Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage conversion into minor dwelling/self contained unit

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 3 bedrooms house with a detached garage at the back in te atatu south, the garage has done a extension a few years ago and the previous owner also built a studio in there (just obtained CCC prior settlement). I am currently trying to explore the option of completely transfer the garage into a 2bedrooms minor dwelling. But the LIM report says the house is in flood plain and overflow path also goes through the backyard of the house. When I trying to get consent from the council to do such transformation, will that be a problem even through the garage has already been there (i.e. when converting garage into a house, the use purpose will be different, so council will be really restricted on such application?) Also can anyone recommend me a builder with such experience. How much would it probably cost, is 80k sound reasonable? Thanks guys.

Converting an existing garage into a dwelling will not be straightforward. The first issue will be resource consent rather than building consent. The starting point would be to establish the permitted standards for Minor Dwellings under the operative plan for your area. Are they permitted as of right? What is the max floor area allowed. Can it comply with permitted standards for this activity such as site coverage, on site parking and manoeuvring and boundary setbacks. Are there any special conditions such as dependant relative or family occupation? If you cannot meet a performance standard then what is the status of the activity? i.e Will it be controlled, or discretionary. Even if it is a permitted activity and you can meet the standards the building code will stipulate minimum floor areas that will be different to a garage.

You could try running your proposal past a Council planner but really you should be seeking professional advice regarding the project. Is subdivision a better option?

Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Shalodge View Post
      Converting an existing garage into a dwelling will not be straightforward. The first issue will be resource consent rather than building consent. The starting point would be to establish the permitted standards for Minor Dwellings under the operative plan for your area. Are they permitted as of right? What is the max floor area allowed. Can it comply with permitted standards for this activity such as site coverage, on site parking and manoeuvring and boundary setbacks. Are there any special conditions such as dependant relative or family occupation? If you cannot meet a performance standard then what is the status of the activity? i.e Will it be controlled, or discretionary. Even if it is a permitted activity and you can meet the standards the building code will stipulate minimum floor areas that will be different to a garage.

You could try running your proposal past a Council planner but really you should be seeking professional advice regarding the project. Is subdivision a better option?

Russell
      Thanks Russell,

The reason I am currently thinking to add minor dwelling rather than subdivide is simply because the land is in flood plain with overflow path at backyard which would have more difficulty if go subdivide I assume, correct me if I am wrong about that? And converting a existing garage into a minor dwelling might be more likely to be accepted by the council?

Allen

Comment

I'm in the process of completing the same, with a flood plain. Council will ask you to do an engineering/surveyor report to find out ground level, min floor level etc. Possibly $10-15k engineering cost which is part of resource consent. Then the cost may be how to address it.. raise the garage or some other solution potentially. Talk to council first but regardless what they say, it comes down to what they really say when you actually apply. Depending on what's inside, you may find that you have to virtually rip off everything inside and rebuild it to new code (insulation, strengthening etc). Add services, water, reserve contribution etc costs. Prob estimate anywhere $100-150k depending on how complicated your building and resource consent is.

Comment

No don't assume that just because you are on an overland flow path that you cannot subdivide or build. There will be a minimum floor level height and you may not be able to construct a building platform (water may need to flow under building). Just be careful not to fall into the trap of ruling out a future subdivision opportunity by a poorly considered or positioned minor dwelling. A garage can be bowled if necessary. The proposed AK unitary plan sounds like it might encourage intensification and there could be some good opportunities for certain properties in locations where there is capacity in existing infrastructure.

Comment

Originally posted by Shalodge View Post
            Just be careful not to fall into the trap of ruling out a future subdivision opportunity by a poorly considered or positioned minor dwelling. A garage can be bowled if necessary. The proposed AK unitary plan sounds like it might encourage intensification and there could be some good opportunities for certain properties in locations where there is capacity in existing infrastructure.
            Totally agree. Better to put a proper house on the site than a scummy minor dwelling which devalues everything.

Comment

you need to understand what they mean by flood plain and overland flow path

restrictions are designed to stop 'dam-ing' a flow path where shallow surface water naturally goes this would have been considered when the garage was built.(and the studio established)

You can convert the studio to a granny flat without creating a Change of use under the building Act

The RMA is a different beast but if minor dwelling is allowed then you may have the right to do so under the district plan if you already satisfy parking and living courts etc

Don't be sucked into upgrading if it is not a change of use then they cant make you.

Even a subdivision under s116A doesn't trigger much more than an alteration under s112. as long as it is safe and sanitary

I can see that the economics of demolishing can compare to the simple provision of a kit perhaps that makes it all there
              Last edited by John the builder; 07-12-2015, 12:09 PM. Reason: spell

Comment

Working...
              X