Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplifying the repair & maintenance process

Hi all,

New to the forum. Firstly wanted to say I love the setup here and the amount I've learnt by just exploring around.

I'm looking at starting a business aimed at automating the maintenance & repair process with your tenants and help you quickly find local trades people for the job.

A use case would be my tenants would submit an issue on the website, the system would identify the best trades person for the job (from a select group of local tradies) and let you know the progress of the job and when it's done, while keeping everyone notified on progress.

I'm trying to find anyone that might be able to give me a bit of their time to hear their thoughts about this and how I might be able to angle this to turn it from a pain I've faced to something we could supply to help others out there. If anyone has any advice, criticism or ideas please private message me or join in the topic!

Thanks so much!
    T

Welcome!

In theory sounds good, but wondering what the problem is that the app is designed to solve.

If it is selecting a tradie, then there are apps for that already, and online reviews. Could run into trouble if a tradie is recommended but doesn't do a good job. Or is perceived not to which might or might not be the case.

If it is communication, is that a current problem?

We have a small property maintenance company, regularly use trusted subbies, and don't see a communication problem most of the time.

Comment

Forsee a problem where the recommended tradie gets flooded with work and cannot cope, while all the others sit around waiting.

Many LL like to keep their favorite tradies to themselves for this very reason.

Comment

Getting the tenants to list the job = TERRIBLE IDEA. It needs to be a landlord or PM tool to work.

Comment

Thanks for all your answers and feedback!!

Originally posted by artemis View Post
          Welcome!

In theory sounds good, but wondering what the problem is that the app is designed to solve.

If it is selecting a tradie, then there are apps for that already, and online reviews. Could run into trouble if a tradie is recommended but doesn't do a good job. Or is perceived not to which might or might not be the case.

If it is communication, is that a current problem?

We have a small property maintenance company, regularly use trusted subbies, and don't see a communication problem most of the time.
          Great points! I think in terms of problem it's trying to make maintenance hassle-free for all parties involved. In my eyes communication goes hand in hand with selecting a good tradie. I could be wrong though! Will have to do some more market research.

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
          Forsee a problem where the recommended tradie gets flooded with work and cannot cope, while all the others sit around waiting.

Many LL like to keep their favorite tradies to themselves for this very reason.
          Definitely could be something there. The way I see that not happening is by having the tradie have to accept the job on the app too.

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
          Getting the tenants to list the job = TERRIBLE IDEA. It needs to be a landlord or PM tool to work.
          I have not explained properly! The tenant would list the issue to the landlord, then the landlord would accept it with a tradie from the app. The tool would be primarily for a landlord with a way for their tenants to interact too.

Cheers for all the advice. If anyone else comes up with anything or is keen to help dig deeper please do reply!

Comment

I have not explained properly! The tenant would list the issue to the landlord, then the landlord would accept it with a tradie from the app. The tool would be primarily for a landlord with a way for their tenants to interact too.
            Gonna be a hard sell I think. Tenants complain about everything. The property manager then inspects and 75% of the time tells tenant to fix their own damage. Nobody is going to want to let tenants list issues directly. PM's may find it helpful I guess.

Comment

Working...
            X