Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundproofing cavity Ceiling

Hi

I own a ground floor unit, and can hear the upstairs neighbours constant footsteps and conversation. Ill be eventually renting this out - and realise that it will be hard to keep tenants who will be woken every evening and morning by stompy neighbors!

Has anybody in a downstairs unit ever done any soundproofing of the cavity ceiling - and what method did you use.

What would be the cheapest method of soundproofing...i.e.
    1. Retrofit acoustic insulation via blown-in method
    2. Taking off the Gib on the ceiling - fitting acoustic insulation and re gibbing ceiling
    3. Adding a drop ceiling with acoustic clips
    4. Adding acoustic panels to the ceiling to absorb sound (and does this even work?)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Have a look at this video.

If you end up re-gibbing, rather than using standard gib, see GIBĀ® Acoustic Systems here.

I used to live in an apartment and the BC had rules about floor coverings, the standard requirement was carpet over rubber underlay on top of pinex softboard. Check with the BC and see if the people above comply.
    Last edited by Aston; 10-05-2016, 08:13 PM. Reason: Broken link

Comment

Thanks for the link and advice Aston

Comment

I put what was supposedly soundproofing insulation between my house and the downstairs granny flat. Useless. I can hear the sounds of a TV, or even dehumidifier, from downstairs. And that's with the upstairs having carpeted floors.

So if I were you, I'd be looking at other options.
        My blog. From personal experience.
        http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Omg, just wrote a long reply and then hit the wrong button...

I have also been looking into the same thing as you - units on top of each other with no acoustic insulation and built in the 1970s.

The Gib noise control manual is usually pretty good and we use it in the schools we design.
          In our similar situation, It recommends Acoustic insulation + Gib Rondo battens on quiet clip + 2 layers of 13mm noiseline. (see page 40)
          This gives a STC rating of 56 - which is pretty good. This will also help with fireproofing between the 2 units, as the Gib manual gives a Fire Resistance Rating of 60/60/60 i.e. will last 60mins in a fire.

In the interests of costs, I'm looking to add 2 layers of the 13mm gib noiseline to the existing 10mm plasterboard ceiling, giving 36mm of plasterboard total. Where I end up with some temporary holes in the ceiling (from electrician running wires) I'll probably stuff in some insulation too.
          I'm not expecting complete noise separation, but I expect that it will significantly reduce speech and music. Walking/thumping noises will likely still be heard but reduced.

so for your options;

1. Dont think this will make a huge difference without the mass
          2. Probably the most effective provided you follow the guide
          3. This could work too, but will reduce your floor to ceiling height (and usually in these kind of units its not very high)
          4. This could help a little but you would still have gaps. If you want to do it this way, best to create a suspended ceiling

Comment

there are two issues impact sound and transmitted sound.

to achieve both you need separation and mass. carpet reduces impact sound but without separation it will still transmit to the area below. It seems you haven't got fire separation either? Might be a prudent consideration even if this is existing situation?

Acoustic tile will help the people above and the occupants but not avoid the sound from above

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
              It seems you haven't got fire separation either? Might be a prudent consideration even if this is existing situation?
              What is involved in fire separation? Is it also just including a fire proof cladding between the floors? I'm also considering doing something similar.

Comment

"fire separation" means a fire-rated system (of say Gib-board/Fyreline) fixed strictly in accordance with manufacturer requirements that they have tested to warrant to give a certain FRR rating. To be done properly it needs a fire design so the requirements are known and correct rating chosen, and must be complete and fitted/finished to walls that provide support that may or may not also need fire-rating(to ensure the ceiling stays up for the required time.

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                  "fire separation" means a fire-rated system (of say Gib-board/Fyreline) fixed strictly in accordance with manufacturer requirements that they have tested to warrant to give a certain FRR rating. To be done properly it needs a fire design so the requirements are known and correct rating chosen, and must be complete and fitted/finished to walls that provide support that may or may not also need fire-rating(to ensure the ceiling stays up for the required time.
                  Cheers very informative

Comment

Thanks for all the advice Sidinz/John the builder/RHarris/AlexL - all very informative

Comment

Working...
                    X