• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trees and Roots ?

Reasonably well known point that if tree branches are crossing the boundary and creating a nuisance, then one is allowed to cut them off and return them to the owner. Obviously such actions should always be preceded by discussion wherever possible.

What happens with this issue below ground however; when the neighbours tree roots are interfering with drainage and causing problems ? Discussion always a starting point, but if that fails, is there any official method of redress ?

Thank you, good clear advice !

Hi, I've got a situation where the trees alongside the boundary fence have grown up and are hanging over the neighbouring properties (subdivided, front and back houses).
    The neighbours (front and back) approached my tenant and said they want the trees removed. I have had two quotes from tree removal companies this week done, awaiting a third.
    If I just get the trees pruned so they don't hang over the fence that will resolve the issue, temporarily, however if I get them removed completely that will stop the issue recurring. My question is, if I go for the permanent option which will cost considerably more, am I to bear to full cost?
    Advice appreciated, thanks.

Your trees, your cost ?

That was my initial thought but thought I'd ask the question...it would be cheaper to just prune but if I went further and got them removed then that would be significantly more costly but would ensure the neighbours never have to deal with branches or leaves coming across the fence line (they got the tenant to take a picture of the leaves they had raked into a pile), I'm not sure if leaves are covered by any type of legislation etc.

I had a beer at the weekend with a tree chap, he said trimming trees was like getting your hair cut. Most of his trim clients were regularly scheduled in for contact, his regulars. Made more from them than the cut down brigade by a long shot !

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    Reasonably well known point that if tree branches are crossing the boundary and creating a nuisance, then one is allowed to cut them off and return them to the owner. Obviously such actions should always be preceded by discussion wherever possible.

What happens with this issue below ground however; when the neighbours tree roots are interfering with drainage and causing problems ? Discussion always a starting point, but if that fails, is there any official method of redress ?
    Hi Nice

We had an issue recently when this happened and raw sewage started to leak out and the council got involved with that one.

We've had other cases where we have had to pursue it through the disputes tribunal....

Hope that helps
    Fraser Wilkinson
    www.managemyrental.co.nz
    Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Quote Originally Posted by Phi View Post
    That was my initial thought but thought I'd ask the question...it would be cheaper to just prune but if I went further and got them removed then that would be significantly more costly but would ensure the neighbours never have to deal with branches or leaves coming across the fence line (they got the tenant to take a picture of the leaves they had raked into a pile), I'm not sure if leaves are covered by any type of legislation etc.
    A lot depends on the amentity value of the trees.
    Most people like trees which is where the regular trim come in.
    It's a maintenance cost!

We have pulled 5 trees out and issued the neighbours (2 properties on cross leased site) with a fencing notice. Their costs 1/4 each share of the new fence and 1/4 share to remove to the trees. We will meet the cost of disposing the trees/foliage. So far 1 has said ok, the other is in Oz and hasn't said no just that she was wanting to look over the info I sent which gave her 21 days to come with an alternative.
    I used Housing NZ rate of $113 a tree 2-5 metres. We own a digger and chain saw so no biggie for us. Just do it!

Thread Information