Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant Guarantor, Pushy tenant

Hello,

I am in the process of selecting my tenants. I can still run a few open homes.

At this stage I have 3 moms. All single.

1) One of them is a young single mother whose father assures that she will be looked after and there will be no rent in arrears.
    Can I ask father to sign a letter of guarantor and sign him the tenancy agreement as well? Even if he signs, will he be liable to liable for the payment of the rent and the performance by the tenant?

2) There is a middle aged couple with no kids. I wanted them to be my potential tenants. However, I did feel good about them from the beginning. Later, I did did credit check and contacted referees. Found some issues with them:

-Some information they put on pre-tenancy application from did not match with the information I heard from referees.
    -Husband had some default payments which had to be collected by utility companies.
    -Wife completed application form and wrote he is with the company 1 plus year. Yes manager, said husband has been with the company only 2 two months and the manager is not happy with his work so he is not sure whether they will keep him after trial period.
    -Wife is unemployed and there is no good prospective employment for husband.
    -When I emailed to wife that there some contradictory info and I need to think before taking further, she sent me several emails and text messages wanting to know what is wrong. Next morning, she sent me an email that figured out the issue. She did not know husband had changed the company!!
    -Now sending me an email for reconsideration and providing CV and previous landlords names etc. So pushy!!

Any advice?

Many thanks
    Last edited by Perry; 08-09-2016, 10:36 PM.

2nd lot a no-no.

Ummm are you sure you want to be self managing if and when something goes wrong, they can't make rent and start to have parties and do drugs on the weekends?
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Thanks Nick! My budget is a bit tight at the moment so I decided to manage by myself. I also wanted to feel the real experience even though it is challenging. I will be looking at PM in the future.

Comment

Leave it empty and keep looking.
        Nothing costs you more than a bad tenant.
        The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Hi Cesami

With Nick G here don't go for the 2nd lot, there is too much risk with them and especially with the Osaki Case you don't want any further difficulties with it.

Re point one, I've lost count how many times I've heard that, so still of course do your D.D

Yep you can sign him onto the tenancy agreement but just remember that he then legally he becomes a tenant even though he won't be living there. If he gives you his word then he shouldn't have any concerns about going on the agreement.

Hope that helps
          Fraser Wilkinson
          www.managemyrental.co.nz
          Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

Thank you! I think so. I am going extend my advert and keep looking.

Comment

I'm old. I don't want to read small fonts on my computer. Add the father to the tenancy agreement as a jointly and severally liable tenant.

www.3888444.co.nz
              Facebook Page

Comment

Absolutely would not recommend the second potential tenants (couple with no kids) as too many red marks against them from what you mentioned.

My recommendation is that you continue listing the property for longer to find the suitable tenants as you clearly have not found them yet.

Regarding the young mother, how exactly will she be paying rent? Is it through WINZ? If so, adding her father to the tenancy agreement might invalidate some of her WINZ benefit depending on the father's financial situation.
                www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                # Property Management
                # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Quoted for truth:

Originally posted by cesami20 View Post
                  At this stage I have 3 moms. All single.

1) One of them is a young single mother whose father assures that she will be looked after and there will be no rent in arrears.
                  Can I ask father to sign a letter of guarantor and sign him the tenancy agreement as well? Even if he signs, will he be liable to liable for the payment of the rent and the performance by the tenant?
                  [.....]
                  There is a middle aged couple with no kids. I wanted them to be my potential tenants. However, I did feel good about them from the beginning.
                  Originally posted by Keys View Post
                  Add the father to the tenancy agreement as a jointly and severally liable tenant.
                  Basically, you are desperately trying to justify your prejudices against single Mothers.

I refer you here:

Can a landlord refuse to rent me a flat because of my age, race, or marital status?
                  A property owner or their agent who discriminates against people because of their race, age, sex, sexual orientation, family status, disability (or one of the other prohibited grounds) risks breaking the law. Read more here.
                  Previous negative experience with a tenant or a guest of a particular sex or race is not a valid reason to rule out future tenants or guests of the same sex or race. If a group of single people did not pay their rent on time that does not mean that selecting married people will protect against it happening again.

Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 17-09-2016, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Single mothers have caused more damage than any other tenants I've had.

Send them off to the bleeding hearts to house.
                    Paying drop kicks to have kids - more problems than solutions.
                    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Depends why/how they are single mothers. A divorced woman in her 30s is likely to be fine.
                      A teenaged mother with no experience of life or standing on her own two feet - different story.
                      My blog. From personal experience.
                      http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

You only have to scroll through a few posts on the houses for rent auckland facebook group to see why you wouldn't rent to solo mums.

Comment

I've rented to a couple of solo mums in the past, both with 2 primary and/or preschool kids and both families were exemplary tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
                            Quoted for truth:

Basically, you are desperately trying to justify your prejudices against single Mothers.

I refer you here:

Can a landlord refuse to rent me a flat because of my age, race, or marital status?
                            A property owner or their agent who discriminates against people because of their race, age, sex, sexual orientation, family status, disability (or one of the other prohibited grounds) risks breaking the law. Read more here.
                            Previous negative experience with a tenant or a guest of a particular sex or race is not a valid reason to rule out future tenants or guests of the same sex or race. If a group of single people did not pay their rent on time that does not mean that selecting married people will protect against it happening again.

https://www.hrc.co.nz/enquiries-and-...-human-rights/
                            I keep waiting with bated breath for you to decide to rent out some of your rooms Michael

Comment

Originally posted by skid View Post
                              I keep waiting with bated breath for you to decide to rent out some of your rooms Michael
                              We are willing to look at offering space for people with s/c accommodation... house truck/bus or tiny house...

Comment

Working...
                              X