Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Health & Safety Legislation

Hi everyone,

Was reading this article yesterday and while vaguely interested about what Sir Peter's up to, was more interested in the Directors accountability increasing from 4th April.

I have an LTC and am a director (oh the power -sigh)...I'm curious how this would impact us, if at all.
    As I use property managers, how would that impact them too....if at all.

Major effect on Property Managers, every contractor in use by them now has to be fully certified for H & S. Gone are the days of getting Joe Blogs to do the handyman work at a good price.

However, the bigger effect is on everyone who owns a rental property and manages it themselves. Regardless of directorships etc. If you employ a contractor to do any work on your rental property (given that it is a business you are running), you are responsible for their H & S. How many people are aware of this change ???

Good to see the Govt really behind keeping rents under control. All of this will push the costs up of owning rental property, and this will be reflected in rents very soon after !

Comment

This is just another aspect of the ubiquitous power trips
      of gummint departments trying to idiot-proof the world.
      In the next breath, Blenglish et al will try to tell all NZ
      employers to get competitive. As in, competitive with
      other countries not as crassly stupid as NZ, because
      they choose not to shackle themselves with the costs
      of such asinine legislation.

Should the Minister of Transport be personally liable for
      road crashes caused by New Zealand Transport Agency
      (NZTA) failing to upgrade a notorious road crash area?
      Why not? The correlation is much the same with what
      he and his sinecured pals are doing to NZ businesses.

Comment

Interesting.

So if I decide to hire a roofing contractor, tell them to advise the PM so he can advise the tenant (but the PM isn't coordinating this - I am), then if the roofer falls off the roof, I'm responsible because I didn't enforce H&S on the roofer?

WTF?

Comment

Still thinking about this.

So if the tradesman is certified and something happens, the negligence falls upon them. (failure of tradie to follow on internal business H&S processes)

But if I hire Brian - the efficient tradie who isn't certified but does great work...the negligence falls on me?

And will insurance companies start rubbing their little paws and introducing 'Health and safety' insurance for people? (Or is this covered under Bodily injury clause of the rental policy)

Hmmmm

Comment

I should start a health and safety workshop course for landlords.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
              I should start a health and safety workshop course for landlords.
              Do you know something about it?
              You could give us all an update on what the new legislation means.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                Do you know something about it?
                You could give us all an update on what the new legislation means.
                No sorry I was just taking a micky out of this ridiculous legislation for landlords.

Most landlords don't even know what Health & Safety is about, let alone attended one of the site safe courses...

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                  No sorry I was just taking a micky out of this ridiculous legislation for landlords.

Most landlords don't even know what Health & Safety is about, let alone attended one of the site safe courses...
                  The fact landlords don't know what H&S is, is perhaps part of the reason regulation has come into force.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo View Post
                    The fact landlords don't know what H&S is, is perhaps part of the reason regulation has come into force.
                    Maybe but I pay experts to do work and expect them to know what they are doing.
                    Often people wouldn't recognise an unsafe practice if they saw it as they don't know the work so don't know the risks.
                    So what are they to do?

Comment

My understanding of it is that should an accident happen, you as the property owner (or as the PM - both levels are implicated) have to be able to demonstrate that you took all practicable steps to ensure the tradies safety.

If he fell off the roof because he couldn't afford edge protection because you wanted a cheaper price and convinced him he didn't need it; then I believe the weight of the law might fall on your neck. As well as his, but his is probably already somewhat stuffed !

If he demonstrated to you that he was suitably qualified in all H & S matters, was an experienced roofer, and made his own decision not to use edge protection; then it becomes less of your responsibility; BUT you are probably still implicated under sensible NZ laws !

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo View Post
                        And how many or % landlords treat their rental properties as a business???

Comment

Also another problem is, landlords need to know every intricacy of every renovation/repair/maintenance job to be able to understand the inherent hazards and safety aspects.

Who is going to educate/police landlords on this?

Which landlord has the time and money to get educated on ALL aspects of construction/repair/maintenance of running their properties?

At the end, we will just rely on our trades people to do their job, and for them to advise us what H&S is required.

If they fail at their job, then landlords get the blame? Lol, fun times huh?

Comment

I suspect a sudden increase in maintenance costs...ie, the roofer will now need scaffolding and at least 3 harnesses - tied to a portable crane. sigh

Comment

My brother is heavily involved in training for H and S in factories. it's a complex business these days!

Comment

Working...
                              X