China stops PropertyTalk.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China stops PropertyTalk.com

I thought you might be interested to learn that the propertytalk.com website, and the previous .co.nz version, are blocked in China. A few months ago I was able to see it, but then at some point it was blocked by the authorities. When you try to get on the site you get a message saying "the page cannot be displayed". This is the same message you get when you try to get to other sites that are known to be blocked in China. I've asked a few friends to try your site at their homes and the result is the same.

As to why it has been blocked, it's hard to say. The system they use scans websites for words that are sensitive, so if there has been any discussion on the forums of things that they don't like, or even the mention of particular words (for example Falun Gong) then it's possible that was enough to trigger an automatic block of the site.

I'm hoping one day it will somehow be unblocked. I miss it!

This was emailed to me earlier today.
    What magic can you perform SarahK? It would be amazing if we can be viewed in China
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Originally posted by donna

The system they use scans websites for words that are sensitive, so if there has been any discussion on the forums of things that they don't like, or even the mention of particular words (for example Falun Gong) then it's possible that was enough to trigger an automatic block of the site.

What magic can you perform SarahK? It would be amazing if we can be viewed in China

The answer's easy we all just stop saying Falun Gong in our postings. I'm getting sick of that expression anyway.

Aston.
    Last edited by Aston; 09-08-2005, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Oh gee - that's a count of 3 now for that FG word

I don't believe it's been mentioned on our site previously so that's not why we were banned!

Cheers,

Donna
      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I visited China in December 2002, and at the time the authorities were shutting down and in some cases razing internet cafes in Peking (Beijing), due to their insistence that "Western-style propoganda was breaking down the fabric of Chinese society" (I paraphrased here, but you get the picture).

Also remember it is a country where all telephone conversations and internet access are monitored heavily for subversive activity/sentiment.

Real Estate must be looking pretty lively at the moment, although to the detriment of the poorer locals (some of which have been kicked out of the alley houses (hu tongs), the hu tongs flattened and apartment style buildings put in their place. Aahh, the Olympics, bringing people closer together..... want to buy a 2 bedder at the Ian Thorpe building?

Despite that, a very interesting country to visit, recommend you check out Tianmen Square and the body of Mao Ze Dong (as well as the MZD memorabilia wristwatch with moving arms).

Anyway, if you were keen to join the Communist Party you might be able to get PropertyTalk reinstated again
        handmade art for kids rooms

Comment

Originally posted by donna
          Oh gee - that's a count of 3 now for that FG word

I don't believe it's been mentioned on our site previously so that's not why we were banned!

Cheers,

Donna
          Maybe Ron Hoy Fong sounds like Falun Gong to the Chinese moderators!
          DFTBA

Comment

Working...
          X