X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keys View Post
    ? (maalmfc)
    Originally posted by DazRaz View Post
    Again that seems too late. I usually engage a lawyer when the contract is signed. Some would say that is too late. Last time I asked them for recommended clauses to add to the standard contract before signing. With all the quake complications you don't want to leave yourself open to problems.
    Depends on how many real estate transactions you have done. For a freshie with no experience & no fear appetite the comfort of having a lawyer by their side is good enough. For me they add no real value until mortgage stage.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket View Post
      Depends on how many real estate transactions you have done. For a freshie with no experience & no fear appetite the comfort of having a lawyer by their side is good enough. For me they add no real value until mortgage stage.
      i agree level of experience does matter and can change when you engage your lawyer...

Why do you feel lawyers add value with what is broadly a straight forward process/contract vs. the purchase process that can often have more complexity?

Comment

? (maalmfc)
        Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
        i agree level of experience does matter and can change when you engage your lawyer...

Why do you feel lawyers add value with what is broadly a straight forward process/contract vs. the purchase process that can often have more complexity?
        Are you asking for more information or just for fun sake?

Comment

Are you asking for more information or just for fun sake?
          To be honest, I've lost interest

Comment

? (maalmfc)
            To be honest, I've lost interest
            I knew that ... it's nothing to debate about 🤓

Comment

I knew that ... it's nothing to debate about 邏
              nah... It's just that engaging a lawyer too late is a false economy and I'm not really interested in you trying to convince me to not get good advice on a property purchase to save a few bucks

Comment

? (maalmfc)
                nah... It's just that engaging a lawyer too late is a false economy and I'm not really interested in you trying to convince me to not get good advice on a property purchase to save a few bucks

Yup... same here as I am not interested to explain you otherwise. Hence I checked

Comment

Just got my lawyers bill for asking him to please read through our contract and advise on how to proceed should we wish to terminate our builders service. Had a 1 hour meeting (was done in 30mins except he kept going over everything in what seemed to be an attempt to stretch the meeting to an hour) got 3 emails from him and a bill of close to $3000. Wondering how much more it will come to to actually terminate the builders 'service' (or lack thereof). Ouch - has anyone got an idea how much this will cost all up?

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean View Post
                    Just got my lawyers bill for asking him to please read through our contract and advise on how to proceed should we wish to terminate our builders service. Had a 1 hour meeting (was done in 30mins except he kept going over everything in what seemed to be an attempt to stretch the meeting to an hour) got 3 emails from him and a bill of close to $3000. Wondering how much more it will come to to actually terminate the builders 'service' (or lack thereof). Ouch - has anyone got an idea how much this will cost all up?

Did is you ask for a quote?

Comment

Yes he said its about $400/hour and he is a senior partner. I was expecting $800-$1200 bill, but we have not even taken action yet to serve the notice of default. It is 1 standard Contract, the schedule of payment, 12 emails and a 1 hour meeting. That means he spent roughly 6 hours on this plus GST?

Comment

You can challenge the bill just like any other service provider. 5 hrs for 12 emails seems excessive even for someone who can't touch type

Comment

Do you know what time he's spent behind the scenes doing other checks, referencing similar cases, etc.

Comment

You can challenge the bill just like any other service provider. 5 hrs for 12 emails seems excessive even for someone who can't touch type
                            The 12 emails had been written by me to the builder itemising what I was unhappy with during the course of the year. The lawyer just had to read them!

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                              Do you know what time he's spent behind the scenes doing other checks, referencing similar cases, etc.
                              No idea what checks he needed to do as my instruction was for him to review all I gave him and let me know what ALL my various options were. On meeting with the lawyer had did tell us he was familiar with the building company as there had been a query by another client many years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X