Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Untreated Timber allowed for decks also post 1994

Hi there

Any idea if the relaxation given for use of utkd timber in home construction was applicable for decks also?

Thanks for advising
    Last edited by jamesnz; 24-10-2016, 08:29 PM.

We have problems with rotting decking timber , (mahogany), imported from Fiji in the last 5 years so yes is the answer.

Comment

Hi Bob

Thanks for the information

Actually I am trying to ascertain if the timber used in the framing in the house built in 2002 has treated or untreated timber
      I can see the markings on the timber on the deck that it is treated.

so if it was optional, and yet treated timber was used In the deck, then the probability of treated timber being used in the framing also goes up

is my reasoning correct ?

The house is dry and has no high elevated moisture reading in the builders report but the house has monolithic cladding (James Harditex with Polystrene ) and built in 2000-2002 period and hence my apprehension.

The present owner is a second buyer and is reluctant to allow invasive testing for taking samples of the timber from the frame for testing as he would then have to inform all future buyers also that it has untreated timber, if the report so confirms.
      He is selling directly to avoid agent fees.
      At the moment he is selling saying that he has no information on the timber and buyer can take a decision based on the tests already done and what is visible
      He will allow any further test I so desire as long as it does not involve invasive testing.

i was thinking of engaging Maynard or Prendos for the 2nd pre purchase inspection test as they are both approved by NZIBS for pre purchase inspection and weather tighteness survey
      Any feedback on these 2 agencies ?
      Or any other agency which will be better in my case which the members can recommend
      i am only worried about the timber frame integrity at present.
      as already 15 years have passed since it has been built, and if there would have been moisture ingress and untreated timber used, then the frame would have a serious chance of failure in the near future
      If I purchase it, I will get a BEP polymer paint treatment done on the entire cladding and roof which I am told can mitigate the future risks to a very big extent in monolithic houses.

Any sense in getting a thermal infrared leak test done when there are no high moisture readings when taken with a moisture meter?
      if so , can the members recommend any agency in Wellington who has the latest camera, as I am told the camera plays a major role in this test.

Thanks for advising
      Last edited by jamesnz; 25-10-2016, 01:07 AM.

Comment

If the decking is pine, it would always be treated, so no indication of what was used in the framing sorry!
        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Get a decent inspector to look at it. Us guessing based on what you have seen is just silly.
          Get a contract signed conditional on inspection then get it inspected.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
            We have problems with rotting decking timber , (mahogany), imported from Fiji in the last 5 years so yes is the answer.
            Untreated Kiln Dried was not allowed to be used for decks.
            The decking timber could used untreated timber (maybe) as it is easy to replace but the structure would not be allowed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
              Untreated Kiln Dried was not allowed to be used for decks.
              The decking timber could used untreated timber (maybe) as it is easy to replace but the structure would not be allowed to.
              Hi ayne

I could not understand what you meant between Deck and Decking ?

Deck is the base on which we walk and the decking is the framework which supports the deck ?

Thanks for advising

Comment

Originally posted by jamesnz View Post
                Hi ayne

I could not understand what you meant between Deck and Decking ?

Deck is the base on which we walk and the decking is the framework which supports the deck ?

Thanks for advising
                The opposite really.
                When I said 'deck' I was meaning the structure (uprights, bearers etc) whereas 'decking' was the actual bit you walk on.
                Go to a timber merchant to buy 'decking' and they will sell you (mostly) the pine 90x20 or 90x40 (or 140x20 and 140x40) - with the option of Kwila and similar hardwoods.

For the deck structure I'm pretty sure it must be at least H3 treated (H4 for the bits in the ground) whereas the decking can be untreated hardwoods. But you won't find UTKD decking (pine) like you could find (before they changed the rules again) UTKD framing.
                The logic around the UTKD framing was that dry timber doesn't rot and while framing can actually get wet a deck will get wet.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                  The opposite really.
                  When I said 'deck' I was meaning the structure (uprights, bearers etc) whereas 'decking' was the actual bit you walk on.
                  Go to a timber merchant to buy 'decking' and they will sell you (mostly) the pine 90x20 or 90x40 (or 140x20 and 140x40) - with the option of Kwila and similar hardwoods.

For the deck structure I'm pretty sure it must be at least H3 treated (H4 for the bits in the ground) whereas the decking can be untreated hardwoods. But you won't find UTKD decking (pine) like you could find (before they changed the rules again) UTKD framing.
                  The logic around the UTKD framing was that dry timber doesn't rot and while framing can actually get wet a deck will get wet.

are we talking an open timber slat deck or a waterproof deck with a plywiood and menbrane or even cantilevered waterproof decl??

if the later then it could well be UTKD framing as it was considered protected but a disaster all the same. If open deck the above from Wayne applies

sorry just saw your other post

the logic is wrong if the deck was UTKD it wouldnt be there now but the house could be either, Find a damp spot it f the timber is not rotted it must be treated

if you use those company's then it will be a reclad for sure so save yourself the money and factor in the 200 -400 that that will cost.

those companys will just want the ticket clipped.
                  Last edited by John the builder; 25-10-2016, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Can't you just climb into the roof space and see if framing timber is marked treated or not?

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                      are we talking an open timber slat deck or a waterproof deck with a plywiood and menbrane or even cantilevered waterproof decl??

if the later then it could well be UTKD framing as it was considered protected but a disaster all the same. If open deck the above from Wayne applies
                      I hadn't thought of a waterproof deck.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanp View Post
                        Can't you just climb into the roof space and see if framing timber is marked treated or not?
                        Isn't this about the deck not the house frame?

Comment

I thought topicstarter tries to guess if framing is treated or not, by looking at the deck. I suggested that looking under roof might be a better idea (unless all of the roof is skillion type of course)

Comment

Hi there

i got the timber checked in the roof and no markings are visible of any treatment nor is there any color on the wood

So,it can be said with some certainty that it is untreated wood.

in such a scenario, if there are no high moisture readings at present, is it advisable to buy a monolithic house with UTKD framing ?

what are the chances of rot in future or even now especially when the owner is not allowing any invasive test to be carried out?
                            Moreover as there are no high moisture readings, where would we do the invasive tests?
                            it can't be done in more then 3-4 places without the costs becoming prohibitively high

I think it's too big a risk for a first time house buyer

Thanks for advising
                            Last edited by jamesnz; 26-10-2016, 02:19 AM.

Comment

I hope you buy something before you hit the hospice James.

Comment

Working...
                              X