Christchurch garage conversion - recommended builders and draughtsmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christchurch garage conversion - recommended builders and draughtsmen

Hi there we are wanting to convert our garage into a single room with a attached shower and toilet. Can some one please recommend a good and well priced builder and draughtsman.

Are you able to go to a one stop shop? Do places like mike greers etc do this type of work?

Can anyone please share their experiences and contacts.

I doubt Mike Greer would unless they have a different business in ChCh. I don't have a contact but if you email Sally through our website (sig link - about page) she might know of a good builder, who in turn will have subbie and draftsman connections.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

why do you need a draftsman? a competent builder should be able to figuure out a floor plan and where drains go etc

Comment

Check out the Certified Builders website for someone trade qualified and with the relevant insurances in place in your area. Too many "builders" going bust in ChCh, need to make sure you aren't paying for a cowboy.

Comment

no you only need a good tradesman so protect yourself with checking references, and don't overpay. If you make this a big job then you will pay accordingly......

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
            no you only need a good tradesman so protect yourself with checking references, and don't overpay. If you make this a big job then you will pay accordingly......
            What's wrong with getting a builder from CBANZ website? Are you saying that they are dearer because they belong this to this association? If so that is not correct.

Comment

Hi john the builder. So can you tell me the process to get consent without submitting plans from a draughtman?

Comment

And sorry 'draftsman' 😳

Comment

meehole
                  Check out the Certified Builders website for someone trade qualified and with the relevant insurances

this is not a complex job that is being proposed what insurances are you alluding to?

Mah
                  So can you tell me the process to get consent without submitting plans from a draughtman?
                  ypou only need the consent for shower and toilet

that should be a simple consent, ask the council what is required for a sleepout that you want to add a shower and w.c. to.

don't get consent for the conversion just the things that need one

Comment

Thank you for the advice. Do you think you could get started on the living areas while you wait for the shower and w.c consent to process?

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                      meehole
                      Check out the Certified Builders website for someone trade qualified and with the relevant insurances

this is not a complex job that is being proposed what insurances are you alluding to?

Mah

ypou only need the consent for shower and toilet

that should be a simple consent, ask the council what is required for a sleepout that you want to add a shower and w.c. to.

don't get consent for the conversion just the things that need one
                      I asked you the question, do you think it is dearer to get a Certified Builder with all the relevant insurances in place and you didn't answer me. You suggested a competent builder, I was merely directing him to a site where he could pick from several competent builders. By all means check references buy why not go to a site whereby builders have their credentials checked in order to be able to be a member??

Comment

Working...
                      X