Drain Backflow from neigbours on easement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazenkai View Post
    Anyone recommend a sump 'n pump? Lowers the value of the house much? Maintenance a pain?
    I have a property in a BC, in which about 7 houses are connected to the pump/sump. Blocked twice in 5 years but no problems on both occasions. Drain layer just lifted pump, cleared it and no problems. The problem in my situation is that the people connected to the pump are not even aware of the pump, consequently little care is taken of what gets flushed down. If there is only one house connected to your pump, you should have very few problems.

Maintenance has not been an issue, we have a spare pump, if one requires attention we just swap them over and get the faulty pump serviced. This has happened once in 5 years. The pump is submersible and is easily pulled up from the bottom of the sump, it is attached to a chain and just slides up a couple of rails. Cost was about $300 to service the pump but can't remember what was wrong with it.

I can't think why it would lower the value of the property but maybe J the B is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Aston View Post
      I have a property in a BC, in which about 7 houses are connected to the pump/sump. Blocked twice in 5 years but no problems on both occasions. Drain layer just lifted pump, cleared it and no problems. The problem in my situation is that the people connected to the pump are not even aware of the pump, consequently little care is taken of what gets flushed down. If there is only one house connected to your pump, you should have very few problems.

Maintenance has not been an issue, we have a spare pump, if one requires attention we just swap them over and get the faulty pump serviced. This has happened once in 5 years. The pump is submersible and is easily pulled up from the bottom of the sump, it is attached to a chain and just slides up a couple of rails. Cost was about $300 to service the pump but can't remember what was wrong with it.

I can't think why it would lower the value of the property but maybe J the B is correct.

Thanks for that - sounds encouraging.

Just wondering if a pump can get the sewage moving if there is a slump further up the pipe. Does it have the force to do that?

Comment

Just wondering if a pump can get the sewage moving if there is a slump further up the pipe. Does it have the force to do that?
        No, the slump would need to be fixed first.

Comment

No, the slump would need to be fixed first
          assuming the slump is downstream?
          The outlet pipe for the pump could be positioned in the same pipe and far enough down do that it gets past the slump once past then the drain does its job.

Comment

If it is determined that the slump is the root cause of the problem, it would be worth checking the rules around easements.

I think I recall that where an easement has been granted there are some responsibilities to protect it. This was informal advice from the council. More than that I don't know.

My experience mentioned above was that the neighbouring property, through which my sewer pipe passed, had paved pretty much every inch of the property so the drain problem area was not accessible without ripping (flash) paving up. The neighbour was not happy and required everything to be put back the way it was. This was after a lot of to and fro over refusal to allow access to the property until the council intervened and told them they had no choice. We did this at our cost just to get the thing sorted, but possibly could have tried to recover some of the cost.

I remain perfectly civil to the neighbour, but have declined to participate in a couple of their boundary related proposals which benefit them but not me. Karma. (One of those was to replace an adequate fence which is admittedly not pretty but I don't care as I can't see it.)

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
              assuming the slump is downstream?
              The outlet pipe for the pump could be positioned in the same pipe and far enough down do that it gets past the slump once past then the drain does its job.

Right, though the slump is in the center of the neighbors property so we would effectively be trying to pump her sewage as well as our own.
              Will have to see what the engineer says.

Comment

Right, though the slump is in the center of the neighbors property so we would effectively be trying to pump her sewage as well as our own.
                Will have to see what the engineer says.
                Well technically I think J the B may be correct in that your outlet pipe could go inside the drain, right past the slump. But I personally think it will be best to sort out the slump first. I think you need onsite advice from a drain layer.

Comment

Working...
                X