Environment Court judge rules on Wellington view-blocking fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Environment Court judge rules on Wellington view-blocking fence

A controversial Wellington view-blocking fence must go, a judge has ordered.
    A Roseneath couple who have been trying to get a view-blocking fence removed or lowered heard the order from the Environment Court on Friday morning.
    Peter and Sylvia Aitchison along with the Wellington City Council have asked the court to at least reduce the height of a child's play fort built by David Walmsley which blocks the Wellington harbour view from their Maida Vale Rd property.

Walmsley has opposed the application. The structure is permitted under the district plan and he has said he wanted privacy for his property which sits below the Aitchison's.

What does the moron want to do? Run a nudist colony? I can't see how being publicly known throughout NZ as the neighborhood douchebag could be conductive towards his claimed desire for "privacy". I call BS on him.

Not his fault if it's allowed. It's just life. If you want no risk of losing a view pay for the front. It's sad and a pity the guy didn't work in to be neighbourly but not his problem at all really. He did what he was allowed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
      I call BS on him.
      I agree with MichaelNZ again - a worry.

Another court ruled that the council was wrong and it wasn't permitted in the 1st place.
      Though the council is appealing that decision they joined with the Aitchisons in the latest case to have the fence lowered.
      The decision to approve the structure was a technical matter relating to how the District Plan was interpreted - its impacts were a separate issue.

Comment

But that's not the owners problem Wayne that was my point. He just did what he was allowed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Damap View Post
          Not his fault if it's allowed. It's just life. If you want no risk of losing a view pay for the front. It's sad and a pity the guy didn't work in to be neighbourly but not his problem at all really. He did what he was allowed to do.
          I both think he is a douchebag and I feel sorry for him. He must be very suspicious of his neighbors and fellow man.

How can I explain this? I live in a small town and our place is wide open in view - as normal for a rural farming area - and we have few complaints. The guy down the road (who incidentally also built a high fence) has a whole list of complaints. I'm friendly with him and I have told him straight - he is drawing attention to himself.

In regards to the article - I am certain nobody cares as much about his private life as he believes until he made a spectacle.

Comment

I agree with you, (miracle), but when you look at the photos I can see both sides. The guy wants privacy for his kids and maybe the missus likes to go topless I mean who knows.

The fact remains he did what he was allowed to do. So not really kosher to attack him. Council maybe. Anyway as he was in front I am sure he can buy another property with more privacy if he can't stand the decision today.

Comment

He built a playground - 4m fence for a playground?
              I wouldn't have done it even if I could as it is such a horrible thing to do!

Comment

If you want privacy buy at the top!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                  He built a playground - 4m fence for a playground?
                  I wouldn't have done it even if I could as it is such a horrible thing to do!
                  It looks like he is one of those manipulative characters who having made a fool of themselves, proceeds to plead some BS story. If he does have children, I feel sorry for them.

Comment

If you look at the pics though what he has done is quite reasonable. He has made it only high enough to stop the neighbours looking at his kids playing. Just not his fault.

Comment

If you look at the pics though what he has done is quite reasonable. He has made it only high enough to stop the neighbours looking at his kids playing. Just not his fault.
                      Let's see how long you maintain the strength of your convictions if it happens to you... and btw New Zealand is a pretty small place. That guy is now known as an ***hole to deal with.

Comment

You're missing my point though Michael which is simply it's not his fault. Yes he might be a prick but you can't be sure of that without knowing the whole story. He can always sell some of his Taupo properties and upgrade to a castle somewhere :-). The titles are a little weird on his property and the Aitchisons. Looks like the Aitchisons originally owned both properties. Should have kept it :-).

My mum had the same thing happen but it was just life. If you want guaranteed front views buy the front.

Whole thing is sad for sure but the only real villain appears to be council.

Comment

You're missing my point though Michael which is simply it's not his fault. Yes he might be a prick but you can't be sure of that without knowing the whole story. He can always sell some of his Taupo properties and upgrade to a castle somewhere :-). The titles are a little weird on his property and the Aitchisons. Looks like the Aitchisons originally owned both properties. Should have kept it :-).

My mum had the same thing happen but it was just life. If you want guaranteed front views buy the front.
                          That sounds like a bunch of excuses. Ignore legal norms and end up in court. Ignore social norms and incur the wrath of those around you. Social norms say don't be a tosser and everyone can clearly see from the pictures this guy is a first class ****er.

He's lucky he's living in the posh part of town. There are lots of areas in New Zealand where his attitude would be met with a more "direct" response.
                          Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 22-01-2016, 03:13 PM.

Comment

maybe but you would have to talk to him directly to be sure. Creating privacy is not socially abnormal. One could argue he could have moved rather than stuff up the neighbours place but this does happen all the time. When I lived in Half Moon Bay there were several court cases over views and height to boundary and trees. The more expensive the area the more likely to be litigious situations. Hypothetically, what if the ex rower liked to display his twig and berries of a morning on the deck with a coffee?
                            Just saying there might be more going on here.

Comment

The more expensive the area the more likely to be litigious situations. Hypothetically, what if the ex rower liked to display his twig and berries of a morning on the deck with a coffee?
                              Just saying there might be more going on here.
                              Who gives a **** about his opinion or BS excuse? (and what he says is clearly BS). Social norms are decided by group consensus which of course varies from community to community. As it happens, NZ is kind of one large community and this guy has acted in a fashion which any normal sane person (as opposed to the very small minority who vote the ACT party) would say was out of order.

Personal liberty is not absolute, for it it were, the end result would be the inverse.

Comment

Working...
                              X