• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Auckland PIA meeting Tuesday 9th August

When: 7.15pm for a 7.30pm start
    Where: The Ellerslie Convention Centre, Greenlane roundabout, Ellerslie

Guest Speaker: Tony Alexander - BNZ Chief Economist
    Tony is one of APIA’s most highly regarded regular speakers due to the way he can provide succinct, informative and humorous insight into what is happening to our economy. Tony takes a real interest in property so is always able to relate economic indicators back to how they are going to affect our industry. The information he provides is always an enourmous help with property decision making.

Special General meeting: In addition to Tony Alexander, a special General Meeting will be conducted to vote on renaming the Executive Committee a board, approval to appoint a CEO, changes to correct errors and changes with the APIA constitution plus election of Officers.

A supper will be served at the end of the evening.

A very interesting meeting with a Special General Meeting resulting in the committee being renamed a 'board' and the new paid CEO position voted in to pursue strategies for attracting new members.

I am very interested to hear anyone elses feedback about the meeting and/or the changes which have been voted on.
    Kieran Trass

Kieran, I heard your speech and found your point of view interesting, was looking for you to chat about that after the meeting but you probably left soon after.

Would be interesting to hear more of your reasons as why you think APIA turning into a commercial venture is a bad idea.

rgrds,

Thanks,

For those of you who are not aware I am interested in APIA's future as I was one of APIA's founders in 1994, sat oin the committee for 7 years, am a lifetime meber and have a 10 year history of financially supporting APIA as a corporate member.

It's not that I think it's a bad idea. I'm still not sure and in business I have learned that haste can be very expensive.

As I said last night the focus appers to be to take a financial risk (up to $115,000 in 1 year) to try to increase membership and I'm not convinced the members were given adequate detail to make such a decision. The committee wouldn't disclose much detail as they kept refering to "commercially sensitive" information which they could not share with the members... I guess that may also be why we only had 2 days notice of the reasons behind what would be presented at this special meeting.

When a member (not me) suggested the decision be dealyed till a more appropriate time when it could be considered adequately by the members we were accused of 'procrastinating'.

I didn't want to vote on such a critical issue without adequate information. I simply chose to vote against it unless we could get better disclosure.

About a third of all members were there and the vote was passed by an adequate majority so the changes will occur. It will be interesting to see how APIA evolves as a result of the changes. The good news is that apparently the committee are now more accountable to the members , but the not so good news is that the committe has little transparency so I'm not sure how that accountability will be measured...

They will need an excellent CEO but wouldn't disclose the salary being offered (apparently even that is commercially sensitive?).

And someone asked if I would apply for the job of CEO...
    my reply was - No Thanks.

What did you (and anyone alse) think about the meeting?
    Kieran Trass

Unhappy

Thank you, Kieran

I certainly did not like the way the meeting was handled. I respect Andrew and the job he is doing for the Association but it felt like he was not welcoming our questions and comments and avoided giving any detailed information regarding the future changes. That made me (and as we heard some others) suspicious regarding the intentions of the changes.

I agree with you that if asked to vote we have the right to know what we are voting for. It is of a question why Business Plan of Association, which was claimed to be a non-commercial structure aiming to provide better services to the members and not to produce profits, was considered commercially sensitive.

And yes I support your on the issue of CEO’s salary not being disclosed too. How is it going to be advertised without the amount? We were said that any of us could apply. Well… a good start would be to know the salary…

I was at that meeting also.

I felt like the decision was made too quickly. I chose not to vote because I thought I did not have sufficient information to make a truely informed decision.

If I did have to vote, I would have probably voted in favour. This is for a one year trial, and it can be reversed in a years time if it does not work. The association also has enough cash reserves so that if the worse case scenario happens, they should still be in good shape. Sometimes you just have to back your gut instinct and go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

If the existing committee thought it was a good idea, and they know more about it than we do, then maybe it is. We shall find out.

Andrew, I have no doubt that the commetee knows more than the members but why do you think they were making a secret out of the future figures and plans (in numbers)

Numbers don't lie

This is for a one year trial, and it can be reversed in a years time if it does not work
    Yes, but how will the members know if it has worked...
    I'm not sure the committee will be forthcoming with much relevant detail due to their attitude that such info is "commercially sensitive".

Again they have told us the committee will be more accountable but no-one has said how?

They said it will be easy to tell by the numbers but will we be given the details of new revenue and membership numbers generated specifically from the new structure?

I am all for progress but only if it is based on informed and well considered information. The committee made the decision to proceed with this change in May. This was after getting members approval for the committee to INVESTIGATE the proposal and report back to members with their findings...

They reported back to members last night with a final decision that the committee had already made and basically told us we had to support it or APIA may well 'self destruct'... (no real qualification given as to why this may be the case but it was implied that APIA would go backwards financially and the committee - Andrew King in particular - were overworked).

Relevant questions were asked about the proposal which all of a sudden could not be answered due to the "commercially sensitive" nature of their findings?

I still believe that the members were ill equipped to make the decision that was made.
    Kieran Trass

Quote Originally Posted by Oopsick
    Andrew, I have no doubt that the commetee knows more than the members but why do you think they were making a secret out of the future figures and plans (in numbers)

Numbers don't lie
    Your quess is as good as mine . The 'Commercially Sensitive' line they were using is a believable line, but whether that was the only reason or not I really dont know.

Default APIA - Lack of meeting protocol

I have personally chaired and presided over numourious community organisations and found that last night was extremely dictatorial and unprofessionally chaired by the current Chairperson. There was a total lack of meeting protocol

I report only what I observed last night and would be interested if anything was minuted:-

Any members who spoke against changes were knocked down Tit-for-Tat repeatedly by the same senior members of the committee making the same repeated statement each time, and had far more than their fair share of say.

The committee was asked by members of the Special AGM for a work plan or projection for what would be seen as a possible $115,000-00 expenditure risk.

There was no accountability of any expenditure when asked. Only verbal replies of "cant remember exactly but....."

Members asked that there be more transparency.

Members asked simply for more time to be able to make an informed decision on changes

Threats of self destruction of the APIA offerred by the current committee if you didn't vote their way.

Consistent inadequate reply by Andrew King and David Whitburn and his committee with statements of:
    "Trust me,"
    "we are the committee we should know",
    "sorry we can't tell you what is planned because of commercial sensitivity."
    " If we lose the $115,000-00 we can always change our mind"

The vote for change was by an estimated half of the members, only a handful voted against, the other half abstained totally from voting! (was it intimidation?), never-the-less the vote was won.

Cheers

Ron Hoy Fong QSM, JP.
    Last edited by RonHoyFong; 10-08-2005 at 10:13 PM.

Thread Information