Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boarding house

Hi guys,

Anyone is running a boarding house here?

Would you advise me on the pitfalls? Both accounting / tax and also management and potential pitfalls? Council convrtsion requirements?

Thinking about converting a larger house (6-8bed) and doing some research if it's viable.

Thanks much!

I'll add insurance and lending as a pitfall but I haven't really checked it out beyond chatting with other investors.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

You will need to treat it as a job rather then an investment. It's the sort of 'business' which needs active management.

Comment

Thanks guys!

yeah, I know its more work, I have some holiday lets, they are more work too, but not that much.

anyway, a few questions come to my mind:
        - When I buy it, its not a boarding house yet, just a big house with multiple rooms, Do I have to notify lender after the conversion? Originally they will/would lend on the house as that is the current condition.
        - Do I have to be GST registered to run a boarding house? or the 60k GST exception still apply? Preferably I dont want to be GST reg as dont want to pay GST on sale (if I have to sell for any reasons)
        - Insurance, sure, but I guess its ok if I sort it after conversion?
        - What is the main difference between a boarding house or a house share or student share arrangement? only that they are on one tenancy? am I right?

as for management, many times people have on site manager living there for free, might be an option.

Cheers much!

Comment

I don't think the lender would need to know if you're running a commercial enterprise but your insurance company will
          Your Home Loan - Wellington Mortgage Broker
          [email protected]

Comment

There is a law I believe where after you have 5 or more rooms rented you have to be a boarding house rather than just a rbtr in Auckland. Hopefully an owner will shed more light for you.

Some good info here:

Comment

Working...
            X