X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatpumps / Insulation

Hi everyone,

Long time looker, first time poster.

I finally have my first house (and rental). It definitely needs insulation and probably a heatpump. I looked through some of the threads to find recommendations but can't really find any. What brands / product should I be looking at and any recomendations?

The house is in Manurewa, AK.

Thanks
    Cindy

Insulation - get offcuts for somewhere between free and $100 per house from many insulation installers. Installing it is messy and hard work but you keep an extra $1000 or so in your back pocket.
    Heatpump - check out trademe or demolition yards, anything around $100 per kw is good and about $400-500 to install. No point going new when you can get something near new quite easily for 1/3 of the price. Go for a reputable brand but which one is largely irrelevant, all much of a muchness

Comment

Was in a house today where the people had installed double glazing back in July last year. House is brick and tile about 14 years old.
      They kept a log of temperatures and say that the dbl glazing lifted the house temperature an average of 8 degrees. The house is well situated catches the sun well.

There is a lot of posts somewhere on the blog about heating and double glazing certainly gets good mentions.
      Capital wise its a bit more expensive. Its easier to live with and the tenant doesn't have ongoing heating costs which comes with a heat pump and you don't have the maintenance costs that come with machinery.

Given the choice I would go for double glazing after insulation.
      Done several lots of insulation this last few months and all the tenants have commented on the difference it made. Could be physiological of course.

Lots oh heat goes out through the glass.
      Last edited by Viking; 26-01-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

We have had dealings with some not nice companies over time. Including one that took our deposit for insulation and then closed down so it is important to have people to trust.
        But for our rentals there is now only one company we deal with. We got a SAYR ventilation system a while ago and were so impressed with the products and the company we used them for everything. They have done our 3 properties for ventilation, insulation and heatpumps, plus they can do electrical work also.
        They are very good and we couldn't recommend them more.

Comment

Interesting, I thought SAYR had gone under?

Comment

Hey everyone,

Thanks Andyp2010; Really good advice about the off cuts (at the cost 3 boxes of Heineken) I managed to insulate my rental. The thicknesses are a bit mix and match and the pieces are a lot smaller but in just about all the bedrooms and the lounge I had enough pieces to double layer it. You weren't kidding about it being a terrible job, it took us two days and it was SOOOOO HOT! I think I've lost a couple of kilos but worth it in the end.

We have the new heatpump going in on Wednesday next week. Had three local companies quote - They were pretty much the same price but we went with Sayr (Thanks Yoshibear) the thing that stood out for me is that the lady who came around actually listen to what I wanted and then explained the options, whereas the others told me with no explanation . (One guy was very arrogant / sleazy and the other thought he was Mr funnyman).

I'll post a follow up once it is all done.
            Thanks all
            Cindy

Comment

(One guy was very arrogant / sleazy and the other thought he was Mr funnyman).
              Lol, probably trying to impress you.

Some years ago the sales staff at PlaceMakers had their own business cards. A couple of times when my wife went there she was handed them by male staff. Saying things like "Don't hesitate to call if you need any further help"
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                Lol, probably trying to impress you.
                LOL Yeah probably - but epic fail!

We now have the heatpump in - Wow what a difference.

I do have to give big ups the boys from Sayr. On time, polite, put down drop sheets on the wooden floors plus the Canadian guy who installed it took time to explain exactly how to use and how it all worked. Fully recommend.

Comment

Heat pumps also helps in conserving the energy and lowering down the bills. You would have selected the brand until now. My aunt is also looking for the heat pumps and now planning to ask the heating contractors Morris county NJ professionals if they could recommend someone. Heating ventilating contractors have this expertise and also have experience with air conditioners, boilers, thermostats, ventilation, and heat pumps.

Comment

WOW I get my Heatpumps done down here in Christchurch for $69 each
                    Kaye
                    www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

Originally posted by Kaye View Post
                      WOW I get my Heatpumps done down here in Christchurch for $69 each
                      More info please!

Comment

airify.co.nz they offered me a Property Manager's pack
                        Last edited by donna; 11-09-2018, 10:48 AM.
                        Kaye
                        www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

I predict an epidemic of mould in heatpumps in a few years !

Regular cleaning of your heat pump filters or even washing them with anitbacterial solution does assist in the cleanliness, but contaminants such as mould and bacteria will immediately return. It can take as little as 3 months for mould to start to regrow on your heat pump evaporator coils if not treated correctly.Cleaning filters is not enough to remove all of the toxic mould contamination that could be in your heat pump!
                          The evaporator coils create a moist environment created inside your heat pump through normal operation and is the ideal environment for mould and bacteria to grow and flourish in as little as 3 months
                          Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

Originally posted by Keithw View Post
                            Don't worry about it Keith. Scaremongering BS. The only real life scenario I can think of that would allow mould to grow in the evaporator of the indoor unit would be to run it on drying (or cooling) mode in winter until the evaporator is wet and then switching it off for a couple days so the evaporator remains wet. Easy fix would be to run it in heating (or fan) mode within a few hours to dry out the evaporator.

Comment

Originally posted by Keithw View Post
                              I agree - and I recall in Melbourne the new aquatic centre had someone get Legionnaires disease from the air con units. Also there was an outbreak in a hospital when I was living in Melbourne.

cheers,

Donna
                              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
                              X