Insulation requirements and exposed rafters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation requirements and exposed rafters

Has anyone got any thoughts on the new insulation requirements with regards to a property with no ceiling space? It has exposed rafters instead. The rafters run from the floor of the bedrooms to the celling, and then from the floor of the loft at the top storey til they meet in the middle. Hope that makes sense. I think it would be a big and very expensive task to retro-fit insulation to the roof/ceiling as the space between rafters would have to be framed and lined. Are there any exemptions for cases like this?

Also, the lower storey is brick. Built in Titahi Bay in the 60's so I presumed not insulated. It's not a huge house, so I think the effort and cost would hardly be worth it. One side of the place backs onto the one next door, so we're actually only talking about one exterior wall (the ext walls at each end are small and mostly windows) and the roof with its rafters.

Alright, I found this, here:

The following five categories of residential rental properties are excluded from the insulation requirements in the regulations:
    • where it is not practical to retrofit insulation because of the physical design or construction of the property, but only until such time as access to these spaces becomes possible. Where a landlord is unable to install the insulation to the required standards themselves they are expected to commission someone to do it on their behalf. The exclusion applies, in particular, where:
      • an experienced professional installer of insulation cannot access the location to install the insulation without the removal of any cladding or lining or the carrying out of other substantial building work; or causing substantial damage to the premises
      • an experienced professional installer of insulation cannot install the insulation at the location without creating risks to the health or safety of any person that are greater than the risks that are normally acceptable when insulation is being installed by an experienced professional installer of insulation; or
      • it is otherwise not reasonably practicable for an experienced professional installer of insulation to install the insulation at the location.

So, any idea who decides what is "reasonably practicable"?

Comment

Thinking about it, I guess the installer would have to say that.

Comment

You don't have to do it. We have 12 units similar to yours, the insulation companies come and do a free report and they just write N/A across the ceilings.

Comment

declare it to the tenants?

wasnt there a form coming to cover off this?

Comment

Yes the PM tells the tenants that's right. But you don't have to do it if access is not reasonable. The theory is no one will want your rental unless you do it I guess. Good luck with that unless you're in a town with an over supply.

Comment

Working...
            X