Cause of Mould

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cause of Mould

Tenant recently reported there is mould on ceiling and on a wall in different room.

Whom could I use, a builder, handyman etc. to find out the cause of mould?

Any recommendation who could identify the root cause and then fix it.

moisture is the cause

getting rid of the moisture the cure

if there's no roof leak

that means better ventilation

better ventilation the cure.....
    Last edited by eri; 25-08-2016, 06:04 PM.
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

Thanks Eri for the response.

I don't live in Auckland, hence cannot really check roof leak etc. That's why I was looking for someone who could visit the property and advise.

Originally posted by eri View Post
      moisture is the cause

getting rid of the moisture the cure

if there's no roof leak

that means better ventilation

better ventilation the cure.....

Comment

If there has been no history of mould in the property, the likelihood is, it's caused by the tenant. What kind of house is it, and what kind of tenant do you have? Is the house insulated?
        My blog. From personal experience.
        http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

A builder with a moisture detector. Sounds like a possible leak.
          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

There is no history of mould. It is a brick and tile unit. No the unit is not insulated.

I am suspecting tenant (family with a kid) don't keep window opened.

I have tried to educate them but it seem to not working.

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
            If there has been no history of mould in the property, the likelihood is, it's caused by the tenant. What kind of house is it, and what kind of tenant do you have? Is the house insulated?

Comment

Ethnicity of tenants?
              Do they use an unflued gas heater?
              Dry their washing inside?
              Use a dehumidifier?

Comment

If you have it checked out and there is no leak. suggest point the tenants at the link below. And make sure they know it is their responsibility to clean it off and stop it recurring. Good idea to keep a record of the report from the builder (or handyman or similar) and any correspondence in case it gets worse or they leave without cleaning it.

Comment

Never asked if they have got gas heater.
                  I doubt they dry their washing inside.
                  I am sure they don't use dehumidifier.

Could usage of dehumidifier be enforced on tenant?

Ethnicity of tenants?
                  Do they use an unflued gas heater?
                  Dry their washing inside?
                  Use a dehumidifier?

Comment

You need to make them understand that Auckland is a damp climate, which exacerbates the usual problems of moisture buildup in homes. Tell them to either open the windows or use a dehumidifier - one or the other. if they don't, move them on.
                    And include a clause about it in your next TA.

Comment

And - just in case it comes up - dehumidifiers are no more expensive to operate than a fridge.

Comment

You need to make them understand that Auckland is a damp climate, which exacerbates the usual problems of moisture buildup in homes. Tell them to either open the windows or use a dehumidifier - one or the other. if they don't, move them on.
                        And include a clause about it in your next TA.
                        Watching closely, if they keep ignoring. Then I will have to let them go.

Comment

And what will you do when the next tenant has the same issue?
                          Tenancy has ruled in the past that provision of ventilation is the Landlords responsibility.

Once mould starts it gets into the substrate pores so it needs cleaning with suitable cleaner and almost certainly will need more than one treatment. Mould grows in warm humid conditions so the use of dehumidifier is a really good solution. to keep it in check.
                          Mould when alive is not black that you see but often a yellow or orange colour. It goes black when it goes into the spore form which is usually when it gets cold, so the problem exists before you see it

If someone has painted over a ceiling or wall that is mouldy then the mould will come back.

Some good mould inhibitors available to treat the surface with.
                          Last edited by Viking; 27-08-2016, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                            Tenancy has ruled in the past that provision of ventilation is the Landlords responsibility.
                            Provision if one thing.

Anything from the TT Kangaroo Kourt Klutzes requiring tenants to use the ventilation provided by the LL?

I suspect not.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                              I doubt that many rentals don't have at least one openable window. Responsibility met.

Comment

Working...
                              X