Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finance to get to 100+ Properties

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would make a post tonight/this morning as I have arrived home from slaving the night shift, which earns me just over $20 per hour.

Reason being as I currently have 2 properties and should be able to spend a further $750k based on 80% LVR of recent valuations, but I don’t want to get stuck moving forward.

I have come up with a list of some of my questions that I have. The aim with these questions is to develop a more in-depth understanding of how the banks assess serviceability to support more loans. I think understanding serviceability requirements and how to structure loans will be the key to getting sufficient leverage to get to financial freedom and past this. Not sure if there is a broker out there who would have the answer to all of these questions, so I thought I would just post them on here and hope to get feedback from people who might know the answers to particular questions. No doubt I will develop more questions as time goes on.

1. What have people calculated to be the required rates of returns/cash flows for property purchases, in order for them to be completely cash neutral in different ‘banks eyes’?
    E.g. For ASB it seems like 75% of rental income needs to be able to cover principal and interest payments using their current 5 year fixed interest rate on a 100% mortgage. Is this the sort of thing other people have found for lending criteria still within ‘retail’ limits?

2. When you haven’t got sufficient income to support a line of credit in the banks eyes, is there a way to get around cross-collateralising your loans for future purchases?
    E.g. If you have a couple of properties with rental income and personal income, but this income in not enough to support a line of credit to get cash as a deposit for another property, can you use proposed rental income from a potential purchase to support a line of credit and then get the cash out and not cross-securitise the new loan? – Don’t think this can be done, so not sure if there is a way to solve this one. Is there a workaround? E.g. cross 3 properties, then refinance the third somehow and remove the cross? – If so, how would this work?
    - If you can’t do this, how easy is it to break up say 10 properties that are all cross-collateralised, into individual loans? –Anyone had experience with this?

3. Does anyone know how quickly you can bring a new registered valuation to certain banks and borrow on increased equity? E.g. Straight away/whenever you want for one particular bank, 3 months for one bank, 6 months for another etc. This question applies to properties that have not had work done to them, just increased in value or bought below market value to begin with.

4. Do renovated properties need to be rented i.e. providing an income, before applying for more finance, or can a current rental appraisal sometimes suffice? – (so you don’t have to wait to move tenants in etc. before you can move on to the next deal).
    Been thinking about this one, because when you propose a new deal, the bank can accept a rental appraisal, so would have thought this could be the same for properties already held that have just been renovated. Suppose it might depend on how risky you are to the bank – e.g. they might only want to assume you will obtain the appraised rent on one, rather than two properties?

5. In the plan of building a large portfolio, I have been told that if you have properties cross-collateralised/securitised and you want to revalue one of them to borrow on your gain in equity, you can be required to revalue all of your properties and the banks will only loan on any change in the value of your entire portfolio. So if you have two properties, one goes up by $50k in value, one goes down by $50k, you won’t be able to borrow any further capital. Has anyone had this experience and could share their knowledge?

6. When looking to see if I could get a loan for renovation, it was looking like I would have needed a registered valuation done prior to getting the loan to get evidence of what the value would come to after the reno, then the bank would lend on this value. Is this the only way to do it or is there some faster/easier way to do it? - Besides getting a line of credit, or funding from cash (what I just did).

7. Has anyone been able to buy a property below market value and finance this with a particular bank, get a registered valuation done straight away with an increase in equity and then refinance with another bank? If so, have you been able to do this on multiple properties or is it not possible?

My apologies to anyone who senses my ignorance with some aspects, only 19 so still learning the ropes with this stuff.

Any responses would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Really high quality questions for a 19 year old, you're most definitely on the right track.

Hopefully a broker can answer your specific questions.

From my experience I don't think the answers are black and white with banks having internal policies that change greatly over time and between different banks. And if planning to build a portfolio from today you will likely see massive changes in how banks treat you, so you might have to be flexible with your strategy.

Read all of Orions articles on here he has been there done that.

Comment

Great questions there, it sounds as though you have already made a great start to your investment journey. Hopefully some experienced mortgage brokers are able to shed some light on the above for all of us.

One thing to consider here though is by the tone of your post it sounds like you may be a little too keen to grow your portfolio to a huge number as quickly as poss... At your age you have yet to truly experience a downturn and what it can do to someone riding the edge of the sword if you know what I mean.

In my humble opinion - if the major banks start to tell you NO, it might be time to start listening because history shows (2008 GFC for e.g.) they are usually keen to lend right up to breaking point, and then the people with the highest debt and lowest servicablity fall first on that sword when values and rents fall.

I have no idea on your current career goals but at your young age and already with a couple properties under your belt I would say you would be better to focus on how to get that $20ph up to $35 and beyond to give you the ability to 'weather the storm'

Comment

Your post explains that you have some understanding of PI. All you need is specific answers ?
        Some of these answers are very easy to answer & you must just read the posts on this forum for that. But the other questions are specific to your personal situation.
        I would suggest you : make a company for buy & holds -> find a good high yield rental in good area -> get it under S&P with some conditions especially finance -> see what the banks say.
        You will know all the answers yourself with your own learning.

Comment

Good questions, I think you should sit down with a broker and work out a game plan. From my understanding most (but not all) banks risk assess your property debt at a historical average rate, 7-7.5% or so.

Also you don't need 100+ properties to be financially free :-) I assume you meant 10.
          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

It depends how long you want to buy 100 properties.

If you have 30+ years to do it, you can do it in Auckland.

If you only want to achieve that inside 10-20 years, without a CEO income, then you have to buy in rural towns, where the yield is 9%+.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
              It depends how long you want to buy 100 properties.

If you have 30+ years to do it, you can do it in Auckland.

If you only want to achieve that inside 10-20 years, without a CEO income, then you have to buy in rural towns, where the yield is 9%+.

Hi Gary,

What sort of yields are you managing to get in Auckland with new purchases? Would definitely like to get to the 100 in Auckland but it's looking like I would need to balance it with quite a few highly cashflow properties in rural towns to get there.

How many have you got under your belt now?

Not sure whether you go out on the road with Ron on Saturdays, but have been thinking of coming out and seeing what you guys have been buying.

Cheers,
              Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by LFBM100 View Post
                Hi Gary,

What sort of yields are you managing to get in Auckland with new purchases? Would definitely like to get to the 100 in Auckland but it's looking like I would need to balance it with quite a few highly cash flow properties in rural towns to get there.

How many have you got under your belt now?

Not sure whether you go out on the road with Ron on Saturdays, but have been thinking of coming out and seeing what you guys have been buying.

Cheers,
                Jonathan
                My quick calculations would require a deposit of $27 million with a loan of around $63 million - even with good yields and low(ish) interest rates you'd be running about $0.75 million negative annually - so to service that debt alone your pre tax income would need to be $1.2 - $1.4 million before you pay for your cost of living. Will let the brokers here give you the income required to service a $63 Million loan.

I think your plan is aggressive but you should go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                  My quick calculations would require a deposit of $27 million with a loan of around $63 million - even with good yields and low(ish) interest rates you'd be running about $0.75 million negative annually - so to service that debt alone your pre tax income would need to be $1.2 - $1.4 million before you pay for your cost of living. Will let the brokers here give you the income required to service a $63 Million loan.

Haha thanks Rob.

Comment

I couldn't think of anything worse than being hugely leveraged to just the bubbly Auckland residential market .

..smart investors keep a diverse portfolio of assets ...just remember the same media that's been dribbling a never ending Auckland property Boom were also talking of 7-8% interest rates in 2016 etc

Comment

It is possible to get to 100 properties over time although you don't need nearly that much. Many investors would throw their hands up in the air and dive into commercial long in advance.

Maybe start to think of each property as having a purpose in your portfolio. It could be a core growth asset, something to renovate and sell, something to add cashflow, something to develop and partly sell down, leading to reduced overall debt etc.
                      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

The fact you are only 19 and therefore have stuff all experience of the world and want to buy 100 houses should in itself be a worry... but to be honest I don't take you seriously. I run a large forum and for every person who is achieving their goals there is 10's of people who's grandiose plans are full of hot air...

But what is a real concern is the number of people here who claim they support your scheme of madness. Trust me, it's highly doubtful any of them will front you the money and even more unlikely they would bail you out when you fall flat on your face. I strongly suggest you make that your sole measure of their real sentiments.

At your age and with your obvious zeal for becoming wealthy I would suggest starting a business. Find something productive to contribute to society. Forget about borrowing from a bank - that is a mugs game. Bootstrap (ie: start with little or no money), build something really cool and if the market thinks it has potential people will want to give you money for it. If, however, on the other hand it's not such a great idea, well you had fun while it lasted so draw a line in sand and try something else. All it would have cost you is a bit of time and for what you learned that will be a good investment.

Having equity in 2 properties in the current climate is not indicative of good management, but good luck. Don't let that cloud your judgement of your ability and the inherent commercial risk moving forward.

Case in point

Originally posted by LFBM100 View Post
                        What sort of yields are you managing to get in Auckland with new purchases? Would definitely like to get to the 100 in Auckland but it's looking like I would need to balance it with quite a few highly cashflow properties in rural towns to get there.
                        So I take it you are in Auckland but want to invest in rural towns? What do you know about the property situation in various rural towns around NZ?
                        Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 31-05-2016, 10:06 PM.

Comment

While Michael's post has "some" merit I would argue he is too cautious and failures/events in life has removed any optimism or hope.

If everyone followed your advice Michael we would have no Bill gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs etc... True most people who aim for the stars fail and fall, but better to try and fail than never try at all. Just make calculated risks and learn from others mistakes the best you can! But don't disperse your goal of 100 properties because someone who is unable to do it themselves says its impossible. Take on board the snippets of value in everybody's contribution.

In the Navy they would tell us to set a goal, then they'd take away a minute or two to achieve it and then we'd think its impossible. But after a few attempts 9/10 times we achieved it through team work. It was the members of the group that kept hope and morale that made it possible - you need people like that in your circle of influence. Personally I dont think anything (within reason) is impossible, sometimes you just have to work bloody hard to get it - social skills help...

Just felt I had to share that after reading another negative post, a few good points but keep your optimism.
                          Last edited by snobilo; 31-05-2016, 11:03 PM. Reason: fixing silly typo's
                          Finance Broker - www.creditone.co.nz

Comment

Originally posted by snobilo View Post
                            While Michael's post has "some" merit I would argue he is too cautious and failures/events in life has removed any optimist or hope.
                            I am optimistic but also wise from experience. Experience of 2 recessions (Does anyone here even know what that means because from what I am reading many of you only know one side of the cycle) and a very close bankruptcy.

Another thing I have learned (unfortunately the hard way) is only reliable way to know what people are really thinking is where they put their money. Too often - and I note NZ is especially bad for this - people want to be popular and that usually means being overly vocally supportive of other people's ideas in preference to integrity.

Hitting rock bottom is a good introduction to what people (especially middle class bleeding heart activist sorts) really think.

At the end of the day the person one should rely on the most is themselves. Followed by that is family. After that comes close friends. Anything further is luck of the draw.

Originally posted by snobilo View Post
                            If everyone followed your advice Michael we would have no Bill gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs etc...
                            None of the above are known for investing in property so your example proves nothing. I suggested business as a good choice.
                            Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 31-05-2016, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post

You are forgetting rents increase overtime in Auckland.

But I guess you don't live in Auckland huh.

Comment

Working...
                              X