Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to approach tenant about sublet garage

Long term tenant (15 years) is letting her carpetlayer son use her
    garage as a city base, probably goes to it every second day to retrive carpet
    etc.

The son is not a tenant and money is probably not changing hands.

I know this is not allowed nor wanted, had reports he races up the driveway to top things off.
    It is most probably deemed to now being used for commercial purposes and could make
    insurance void ?

Is a 10 day notice to remedy the situation the best course of action ?

To take any form of personal attack out of it I was thinking could word it something like:

It has come to our attention your garage is being used for the commercial puposes of
    storing carpet and is in breach of our insurance policy ............. (something along those lines)

What would you do ?

Cheers
    Last edited by iwik; 20-10-2015, 02:29 PM.

Would it impact your insurance policy?

Comment

I think the point is that he wants the son and his stuff out and is looking for a non confrontational way to deal with it?

Comment

Or you could talk to the tenant to see if the son could be a bit more considerate.

Comment

Originally posted by skid View Post
          I think the point is that he wants the son and his stuff out and is looking for a non confrontational way to deal with it?
          I get that but why, if there is not in fact an insurance issue. Apart from insurance (possibly), and the son driving inconsiderately, what really is wrong with storing stuff in mum's garage. It's not like the son is running a noisy business in the garage.

Comment

This one could easily be used as an example of what is wrong with NZ renting.
            Obviously I only know what was written in a few lines of post but it seems the tenant isn't going to be allowed to fully use the property she rents (for 15 years).
            Maybe there is more to the story?
            Based on what is written I'd just ask the tenant to ask the son to be considerate and leave it at that.
            I don't think storing a bit of stuff in a garage has turned it into a commercial operation.

Comment

Why not ask the insurance company for their take on it?

(If they say that it's OK, get that in writing!)

Comment

Id be keeping a 15 year tenant happy myself they must be good to have kept them that long.

Comment

absolutely--thats why the most diplomatic solution would be best--if its ok with insurance,then the issue is how to keep the peace.
                  A simple mention to the son may easily solve this--He is obviously racing off to the next job (with that in mind) probably has never given it a thought that it might be any disturbance--Just taking it easy in the drive before booting it to the next job is not to difficult--especially if the communication kept positive. Im sure he doesnt want to lose his storage place any more than others want the noise.---first step though is insurance--I would imagine their main concern would be fire hazard,which would certainly be less than paint storage etc.--they can be pretty finicky though.

Comment

Well, what is written on the tenancy agreement?
                    Using a garage as storage is quite common, why would residential use be an insurance issue?
                    What is so difficult talking to the tenant during inspections and making sure both parties are happy?

Comment

Cheers for all the replies.

Missed out an important aspect sorry - the garage is within a block of 8 units 8 garages.
                      Just think you leave yourself wide open for other tenants to do the same, only
                      right to treat everybody the same. The driveway would simply not cope.

Comment

Originally posted by iwik View Post
                        The driveway would simply not cope.
                        You did say he drives up there ever second day didn't you?

Comment

Really!? The son possibly has more to lose in the value of the carpet than what the garage is worth ....just saying.....

Comment

Was meaning the driveway would not cope if other tenants did the same.

Comment

Received some good advice on another property forum.

Problem solved !

Comment

Working...
                              X