Auckland Unitary Plan - common wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auckland Unitary Plan - common wall

Hi, I need some help interpreting the new unitary plan rules.
    We live in a duplex and would like to extend our house and build close to the side boundary that has the common wall. I'd like some clarification on how the new unitary plan effects us in relation to the side yard controls and height in relation to boundary controls

This is what the Unitary Plan (Mixed Housing Urban Zone) states:
    Standard H5.6.5(1) (height in relation to boundary) and Standard H5.6.8(1) (Yards (1m side yard)) does not apply to site boundaries where there is an existing common wall between two buildings on adjacent sites or where a common wall is proposed

Does this mean we can build on the boundary with no height in relation to boundary rules?

If we compare the new rules to the old rules (Residential 6a) which states
    ..where a common wall: Is proposed between two buildings on adjacent sites then the building in relation to boundary control will not apply along the length of that common wall.

The key here for me is the phrase "will not apply along the length of that common wall" is missing from the unitary plan rules.
    My interpretation is that these controls may not apply to the entire length of our site boundary - not just the portion that has the common wall. Is this a fair interpretation?

Can anyone shed some light on where we stand? We don't have plans at this stage so can't just lodge a building consent and hope we don't need a resource consent.
    Any suggestions on how to approach this who we should talk to to get clarification?

Cheers

Hi Phil, I have the same query as you do above re: existing common wall and whether this means the height to boundary limit does not apply along the full site boundary length for future additions. Did you manage to find any further information or get clarity on this?

Comment

Working...
    X