• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Room flooded but no compensation

My daughters friend in Queenstown has had her room flooded from an accident outside the flat (by contractors)

the carpet is soaked and contractors have come -lifted it, and put large blow dryers ,making the room uninhabitable.(which is what they told her)

There will be no hot water for 3 days and the tenant is currently on the couch--So far the PM is saying no compensation.
    Life is difficult as she works very early and cant sleep enough.

As far as I can see ,she is not being provided with the accommodation she is paying rent for.

I suppose it should be noted that there is a major housing shortage down there which provides a stressful backdrop
    in terms of options.

As far as I know the landlord is not in Queenstown. Ive told them to keep paying rent ,so its a matter of recouping the lost rent. There are no alternative places for accommodation(according to the PM) available.

Suggestions on the best way to move forward would,Im sure be welcome.

plenty of motels in Qtown

Would compensation not be required from the contractor[s], rather than the PI/PM?
    With all the Draconian new laws for residential rental LLs, perhaps AirBnB would be better? To avoid any hassle in Hawke's Bay, consult Be My Hostess. Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

I'd say compensation is due from the contractors but it's the PM's responsibility to get it for the tenant.

The tenant is paying for a product/service from the PM and she's not getting her money's worth. Therefore the PM is failing in their responsibility under the consumers guarantees act in my opinion.

If the PM is not stepping up then the tenant should make more noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Learning View Post
    Therefore the PM is failing in their responsibility under the consumers guarantees act in my opinion. If the PM is not stepping up then the tenant should make more noise.
    Not sure about the implication of the CGA. However, the RTA - certainly. The tenant should issue a 14 day notice, I suspect.
    With all the Draconian new laws for residential rental LLs, perhaps AirBnB would be better? To avoid any hassle in Hawke's Bay, consult Be My Hostess. Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    The tenant should issue a 14 day notice, I suspect.
    I suspect the tenant wants to stay there Perry. Not leave.

I understood that, but a 14 day notice to comply with the RTA is not notice of end of tenancy and if the PM issues one, retaliation would be the likely motivation.

Not sure about the implication of the CGA. However, the RTA - certainly. The tenant should issue a 14 day notice, I suspect.
    Hi
    But then you could have the tenant sleeping on a couch for 13 days and on day 14 the PM say...all good we have dried out you room ...so it really doesn't sort out compensation for not having use of the room for X amount of days.
    Thanks
    Richard

Read section 45 and 59 of the RTA.

I understood that, but a 14 day notice to comply with the RTA is not notice of end of tenancy.
    I'm being pedantic here Perry.

Please show the authority which a tenant has to give a 14 day notice to comply with the RTA in situations where termination is not considered.

Thread Information