Condensation on walls??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condensation on walls??

I've recently purchased another investment property have moved in tenants who have been in there around 6 weeks more or less. Hadn't heard a thing from them until yesterday - tenant tells me one of the bedrooms in the house is a hazard and needs looking at ASAP - arranged to meet with her this morning. Went into the 'problem' bedroom to find as the tenant tells me the walls are dripping wet with what looks to be condensation the whole room is completely damp carpets etc, all bedding in the room is damp/wet, there's a huge build up of black mold on the ceiling, walls, as well as my tenants belongings. The rest of the house is fine.

I'm satisfied the room is being kept well ventilated etc as there are no other issues with mold or anything related in any other room of the house. This one has me stumped would there be something making the walls drip? any ideas? I've owned my fair share of houses but have never experienced an issue like this one

Originally posted by td91 View Post
    I've recently purchased another investment property have moved in tenants who have been in there around 6 weeks more or less. Hadn't heard a thing from them until yesterday - tenant tells me one of the bedrooms in the house is a hazard and needs looking at ASAP - arranged to meet with her this morning. Went into the 'problem' bedroom to find as the tenant tells me the walls are dripping wet with what looks to be condensation the whole room is completely damp carpets etc, all bedding in the room is damp/wet, there's a huge build up of black mold on the ceiling, walls, as well as my tenants belongings. The rest of the house is fine.

I'm satisfied the room is being kept well ventilated etc as there are no other issues with mold or anything related in any other room of the house. This one has me stumped would there be something making the walls drip? any ideas? I've owned my fair share of houses but have never experienced an issue like this one
    Condensation needs two key elements to form, a moisture source/lack of ventilation and then a temperature differential to form - find those and you've found your problem.

Is the room upstairs by any chance?

Comment

if the room is sufficiently ventilated to remove normal moisture in the air

then water could be coming through the wall

i'd be getting up into the roof pretty quickly

being a new buy you don't know what could be hidden
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

Get a professional in there immediately.
        Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Just because the other rooms are not damp/mouldy, you can't assume that the house is well ventilated. If the troublesome room is on the south side of the house where it doesn't get much/any sun, that can be quite common.

Don't neglect tenant actions as a possible source of the problem - investigate on both fronts.
          My blog. From personal experience.
          http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Check your gutters first, sounds like could be blocked and flowing back in to the wall. Agree with Nick G - get a professional in there ASAP. What a horrible experience for you and tenant, hope it works out OK!

Comment

Working...
            X