removal of information gathered without their consent. Renters United are not happy with the TINZ response and have replied in rebuttal.

More info here:

http://www.rentersunited.org.nz/upda...base-requests/
    It appears TINZ is at it again.

I complained to the Privacy Commissioner in 2014 about TINZ and resondingly won. The Privacy Commissioner found that TINZ was required under the Privacy Act to fulfill my request in the manner which I had provided it and I was under no obligation to submit their aptly-named "Privacy Waiver".

This is what I recommend people do as I (and possibly others) have already set the precedent. Keep slam-dunking TINZ until they abide by the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
    Haha that's funny. They object to TINZ confirming their identity? Good on TINZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Given that it is not all that difficult to spoof e-mail addresses, this assertion is somewhat dubious.
    Your opinions are worth just that. TINZ has been found in breach and I have figuratively-framed the decision. Why do you believe the law should only apply selectively ie: only when it suits the landlord (no doubt)?

For your reference, this is the law:
    http://legislation.govt.nz/act/publi...39.html?src=qs

As I am a Internet industry technical professional of many years and by qualification, can you please explain to me how a "spoofed" email address would apply, in this instance?

Say, someone was to misappropriate my email address michael@***.nz, firstly, it would end up spam-scored at the remote end (Due to SPF / DKIM fails), and secondly the reply is going to come to me....?
    Last edited by MichaelNZ; 13-03-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelNZ View Post
    As I am a Internet industry technical professional of many years and by qualification, can you please explain to me how a "spoofed" email address would apply, in this instance?
    From my limited experience, it's usually done via hacking webmail, via a browser.
    Try Radenbrea Studios for hand-made designer jewellery. Especially if you're looking for a great gift for your lady love.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

From my limited experience, it's usually done via hacking webmail, via a browser.
    From my experience, it's morons who had over their passwords via phishing emails.

Thread Information