• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

It's ye olde pendulum again and this forum is a perfect example.

Far too much gloat and whining from some quarters.

It was your choice to enter into a commodity market. The Average person has as much tears to shed for yourselves as they do for oil producing countries right now. If you choose to enter into a business which involves supplying a social commodity then don't whine about the rules of the game.

If it is "oh so tough" find yourself another business*. Now that I think about it, that's actually a very right wing sentiment. How ironic of me.

*Ideally one which makes a profit from selling goods and services rather then gambling on capital increase.
    Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 21-09-2016 at 10:53 AM.

^^^Does anybody take him seriously? ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelNZ View Post
    It's ye olde pendulum again and this forum is a perfect example
    . . . . Ideally one which makes a profit from selling goods and services rather then gambling on capital increase.
    You make too many presumptions, Michael.

There are many on here - I'm one - who have no eye to capital gain as a matter of business. I provide rentals to people that want them and the rent is my income. Capital gains (illusory - hereabouts [most everywhere] it's only a change in numbers) are not a consideration in my business decisions.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Agree. It is a bit of a black and white approach.
    I myself usually look for a win win financial relationships.
    Many people get involved in projects because of the social benefits they provide.

For example, most of us take stuff to the good will shop.
    But if the staff at the good will shop started being rude and trashing the stuff
    and then charging you for parking while you unloaded...
    You might reconsider your involvement.

There are of course many people who get involved in supposedly socially benifical projects with less than alturistic intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    I provide rentals to people that want them and the rent is my income.
    but to Michael this is not a 'service'

Michael - care to share your wisdom on the provision of a service 'accommodation provision' vs. services that you do seem worthy business?

Quote Originally Posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
    Michael - care to share your wisdom on the provision of a service 'accommodation provision' vs. services that you do seem worthy business?
    Rental properties is a service but it's a bit poor for landlords to complain about the rules and marketplace conditions of the business.

On that topic, anyone who thinks the National government will do **** for landlords is deluded. Ideologically, their position is to extricate the government from housing provision and they will do whatever it takes to achieve this aim at the minimum political cost.

Diddums for you landlords who thought it was a great business. Some of you may well find yourselves the last cab off the rank.
    Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 21-09-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Para 56 of what? The Appeal Court judgement? If so, can that be posted here to give better context to this discussion, please.

Noting that s270 of the PLA refers to premiums, not any excess.
    In Holler v Osaki para [56] (page 22) (click on link to see full judgement)

[56] We were not asked to address the application of ss 270 and 271 and do not do so.
    Clause (1)(b) of section 270 of the PLA mentions "insurance excess" as an example of cost that can be claimed. The context of "recover from the lessee any increased insurance costs" is quirky but I am sure the insurance companies can be accommodating to make the excess a future cost to enable a successful claim, if s 270 can be made to apply to residential tenancies.

What I am looking for is a view from someone trained in law to see if my reading is a plausible interpretation.
    The Son of Glenn

Default Hmm ... another wrinkle from the TT regarding the whole Osaki / insurance debacle.

5. If the owner has property insurance but is not covered by insurance for an event being claimed, the insurer isto include in the letter the reasons why the property insurance policy excludes cover for those events.
    If you've been following the various posts on PT regarding the Osaki issue I think you'll spot the implications behind this ruling.

TT# is 4039387

Reads to me that it's about having insurance cover, but which excludes certain circumstances, rather than whether or not the landlord has insurance. They want proof via the insurer that it's really not covered under the specific policy.

It doesn't say (yet) that they expect the landlord to have covers-everything-imaginable insurance.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

The way I read that - or, as the case may be, any insurance excess that the lessor may be required to pay in relation to any future claims for destruction or damage of that kind). - it applies to future claims, not historical ones.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Thread Information