• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    187

    Default Was Untreated Timber allowed for decks also post 1994

    Hi there

    Any idea if the relaxation given for use of utkd timber in home construction was applicable for decks also?

    Thanks for advising
    Last edited by jamesnz; 24-10-2016 at 08:29 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    We have problems with rotting decking timber , (mahogany), imported from Fiji in the last 5 years so yes is the answer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Hi Bob

    Thanks for the information

    Actually I am trying to ascertain if the timber used in the framing in the house built in 2002 has treated or untreated timber
    I can see the markings on the timber on the deck that it is treated.

    so if it was optional, and yet treated timber was used In the deck, then the probability of treated timber being used in the framing also goes up

    is my reasoning correct ?


    The house is dry and has no high elevated moisture reading in the builders report but the house has monolithic cladding (James Harditex with Polystrene ) and built in 2000-2002 period and hence my apprehension.

    The present owner is a second buyer and is reluctant to allow invasive testing for taking samples of the timber from the frame for testing as he would then have to inform all future buyers also that it has untreated timber, if the report so confirms.
    He is selling directly to avoid agent fees.
    At the moment he is selling saying that he has no information on the timber and buyer can take a decision based on the tests already done and what is visible
    He will allow any further test I so desire as long as it does not involve invasive testing.

    i was thinking of engaging Maynard or Prendos for the 2nd pre purchase inspection test as they are both approved by NZIBS for pre purchase inspection and weather tighteness survey
    Any feedback on these 2 agencies ?
    Or any other agency which will be better in my case which the members can recommend
    i am only worried about the timber frame integrity at present.
    as already 15 years have passed since it has been built, and if there would have been moisture ingress and untreated timber used, then the frame would have a serious chance of failure in the near future
    If I purchase it, I will get a BEP polymer paint treatment done on the entire cladding and roof which I am told can mitigate the future risks to a very big extent in monolithic houses.

    Any sense in getting a thermal infrared leak test done when there are no high moisture readings when taken with a moisture meter?
    if so , can the members recommend any agency in Wellington who has the latest camera, as I am told the camera plays a major role in this test.



    Thanks for advising
    Last edited by jamesnz; 25-10-2016 at 01:07 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    5,867

    Default

    If the decking is pine, it would always be treated, so no indication of what was used in the framing sorry!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    Get a decent inspector to look at it. Us guessing based on what you have seen is just silly.
    Get a contract signed conditional on inspection then get it inspected.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
    We have problems with rotting decking timber , (mahogany), imported from Fiji in the last 5 years so yes is the answer.
    Untreated Kiln Dried was not allowed to be used for decks.
    The decking timber could used untreated timber (maybe) as it is easy to replace but the structure would not be allowed to.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Untreated Kiln Dried was not allowed to be used for decks.
    The decking timber could used untreated timber (maybe) as it is easy to replace but the structure would not be allowed to.
    Hi ayne

    I could not understand what you meant between Deck and Decking ?

    Deck is the base on which we walk and the decking is the framework which supports the deck ?

    Thanks for advising

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesnz View Post
    Hi ayne

    I could not understand what you meant between Deck and Decking ?

    Deck is the base on which we walk and the decking is the framework which supports the deck ?

    Thanks for advising
    The opposite really.
    When I said 'deck' I was meaning the structure (uprights, bearers etc) whereas 'decking' was the actual bit you walk on.
    Go to a timber merchant to buy 'decking' and they will sell you (mostly) the pine 90x20 or 90x40 (or 140x20 and 140x40) - with the option of Kwila and similar hardwoods.

    For the deck structure I'm pretty sure it must be at least H3 treated (H4 for the bits in the ground) whereas the decking can be untreated hardwoods. But you won't find UTKD decking (pine) like you could find (before they changed the rules again) UTKD framing.
    The logic around the UTKD framing was that dry timber doesn't rot and while framing can actually get wet a deck will get wet.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    The opposite really.
    When I said 'deck' I was meaning the structure (uprights, bearers etc) whereas 'decking' was the actual bit you walk on.
    Go to a timber merchant to buy 'decking' and they will sell you (mostly) the pine 90x20 or 90x40 (or 140x20 and 140x40) - with the option of Kwila and similar hardwoods.

    For the deck structure I'm pretty sure it must be at least H3 treated (H4 for the bits in the ground) whereas the decking can be untreated hardwoods. But you won't find UTKD decking (pine) like you could find (before they changed the rules again) UTKD framing.
    The logic around the UTKD framing was that dry timber doesn't rot and while framing can actually get wet a deck will get wet.

    are we talking an open timber slat deck or a waterproof deck with a plywiood and menbrane or even cantilevered waterproof decl??

    if the later then it could well be UTKD framing as it was considered protected but a disaster all the same. If open deck the above from Wayne applies


    sorry just saw your other post

    the logic is wrong if the deck was UTKD it wouldnt be there now but the house could be either, Find a damp spot it f the timber is not rotted it must be treated

    if you use those company's then it will be a reclad for sure so save yourself the money and factor in the 200 -400 that that will cost.

    those companys will just want the ticket clipped.
    Last edited by John the builder; 25-10-2016 at 03:47 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Can't you just climb into the roof space and see if framing timber is marked treated or not?


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-08-2016, 10:55 PM
  2. Untreated timber
    By rach21 in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-06-2015, 12:46 PM
  3. Buying first home - 1994 - 2006 OK?
    By cbriggsnz in forum General (NZ)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-05-2015, 09:59 AM
  4. How to tell if a house is built with treated or untreated timber?
    By lamboflight in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16-08-2013, 01:41 PM
  5. Waterproofing and tiling decks
    By Rizowz in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-03-2012, 07:31 PM
  6. Decks, roofs, auctions, oh my!
    By kyotolaw in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 20-01-2012, 11:37 AM
  7. Resource consents for decks etc
    By fullom in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15-08-2010, 04:24 PM
  8. George Bush Speech 1994
    By TonyMacaroni in forum Videos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •