60 minutes and the australian property market crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 minutes and the australian property market crash

Was watching a 60 minutes show last night (from Feb 21) with Jonathan Tepper predicting a crash in the Australian market. One statistic they mentioned was that 50% of new mortgages in Auz are interest only.

Does anyone know what the stats for NZ are or where this info may be accessed?

was under the impression

that interest only

was very, very difficult to get now
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

Originally posted by Tomo View Post
      Was watching a 60 minutes show last night (from Feb 21) with Jonathan Tepper predicting a crash in the Australian market. One statistic they mentioned was that 50% of new mortgages in Auz are interest only.

Does anyone know what the stats for NZ are or where this info may be accessed?
      Got a link to this story?
      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

In NZ you mean Eri? BNZ still doing it.

Comment

would it be half their lending?

half anyone's lending?
          have you defeated them?
          your demons

Comment

Yes would be interesting to know the interest only % here.

The big issue in that 60 mins story was the investing heavily in one industry towns ie: mining. I think most banks here have risks models that spread their risk across the country so hopefully some of that stuff doesn't happen here. Although most our banks are Australian banks so who knows how risky they play it. The LVR rules aren't in place in Australia either I believe which may have halted some of those issues. Values dropped massively in some mining towns.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
              Got a link to this story?
              Found the link here

Found a related story here Dave

Last edited by JABlog; 12-04-2016, 11:07 PM.

Comment

heres the 60 minutes link

Last edited by donna; 15-04-2016, 12:26 PM.

Comment

the way I see it Auckland property has become massively unaffordable based on incomes.( Even Tauranga now) Todays REINZ data shows no sign of this abating. With interest rates dropping this improves affordability but eventually these will bottom out. As this happens will the banks start relaxing their lending criteria and readily lend more interest only? or has this already happened? would be interesting to know as they are the same as the auz banks after all.

Comment

Mining is the classic example of a one trick town where you would never want to buy rental properties.

I didn't know their was anything else besides "Interest Only" ???

R Harris is not the kind of handle you want to be using in regard to an Ausie threat is it RHarris

Comment

Ha... I just saw the 1m intro, this is a beat up if ever I saw one.

I stopped watching as soon as I heard that one small mining town was an example of why the whole continent of Australian housing industry would collapse.

That smarmy guy wouldn't know a real story if it fell on him

Comment

....the low-life' aussie banksters at their best again with Reckless Lending..... and do they care..????

Comment

Originally posted by Bluekiwi View Post
                          Mining is the classic example of a one trick town where you would never want to buy rental properties.

I didn't know their was anything else besides "Interest Only" ???

R Harris is not the kind of handle you want to be using in regard to an Ausie threat is it RHarris
                          I havent looked into it at all, but wouldn't buying investment properties in mining towns after/during a mining downturn be a potentially lucrative strategy? Mining booms come and go frequently don't they? - buying between booms and selling during booms might be quite profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbkiwi View Post
                            I havent looked into it at all, but wouldn't buying investment properties in mining towns after/during a mining downturn be a potentially lucrative strategy? Mining booms come and go frequently don't they? - buying between booms and selling during booms might be quite profitable.
                            A lot of investors still use I/O, moreso in Auckland where you can't get to cashflow neutral without putting in a huge deposit when buying each property.
                            I think Auckland is extremely susceptible to the same thing happening at some stage very soon.
                            People got caught up in the hype of it all and will most likely suffer a similar fate unless they are lowly geared or have mostly P & I loans and are paying down debt.
                            Facebook Property Chat Group NZ
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/340682962758216/

Comment

Looks that way. Nearly half are investors.

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

Comment

Working...
                              X