Room flooded but no compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
    The smart and pragmatic approach would be for the tenant to contact the contracting company for compensation and follow this up in the DT if needed.
    I disagree. If you apply the issue to any other real world situation...

For example - Season tickets to your local favorite sports team's home matches, paid in weekly installments. A third party contractor accidentally burns down the stadium while working on powerlines across the road. All home games are moved to the other side of the country. The club, who you purchased the tickets from's attitude is - "All the games are still on. It's not our fault the location is inconvenient to you. If you have an issue then speak to Inferno Electrical who burnt down the stadium. By the way, a friendly reminder your payment is still due on Friday."
    Last edited by Learning; 02-02-2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

0800TENANCY line advises tenant would not be due for any compensation regarding matters outside of landlords control.

Comment

That's great news.
        I have been fretting a bit about the damage caused to my tenants furniture from the leaks in the roof while the contractor was replacing the roof.

Now I can sleep easy - as I told her, its between her and the contractor.

Comment

I assume you guys know this, it turns out if you are rehabbing that unless you get a specific separate insurance contract to cover the renovation period you have no insurance. As we found out after a tap failed and we lost all our new basement gib :-(.

Comment

Yes, AMI specifically excludes any damaged caused as a result of any roofing material being removed by anyone legally entitled to do so.
            I made sure that I sighted the roofers insurance before I let the job.

Comment

Apparently all landlord policies are void during anyperiod a house isnt inhabitable. Remove toilet or bathroom etc. no insurance for damage. You have to have a separate contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
                Apparently all landlord policies are void during anyperiod a house isnt inhabitable. Remove toilet or bathroom etc. no insurance for damage. You have to have a separate contract.
                My understanding is you are still covered as long as you notify the insurance company if the property will be vacant for more than 30 days [it may be longer than that for some policies].

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                  My understanding is you are still covered as long as you notify the insurance company if the property will be vacant for more than 30 days [it may be longer than that for some policies].
                  Probably comes down to the usual - read the contract (including all the fine fine print).

Comment

Originally posted by skid View Post
                    My daughters friend in Queenstown has had her room flooded from an accident outside the flat (by contractors)

the carpet is soaked and contractors have come -lifted it, and put large blow dryers ,making the room uninhabitable.(which is what they told her)

There will be no hot water for 3 days and the tenant is currently on the couch--So far the PM is saying no compensation.
                    Life is difficult as she works very early and cant sleep enough.

As far as I can see ,she is not being provided with the accommodation she is paying rent for.

I suppose it should be noted that there is a major housing shortage down there which provides a stressful backdrop
                    in terms of options.

As far as I know the landlord is not in Queenstown. Ive told them to keep paying rent ,so its a matter of recouping the lost rent. There are no alternative places for accommodation(according to the PM) available.

Suggestions on the best way to move forward would,Im sure be welcome.
                    How can the property manager justify that they aren't entitled to compensation when one room is out of action?

You need to show the property manager what the tenant has 'lost' as a result of this and then provide an amount of compensation that you feel you are entitled to.

Presuming the pm doesn't entertain this then put them on notice for 14 days and then apply to the tribunal, I would be confident you'll have a successful claim.
                    Fraser Wilkinson
                    www.managemyrental.co.nz
                    Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

Working...
                    X