Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenancy ending inspection

Hello all,

I need some advice. My tenant is moving out in three weeks. I am going to do tenancy ending inspection on a Saturday morning after the tenant has moved out on Friday.

The tenant cancelled the last inspection which was supposed to be last week. The tenant had made a hole in her bedroom door. I wanted to discuss about it yet she cancelled the inspection.

I feel that there will be more problems. I am sure she will not clean the property. She was reluctant to do so in the past. I feel that she will not pay her rents and tell me that I can charge it from the bond money. The bond money will not be enough for cleaning, fixing the door and paying her missing rent. What should I do?

Thanks

Stopping to pay rent is illegal - tell her this.
    Make another appointment to inspect now and insist.

Comment

You can carry out an inspection without her approval or her presents. You just need to give the required written notice having left sufficient time since the last successful inspection. Save a copy for your notes.

The first second past midnight that the rent is late issue a 14 day notice to remedy. Again save a copy.

If it goes to TT you need to prove that you were following the rules and were giving correct notice/s.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. As I suspected, she stopped paying already from today. I emailed to her that

"I am giving you this notice to inspect property on Sunday 29th January. I shall be coming between 9.00-11.00 in the morning. It has been more than 4 weeks since the property was last inspected on 8th of December 2016. Your last rent was paid on 17th January. Your next rent has not showed up today. It is your responsibility to pay the rent under the tenancy agreement when rent is due. Please check and pay it immediately. If you have paid, ignore this note."

However, her response was "OK I've already said no. We are not home I'm going to have to ring the tenancy tribunal to find out my rights".

I have no idea why it is so difficult for the tenant to have property inspected. It is normal process for landlords to inspect 1 or 2 weeks earlier before the final inspection so that both tenant and landlord have time to sort out an issue if there is.

Can I really inspect the property in her absence as long as I given her notice?

Thanks

Comment

Encourage your tenant to contact Tenancy services to get her rights on the matter. Give her the phone number and web address.

Encourage her to ask about not paying rent in the last weeks and what could happen if there is inscifficent bond to cover any back rent and required repairs/cleaning.

You need to give her a date that the back rent must be paid by (14 days for example) and include a statement that she must keep up with payments until the tenancy has ended.

You also need to do some reading up. These are basics.

Comment

Perhaps she is busy that day. Have you asked her when would be convenient for her for this inspection. Tell her it has to be done and if she can't give a time convenient to you both then go ahead with what you've told her.

Comment

Many thanks!! I 'll do my reading

Comment

Give her notice and do the inspection. She has no rights about that.
                Send her a 14 day notice to pay her rent. the day after she is in arrears. i.re. immediately.

She won't ring tenancy but is just trying to threaten you because you don't know the rules and apply them
                Even using the rules you can get done. Just taken us 6 weeks to get a tenancy date mean time our tart skipped sometime in the last 3 weeks leaving the loo deliberately locked and overflowing and that has now caused a lot of damage.

First time in17 years I have had this and yes we did everything right.
                Carpets going vinyl going, walls being cut some up to the second nog. 3 bedrooms, hallway bathroom and loo. All sewerage contaminated.

Comes from Gisbourne and has gone back there.

Name. Dominique Fenton

Was actually recommended by another good tenant but we were cautious and gave her a fixed term which expires next week. Can't even get possession easily when they bugger off, especially at this time of the year.

Hopefully plenty of cover.

Generally anything that has had sewerage involved has to be removed and dumped. That includes particle board flooring and gib board .
                Reckon we are looking at about 20K.
                Last edited by Viking; 24-01-2017, 09:54 PM.

Comment

I offered to come whenever it is convenient for her. Her reply was " No to inspection I'm not going through it twice in two weeks. ". Since she is going to have a final inspection on 11 February, she thinks having inspection now is too much for her.

Comment

She is playing you. Know your rights - follow the advice given above
                    Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

If you have given proper notice of an inspection, the fact that she cannot be there is irrelevant.

You are legally allowed to enter the property and carry out the inspection in her absence.

If she bars you from doing that ( how? ) she is in breach of the Act.
                      Last edited by flyernzl; 25-01-2017, 09:53 PM.

Comment

A) learn your business
                        B) employ someone to run your business
                        C) find something else to invest in.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

What Keys said !!

Comment

Working...
                          X