Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting fence

Hi guys

I am going to paint my fence, the fence on both side of my house are shared fence. Is there anything I need to worry about? Thanks

James

Originally posted by James.wu View Post
    Hi guys

I am going to paint my fence, the fence on both side of my house are shared fence. Is there anything I need to worry about? Thanks

James
    First of all you need to decide if you are going to paint or stain the fence and then preparation is the key to any painting job.

If the fence has previously been painted you will need to clean off any loose/flaking paint etc. Also ensure that you remove any mould, moss, lichen etc. Water blaster is good for this. If the fence has been heavily coated with moss, lichen etc, it may pay to apply a solution to kill this before painting. Ensure that the fence is dry before applying the first coat.

Comment

does the neighbour want his side painted?

what about parts that he may see (the top or the gaps between boards etc

Comment

Who owns the fence? If it is on the boundary both neighbours do. If it is on one property or the other it is owned by that owner who can do what they like with it. Not that I am suggesting that, at least without talking to the neighbour who may not be too keen on a pink fence with yellow dots.

It is not uncommon for a fence to be only on one property, usually because neighbours don't agree on some aspect, eg design, sharing cost. This might have happened back in the distant past, who knows.

As J the B says the neighbour might not be keen on pink drips through the boards (tricky to avoid) or on a cap on top which is a different colour to his side.

Comment

What sort of fence is it? Timber, concrete, coloursteel, etc? Are you planning to spray paint it or brush?

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
            does the neighbour want his side painted?

what about parts that he may see (the top or the gaps between boards etc
            Hi John,

I don't think my neighbour on the right is keen judging by the frequency they do their lawn, but the one on the left may be keen to do it. The one on the left is very tidy.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
              Who owns the fence? If it is on the boundary both neighbours do. If it is on one property or the other it is owned by that owner who can do what they like with it. Not that I am suggesting that, at least without talking to the neighbour who may not be too keen on a pink fence with yellow dots.

It is not uncommon for a fence to be only on one property, usually because neighbours don't agree on some aspect, eg design, sharing cost. This might have happened back in the distant past, who knows.

As J the B says the neighbour might not be keen on pink drips through the boards (tricky to avoid) or on a cap on top which is a different colour to his side.
              How do I find out who own the fence? Will my local council know?

Comment

Originally posted by AlFa View Post
                What sort of fence is it? Timber, concrete, coloursteel, etc? Are you planning to spray paint it or brush?
                its timber, and there are lot of miss on it. It's all black, and pretty sure it wasn't black when it's new.

Comment

Start from talking to neighbors anyway. If they want to do their side - you're in luck, if not - hopefully they will not mind your work at least. If all good, then treat the moss, wash with wire brush, leave to dry and spray paint it with someone holding a cardboard on the other side of fence.

Comment

Originally posted by James.wu View Post
                    Hi guys

James

Google it ... seriously instead of posting why not just go and ask your neighbour ?

Wish him Happy new Year ... break the ice you get the drift..

Comment

Show up with a bucket of paint, a six-pack and an extra paint brush :-P
                      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
                        Show up with a bucket of paint, a six-pack and an extra paint brush :-P
                        Good idea

Comment

Working...
                        X