Cost of Sun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Sun!

I've got a section under contract in a good area of Tauranga I'm looking to buy in. However the only issue with the property is a large tree just outside the north boundary. The tree is a London plane tree which sheds in winter, but gives a large canopy of shade in summer. Because its an olf tree, its listed and council has already refused an application to get rid of it.

Planning to build a 3bed north facing rental property.

Morning : Good sun all around north
    Afternoon: The tree will completely block out the sun from the backyard and house.
    Evening : A little light filters in when the suns really low.

How much should this effect what I am willing to pay for a section, if at all?

Would love some opinions or thoughts on this

Comment

Originally posted by evilc79 View Post
      Would love some opinions or thoughts on this
      Is the tree on private land or council owned land?

Could the tree be a threat to a house, say if it were to blow down or branches breaking off in a storm? If this is the case, then the Council may be more sympathetic when the house is built. If there is a threat to the house, then it may also affect your insurance.

I was recently considering the purchase of a section, with very large pine trees on an adjacent section. If one of the trees were to blow down in a storm, any house in its path would be demolished. I submitted an offer conditional upon the vendor getting the trees removed, the sale/purchase didn't proceed.

Comment

Perhaps a consideration is what you may want in future for the property. If, for example, you plan to sell one day and buyers are probably owner occupiers then sun will be more important. Yes, important to renters as well but not so much maybe.

Do you have an option to build multi units on the section, including 2 (or more) stories? That would make the rent a bit cheaper, plus cover more of the section so outside living may be less of an issue if deck and courtyard are the main areas.

About the tree. Doubt if the council will change its mind. However, sun in winter and shade in summer is better than the other way around.

Comment

Trees can be pruned maybe check with a local arborist. Quite a few protected trees have been allowed to be chopped down in Tauranga - google BoP Times - not sure if you need to be in with Council to get special dispensation however.

Realistically with the shortage of rentals in Tauranga (depending on area) I doubt it will affect the number of applications to rent it.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Aston - Tree is on neighbors land, need resource consent to trim it. Will look at threat to house while we are building. Its a healthy 40 yr old tree, so don't think there should be many issues.

Artemis - It's planned as a long term rental. Cannot build multi-units because of covenants. Good idea on covered outdoor living, will look into that.

Macchachic - Can't chop this one down, but pruning is possibility. I think you're most probably right about the sun factor not affecting rental applications with the current shortage and the fact that this will be a brand new house.

Appreciate all the advise guys!

Comment

Working...
            X