Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron roof replacement recommendation!

Hi Guys,

I have an IP in south Auckland and we want to replace our old roof in few months time. It is a Iron roof. Could someone please recommend me a good roof replacement business/contractor in Auckland? It would be great if you can also provide me with an estimate figure for a 90sqm house based on your experiences.

By the way, can this cost be shown as an expense in my tax returns or will it come as a development expense?

Hello Im new at this too. From what I understood its best to choose a NZ steel product and it seems coloursteel or colourcote are the 2 market leaders. With tradies being so scarce I think you should avoid seperate purchase and installation. Maybe see who the retailers for these products are in your area and make sure the quote is for roof and installation. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by aucklandn81 View Post
      By the way, can this cost be shown as an expense in my tax returns or will it come as a development expense?
      Depends!
      If you have had the place for 20 years then it is probably an expense.
      If you have just purchased it then you need to capitalise the cost.

Comment

Your builder should do this for you (I assume its for your new build) or a roofer will source the product and do the install.
        Get a few quotes! Had a big 2-storey house in Wellington done and quotes were between 15K - 25K for the same product/timeframe. If you get an individual you can go lower, cost + x% etc. I went through a roofing company.

Originally posted by Jellybean View Post
        Hello Im new at this too. From what I understood its best to choose a NZ steel product and it seems coloursteel or colourcote are the 2 market leaders. With tradies being so scarce I think you should avoid seperate purchase and installation. Maybe see who the retailers for these products are in your area and make sure the quote is for roof and installation. Good Luck!
        Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Thank you very much for your advises. Jellybean, Wayne and Nick. Really appreciated:-)

Comment

Hi Guys,

Finally I started getting quotes and working through them in understanding the material, etc. As this is my first time doing this, I have many doubts as below, lol. It would be great if you can help me to understand these.

a) Is corrugated coloursteel Endura or trapezodial coloursteel the same product from Coloursteel but for different pitch?

b) Is Colour zinacore a good product? Or it is always better to go with coloursteel Endura product?

c) One of the roofers recommended a gauge of 0.55 to avoid any damages due to people climbing where some gave the quote with 0.4. Which one is better to go for? For example if my existing roof is of 0.4 gauge (not sure what it is exactly and it is 60s house), can we replace it with 0.55 without any issues to structure, etc? Is there any rationality or compliance on which gauge should be used for a particular house?

d) Are there any items apart from material that I should be careful in re-roofing?

e) Can tenants stay in the house legally during roof work? Or should I move them or give them compensation somehow?

I am probably posting too many questions here but thought of hearing from experienced people, who would have already exercised this process.

Many Thanks for all of your help on this.

Comment

Re roofing is far more simple than you think. A single level 90m2 house would be completed in 2 days. There should be relatively little impact to the tenants. Especially if they're st work during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                Re roofing is far more simple than you think. A single level 90m2 house would be completed in 2 days. There should be relatively little impact to the tenants. Especially if they're st work during the day.
                Thank you. Don't believe the Hype. Do you have other suggestions by any chance on other stuff like materials?

Comment

Thicker gauge will last longer, thinner may be false economy.

While the roof is open, its a good opportunity to check/refresh insulation.

Have you talked to Matt Kitto, Kitto Roofing? We were happy with his work.
                  DFTBA

Comment

Am about to recoat a roof in Liquid Rubber. Had a look at this. The roof is in Rotorua so suffers from rust. The rubber is sprayed over th existing. No need to apply rust proofing. Its thick and can be in colour. Has a 10 year warranty.

https://www.liquidrubber.co.nz/

https://www.facebook.com/LiquidRubberNZ/

You can buy the product at Mega 10 if you want to try some.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                      Am about to recoat a roof in Liquid Rubber. Had a look at this. The roof is in Rotorua so suffers from rust. The rubber is sprayed over th existing. No need to apply rust proofing. Its thick and can be in colour. Has a 10 year warranty.

How much is it per 10litre pail?

Comment

Originally posted by cube View Post
                        Thicker gauge will last longer, thinner may be false economy.

While the roof is open, its a good opportunity to check/refresh insulation.

Have you talked to Matt Kitto, Kitto Roofing? We were happy with his work.
                        Thank you very much for the recommendation and advise. Cube

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post

Thank you very much for the suggestion. Viking.

Comment

Originally posted by aucklandn81 View Post
                            Thank you. Don't believe the Hype. Do you have other suggestions by any chance on other stuff like materials?

Don't go cheap on the gauge of your steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                              Don't go cheap on the gauge of your steel.
                              Sure, Thank you for the suggestion. Don't believe the Hype.

Comment

Working...
                              X