Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's willing to share their experiences with 'self-managing' a new build rental?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's willing to share their experiences with 'self-managing' a new build rental?

Who's willing to share their experiences with 'self-managing' a new build rental?

I want to download your hard won wisdom.

I have a resource consent, lots of free time during the day, enough cash, and lots of energy to build a rental in my backyard. I am about to send out 'working drawings' to get prices for materials. I am looking for a 'labour only' builder (and can see that this will be a key relationship for the projects success).

I think, on this PT forum I am also looking for a few 'success stories' so that I can keep my motivation even when the ride gets scary!

Have a read in another PT thread, from about here.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
      Have a read in another PT thread, from about here.
      Thanks Perry, I did see that thread. I am hoping to meet up with someone (either in person, or just on the PT forum) someone who has 'been there and done that' and has a willingness to share some of their golden nuggets with me. I imagine there would be learnings for me to gain even if the person sharing had not done a build very recently. I am willing to travel anywhere in NZ to catch up with anyone who is willing to 'pay it forward'.

I think the main thing I need is to run my plan to someone who can spot the obvious flaws in it, and can also affirm some of the not so obvious progress I have made so far. I am seriously also in need of hearing some 'success stories' to keep me focused and energised!

Comment

Labour only builder with LBP?

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
          Is that like hens teeth?

Comment

Rarer.............

Comment

I don't like labour only contracts.

The reason is you end up spending more on and wasting more materials. Because the builder(s) doing the work have zero incentive to try and save anything. If they cut a bit of gib wrong, oh well, just throw it in the skip and get a new one, doesn't cost anything.

Or damaged a door, or cut a beam wrong, or anything else, same thing.

And so it's the waste I hate - more than the extra expense actually.
              Last edited by Davo36; 18-02-2017, 12:45 PM.
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
                They exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                  I don't like labour only contracts.

The reason is you end up spending more on and wasting more materials. Because the builder(s) doing the work have zero incentive to try and save anything. If they cut a bit of gib wrong, oh well, just throw it in the skip and get a new one, doesn't cost anything.

Or damaged a door, or cut a beam wrong, or anything else, same thing.

And so it's the waste I hate - more than the extra expense actually.
                  I suppose there will always be people who lack integrity but the lobour only guys I use are great.
                  When you find good people hang onto them and treat them with respect - works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                    They exist.
                    Yes they do.
                    But I read there is an expectation that the builder (with LBP) will end up project managing the build as Happi lacks this expertise. With the added responsibility comes a higher price and most labour only builders I know just want to get in and do their bit and onto the next job.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                      I suppose there will always be people who lack integrity but the lobour only guys I use are great.
                      When you find good people hang onto them and treat them with respect - works for me.
                      I agree, good tradespeople are worth their weight in gold.

I'm yet to find a good builder though. Used 3 and they all had various areas they weren't good on.
                      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                      X