Tenant Viewings outside of office hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant Viewings outside of office hours

I have had several requests to give tenants viewings outside of office hours because they work. Although this doesn't fit in with company policy I could just about guarantee we get tenants who can pay on time every time if we know they have a stable work income? Anyone have any thoughts?

G

Make like a real estate agent and have an "open home" on the weekend.
    Perhaps 1hr on Sat/Sun.

It saves running around to meet people at the property at all hours.
    Half of whom don't even turn up.
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

We only do open homes, usually on a Saturday around the middle of the day. Usually get 2 or 3 applicants from the viewing, seldom have to hold another one.

However it depends on level of demand in the area. Maybe 1 mid week 6pm?

For a PM, if 'office hours' don't deliver the best results for the owner - the one paying the bills- I would be looking hard at company policy.

Comment

Yeah, when we moved to BOP and had to find a temp rental I could never figure that one out. Landlords/rental agents always want the 'professional couple/family' yet expected you to drop everything to go to their property viewing.. Professionals have busy schedules usually and taking an hour or much more if in Auckland to go and view a property during a work week is pretty unrealistic. Estate agents work on weekends and after hours, surely rental agents could look to do the same to some degree?

Comment

Originally posted by Lizvdw View Post
          Yeah, when we moved to BOP and had to find a temp rental I could never figure that one out. Landlords/rental agents always want the 'professional couple/family' yet expected you to drop everything to go to their property viewing.. Professionals have busy schedules usually and taking an hour or much more if in Auckland to go and view a property during a work week is pretty unrealistic. Estate agents work on weekends and after hours, surely rental agents could look to do the same to some degree?
          There is a massive difference between the commission a real estate agent receives and the paltry salary a PM gets. If you are keen on a property then it is up to you to make the effort to get to the property at a time set by the agent. Do you expect them to drop their family and friends to show you through at weekends?

Comment

Not at all but that is the nature of real estate - hence my comment '...to some degree...'. Being a PM is their choice. With my work I have chosen to do, I too have to make family sacrifices and when I get to the point that I no longer like it I will change jobs. The point I am trying to make is that a compromise can be reached but generally (yes, I generalize) they are not interested. All of this is based on my experience of rental property hunting, over 2 months, and dealing with around 8 different property agents. And an estate agent selling your home does not dictate the time they wish to bring the potential buyer through, it is usually at your convenience or at a prearranged open house time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizvdw View Post
              Not at all but that is the nature of real estate - hence my comment '...to some degree...'. Being a PM is their choice. With my work I have chosen to do, I too have to make family sacrifices and when I get to the point that I no longer like it I will change jobs. The point I am trying to make is that a compromise can be reached but generally (yes, I generalize) they are not interested. All of this is based on my experience of rental property hunting, over 2 months, and dealing with around 8 different property agents. And an estate agent selling your home does not dictate the time they wish to bring the potential buyer through, it is usually at your convenience or at a prearranged open house time.
              Property Managers take on the job as they are not expected to work after hours and weekends, if they wanted to do 24/7 they would be real estate agents and get paid the big bucks accordingly. Some PM's will do a viewing after normal office hours but the reality is that a letting agent may only get a weeks rent as a commission or if they are on a retainer they may be 30% of the weeks rent as a commission. If its a $1200 week rent then they may do the extra but if it's a $350 week let only, no management then probably not.

Comment

Working...
              X