Theft of property by the NZ police.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Viking View Post
    So; do we think the landlord knew? Will he lose what is already a devalued house?
    Depends, was the conversion to a grow house done before or after the last inspection and was the inspection schedule adequate?

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
      Depends, was the conversion to a grow house done before or after the last inspection and was the inspection schedule adequate?
      Schedule adequate for what?
      To find evidence of illegal activities? I don't think that is the main reason for inspections. Maybe the Police could pay for extra inspections?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
        To find evidence of illegal activities? I don't think that is the main reason for inspections. Maybe the Police could pay for extra inspections?
        Criminals, being of the type who win at another's expense, will try to keep their Ill gotten gains through deception.
        Since property can be confiscated while being used to aid a crime, then they will simply commit the crime with someone else's property.
        Forcing landlords to be vigilant on a whole new level.

Comment

It amazes me that some landlords give notice of an inspection to the tenant.
          Then, when the tenant says 'thats not convenient', say 'OK then, we wont do it'.

The convenience of the tenant should not be a factor.
          If the inspection is scheduled with the proper notice then it should be done no matter how much the tenant protests.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuck View Post
            Criminals, being of the type who win at another's expense, will try to keep their Ill gotten gains through deception.
            Since property can be confiscated while being used to aid a crime, then they will simply commit the crime with someone else's property.
            Forcing landlords to be vigilant on a whole new level.
            Are you trying to say that if someone commits a crime using my house they can take my house?
            And that I have to do inspections often enough to find said crime?
            I don't think so!
            Am I supposed to know what all crimes look like?

Comment

What are you supposed to do if you find evidence of illegal activity during an inspection, other than issue a 90 day notice and apply to TT for immediate possession? Should you inform the cops that you found a grow room in the back bedroom of your rental or a meth lab in the garage?

Comment

14 day notice for breach of the TA/RTA

Comment

What are you supposed to do if you find evidence of illegal activity during an inspection, other than issue a 90 day notice and apply to TT for immediate possession? Should you inform the cops that you found a grow room in the back bedroom of your rental or a meth lab in the garage?
                  It's at your perogative whether you call cops or not. Its not a crime to not report crime.

This law has been around for a long time and there is no case or evidence that cops would go after Joe blogs landlords.

Cops would however pursue those actively involved in the drug world.

Comment

I think 3 monthly is adequate. No, finding evidence of illegal activities is not the main reason for inspections but if you found a hydroponics setup in the back bedroom I think you'd get suspicious something was up.

Google tell's me that a marijuana plant is productive in about 8 weeks and produces for about 7 months.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                      14 day notice for breach of the TA/RTA
                      Then a week later, after receiving another weeks rent, the house gets raided. The cops can then prove that you accepted that weeks rent knowing full well that it was from the proceeds of crime and you've now forfeited the house.

Comment

Then a week later, after receiving another weeks rent, the house gets raided. The cops can then prove that you accepted that weeks rent knowing full well that it was from the proceeds of crime and you've now forfeited the house.
                        I really doubt this!

Comment

Are you trying to say that if someone commits a crime using my house they can take my house?
                          And that I have to do inspections often enough to find said crime?
                          I don't think so!
                          Am I supposed to know what all crimes look like?
                          No. It's a bit like receiving stolen property. At some point logic suggests it's too cheap and added to that the fact that you bought it from a dodgy chap in a pub.
                          So if the place stinks and there are empty chemical bags in a pile behind the house..you might be in the loop.

Comment

Defense:

- I believed there was evidence of drug manufacture so I prepared/ was preparing a breach notice.
                            - I believed there was evidence of drug manufacture, I was too scared for my safety to report this, the tenants are associated with (insert gang here). - ((why rent to ppl like these eek.))
                            - I was aware but not really sure what to do.
                            - I thought there may be something, but did not want to look into it.

No Defense:
                            - I was aware and told them they could only continue if they gave me a quarter of their profits otherwise I would dob them in.
                            - I am an associate of (gang) and knowingly leased house to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Boom View Post
                              It's at your perogative whether you call cops or not. Its not a crime to not report crime.

This law has been around for a long time and there is no case or evidence that cops would go after Joe blogs landlords.

Cops would however pursue those actively involved in the drug world.
                              Except that they have now voiced the opinion that they might and like any creeping Jesus it will happen.

Comment

Well not necessarily.
                                They would have to prove ihe money came from drug sales as there may well be other income in the house.

Comment

Working...
                                X