My experience in house hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience in house hunting

After 2 month of looking I would like to share my experience which I think may be valuable for some one who in same budget looking.
    I was looking for family house to live in within the normal family budget of 700 to 730K

As living in east try to find anything withing this range the mission is impossible houses are overpriced for only 2 reasons safety and good schools only find houses that with issues such as divided house in shared land and with 2 bedroom and the third room is only a study and they call it room

Moved to search in Papakura good land and house but no proper primary or secondary school plus you need a dog and security system to protect your self from dally robbers Only Conifer grove and you pay for this and extra 200K

Moved to look in pukekohe extremely far 40K to the city and around 2 hour transportation gets good schools but you again pay for this around 50K extra than average house also the house price there is same like Auckland and more expensive than Papakura.

Moved to look in Pamure or Mt willington great area close to city but not suitable for family with kids lots of state house that clearly not as home owners no proper school also safety issues .

Conclusion:
    * Many investors are trying to sell to the gain profit after exactly 2 years of buying the house some of them are rented and it shows the owner occupied seems alot of games going on also noticed many get a loan of 80% for investment and he did not own a house.

*No serious sellers most of sellers they wants either to sell in min 20K above the last sell price in his nearby house.

* Many houses went to auction and did not sell

*Home owners expectation are too high to met specially when the house in good condition is overpriced.

*You pay for the failure of the government to provide safety to community against robbers who they help they encourage be bringing more and more form overseas to stay in state houses.

*As we all pay the same tax amount I guess it is not fair system some one who lives in bad area of school and with robbers around him everywhere to pay the same amount that is not fair.

*Government is the main cause of home overpriced issued by not working in other areas to balance the service.

*The issue will keep escalating and going on as long as no social and transportation development to other areas.

*New houses are also very expensive due to extremely costly regulation form the council, building material that is costly than any other country and the land price.

What u have described is probably true for anywhere in the world. Better area = expensive. But I dont understand how u came up with those conclusions based on ur experience.

Comment

No not always in Egypt for example where I came from all government school same level and you may find good public school in poor area

Comment

Originally posted by khaled_Eid View Post
        No not always in Egypt for example where I came from all government school same level and you may find good public school in poor area
        Yes, everything you said is true.
        I enjoy your fresh look at what we have become blind to.

Comment

There seems to be a lot of criticism of the government in your post, perhaps with your experience with Egypt you could compare what you're seeing in NZ vs. your experience in Egypt and tell us what NZ could be doing better?

Comment

The Egyptian government is better than NZ's? Oh yeah? Mubarak? The military junta that are now in place?

Egypt safer than Auckland? I doubt it.
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

I think with schooling this is a specifically Auckland problem that really affects South and West Auckland. I read in the Herald a couple of weeks ago that 45% of high school students in Manurewa go to school outside of the area and 35% in West Auckand go to school outside of their zone so parents percieve the school to not be good. Probaby worthwhile buying a house outside the zone (so cheaper) and getting on the ballot for out of zone applications.

Comment

That post not to compare between countries and if so I am not the best person for this, I just mention that other counties have good schools (but to not compare it to the international standards ) but good as local ones and in some schools are far better than private ones.

IF you want to know about safety military and other there are many pages in English you may refer to also the NZ safe travell advise tried to add the link and did not work

Comment

Hi
                  Same Answer as below the post to share the experience I find may for someone who may interest not to compare because a lot of diversion between both just wants to mention that spreading of good school will benefit residents in other areas .

Comment

That post not to compare between countries and if so I am not the best person for this, I just mention that other counties have good schools (but to not compare it to the international standards ) but good as local ones and in some schools are far better than private ones.

IF you want to know about safety military and other there are many pages in English you may refer to also the NZ safe travell advise tried to add the link and did not work
                    i think this is a cop out... You decide to give an opinion on the Auckland market, you should be prepared to back those statements up... You and I both know you are streets ahead here in NZ vs. Egypt on almost any metric.

To to come here and post your complaints on the NZ system seems a little rich. I too am from outside NZ but I think this country provides a vastly better environment to live, buy a home, educate my children and provide safety for my family than most countries. Not perfect but better than many many (most) alternatives

your post about your challenges in the housing market are in my opinion sounds like what i call first world problems. when you consider what you or your countrymen have to deal with on a daily basis.

You need to spend a moment thinking about how luck you are with the opportunity this country provides you!
                    Last edited by Don't believe the Hype; 26-12-2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Mc Duck
                      I should have added monolithic cladding building are hard to sell and not many people can buy they are still not cheaper than others unless they have some cracks.
                      I noticed also lack of maintenance if some one own a car for few dollars he would care more than a house who live in

Comment

IF you read clearly the post and try to understand it you will know what I am saying If I would like make a comparison I would not even do it as I said nothing similar that both countries existing but location, weather, culture, political system are all different so no sense to compare.
                        I just shared what I think for few month of hunting happy to discuss about the post and not what other think

Comment

*No serious sellers most of sellers they wants either to sell in min 20K above the last sell price in his nearby house.

* Many houses went to auction and did not sell

*Home owners expectation are too high to met specially when the house in good condition is overpriced.
                          With every newspaper headline, media channel and every estate agent telling you how much your house has exploded in value some people will of course be trying their luck. They don't need to sell, might not even want to, but if just half the stories are true someone will give them silly money for their rundown, tired, empty nest. But if the thousand and one Chinese investors aren't willing to pay the price needed for their next dream home then they don't sell. Some have pulled it off now hundreds more are trying their luck.

*You pay for the failure of the government to provide safety to community against robbers who they help they encourage be bringing more and more form overseas to stay in state houses.

*As we all pay the same tax amount I guess it is not fair system some one who lives in bad area of school and with robbers around him everywhere to pay the same amount that is not fair..
                          So those in poorer areas should pay less tax, making them more desirable and more popular, pushing up their prices and forcing them to pay more tax.... it's an intresting revenue raising idea.

Comment

Hi, i am not familiar with egypt's system. Is it a communist country? can you explain how they achieve it? Btw, i dont think in nz, people in the poor area pay the same tax, they usually pay less as they earn less.

Comment

@Khaled_Eid,

What do you expect to get for 720K ? 2, 3 bedrooms , land ..?

This is for 675K in docile 9 area with very good school
                              Find your dream home in New Zealand with Trade Me. Browse our full range of NZ real estate listings to discover the perfect property for families, couples and s...

I have nothing to do with this listing, just i know the area.
                              Last edited by ammar; 26-12-2016, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X