Garage to Sleepout with Bathroom/Kitchenette Consent and Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage to Sleepout with Bathroom/Kitchenette Consent and Costs

Property that has a garage, part of it is being used as a sleep out. Work was done before 91/92 so i know i could get a safe and sanitary report for what is there at the moment.

I want to have this rented separately while i live in the main house. What needs to be done to have a bathroom (shower/toilet/vanity) and some type of kitchen facilities? possibly a laundry?

Will i need to get a consent? COA?
    How much roughly would that amount of work cost?
    How much would the consent cost?

Look forward to hearing

Anyone?

I would assume getting water would be the main issue? any idea on costs?

Comment

I'm about to do something similar in Welligton so ask me again in 2 months to be sure. I'm told I need to get development resource consent as it's a change of use and will be a new separate connection to services.
      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Go speak with a designer who can do the working drawings and will know what council want from a look at the place.
        Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

What you are proposing is basically changing the garage into a minor dwelling.

Best to speak to your local council planner.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
            What you are proposing is basically changing the garage into a minor dwelling.

Best to speak to your local council planner.
            call it granny flat and see if that makes a difference.

It is not a change of use under the building act. It is self contained space for members of the same household either you, granny or your boarder/flatmate. Planners seem to understand granny best.

extra plumbing needs consent and getting waste water away is the hard part depending on where the dwelling drains run?

the garage to bedroom doesnt need consent so a CoA or even S and S isnt required.

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
              It is self contained space for members of the same household either you, granny or your boarder/flatmate. Planners seem to understand granny best.
              A good slant JTB but the poster did say they wanted to rent it out seperately.
              I took that to be totally seperate but maybe a 'flatmate' would be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                A good slant JTB but the poster did say they wanted to rent it out seperately.
                I took that to be totally seperate but maybe a 'flatmate' would be enough.
                I want to live in the main house and rent/have a boarder at the back that has its own bathroom and cooking facilities if possible. So our living is separate from their living areas
                Last edited by investorak; 22-11-2016, 09:45 AM.

Comment

It is not a change of use under the building act. It is self contained space for members of the same household either you, granny or your boarder/flatmate. Planners seem to understand granny best.

extra plumbing needs consent and getting waste water away is the hard part depending on where the dwelling drains run?

the garage to bedroom doesnt need consent so a CoA or even S and S isnt required.
                  Thanks will do

How can i tell how the dwelling drains run? will be on the lim?

How much would you think adding a bathroom would cost? is it 5k?20k?50k?

Comment

Originally posted by investorak View Post
                    Thanks will do

How can i tell how the dwelling drains run? will be on the lim?

How much would you think adding a bathroom would cost? is it 5k?20k?50k?
                    ask a local plumber and drainlayer

drainage plan may be on LIM but also could be on property file. Drainlayer could work this out?\

Dont say SEPARATE you mean self contained but part of your household. The distinction can cost mega$$$$

Comment

Thanks John

I just noticed that the title of the thread now includes kitchenette.

Can sleepout have kitchenette?

Comment

Can sleepout have kitchenette?
                        a graany flat can

there is no law that says you cant have two kitchens in a house. The building act is clearer but the problem is with planazis who interpret the definition of residential dwelling as meaning that every kitchen is another dwelling.

the law is one thing the "planazis" another. Some recognize a granny flat as sspecial case but this is because the not seperate is clearer to them.

one thing is clear is that if you march in saying "minor dwelling" separate and exclusive then they will hit you with all the levys, parking and living courts etc that they can, so tread carefully.

o the other hand if you want separate and exclusive muiltiple tenancies then this is the way you go..................
                        Last edited by John the builder; 22-11-2016, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Is this correct?

What i am wanting is a granny flat (self contained)

If i wanted to have separate tenancies then it would need to be a minor dwelling and this would be alot more expensive.

I will take someone that should be able to do the council side of things, i will need to speak to plumber/drain layer about costs. Anyone on here know roughly what i would be looking at?

Alternatively i could have one of those temporary cabins that have an ensuite in them at the back of the property but thats pretty ugly
                          Last edited by investorak; 22-11-2016, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Is there a difference between a studio and sleepout?

Comment

They are completely different. A studio is a livable apartment with no separate bedroom, a sleepout is somewhere people sleep not somewhere to live.

Comment

Working...
                              X