Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do i really need a lbp project manager ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i really need a lbp project manager ?

I'm currently waiting for the resource consent from council for my 100-year Villa extension project, ( new kitchen, new ensuit master BR ) was wondering anybody have any previous experience with managing their own project, and have no problem of getting the CCC after the completion. Ofcourse all the tradesman will be licensed as plumber, builder, and electrician. My role is only to coordinate the job. As I find a few quotes from the Project Manager are just ridiculously high.

Really appreciate your comment.

Cheers.
    Cool Al

why do you need a project manager at all, a good builder can manage the job its not a 20 storey building

Comment

Have had no problems, nor ever employed a Project Manager on several similar jobs over recent years; including one with NZHPT involvement !

Comment

What you need is a good builder - the rest just flows.
        Follow the builders lead to get the right people in at the right time.
        The builder might charge an hour or two for their extra time but you do all the running around saving them time.

Comment

Depends on how much you know about building, plumbing, etc. If one of them comes to you and says that everything will now take a month longer because of some unavoidable thing, will you be able to tell if they're right or just giving you the run-around? If the shower leaks and the plumber blames the builder and vice versa, will you be able to tell who's right?

Comment

Originally posted by helenalex View Post
            Depends on how much you know about building, plumbing, etc. If one of them comes to you and says that everything will now take a month longer because of some unavoidable thing, will you be able to tell if they're right or just giving you the run-around? If the shower leaks and the plumber blames the builder and vice versa, will you be able to tell who's right?
            would a project manager?

Comment

Originally posted by usranger View Post
              I'm currently waiting for the resource consent from council for my 100-year Villa extension project, ( new kitchen, new ensuit master BR ) was wondering anybody have any previous experience with managing their own project, and have no problem of getting the CCC after the completion. Ofcourse all the tradesman will be licensed as plumber, builder, and electrician. My role is only to coordinate the job. As I find a few quotes from the Project Manager are just ridiculously high.

Really appreciate your comment.

Cheers.
              Cool Al
              I notice that you don't mention the piles? Has the property been repiled? If not then you need to get that done before you do anything else. Where is the property?

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
                would a project manager?
                Guess it depends on the PM. If he is trade qualified and "experienced" then he should be able to coordinate the trades and oversee the work prior to sign off. Not hard to wipe bums if you know what you are doing.
                There is no reason why a PM can't manage the job and organise subbies and the owner pays the bills.

Comment

Thank u for all your advise, I guest I will get a real qualify builder first.
                  #Meehole : the property is in Auckland, and yes I did see the architect drawings with new pile for the extension, will need to source for 1 as well
                  cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
                    There is no reason why a PM can't manage the job and organise subbies and the owner pays the bills.
                    why add another mouth to feed when a good builder will do this as part of his job

Comment

why add another mouth to feed when a good builder will do this as part of his job

Possibly.

Depends just how good they are and there attention to detail - most miss things from the snag lists I type up and we regularly write down claims or require justification for certain aspects and the companies we oversee are a wide range across company sizes all with good reps and track records.

However the same also applies to the PM.

Comment

Because builders build and project managers project manage. A good builder is not necessarily a good project manager and as we know most tradeys do deals with their mates so an independent person such as a PM might be able to get best person for best price.

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
                          Because builders build and project managers project manage. A good builder is not necessarily a good project manager and as we know most tradeys do deals with their mates so an independent person such as a PM might be able to get best person for best price.
                          i have never had a builder say to me "you can jack your price up on this one cos there is no PM" from my experience since being self employed since 1986 builders use subbies they trust, that do a good job and will be reliable. people who shop around for the "best price" usually get what they pay for

Comment

i have never had a builder say to me "you can jack your price up on this one cos there is no PM" from my experience since being self employed since 1986 builders use subbies they trust, that do a good job and will be reliable. people who shop around for the "best price" usually get what they pay for
                            I use my builders subbies every time - he trusts them so I do (I trust my builder absolutely).
                            They may cost more (my builder once said 'I use xxx, he costs a bit more but he's good and reliable') but cost isn't everything.
                            The disappointment in a poor job will long outlive the joy of paying less.

Comment

I am a builder/PM currently and in my experience the vast majority of project managers are a waste of time. Just recently I did a two day job as a favor for another company with a PM and he literally stood around all day doing nothing, it was unreal. People were paying his wage literally so that he could use his own subs and tell them when to be there. Have done full builds with project managers also which were added a huge cost and time for what we do normally. This is not uncommon and I see it with a lot of bigger subs in the industry.

A good builder has much more knowledge of the project than a project manager unless he is very experienced in building.

I have done owner managed jobs too, but it often requires just as much work on the builders' side to keep everything moving. A good builder will also use good subs. Reliability and workmanship are hard to measure before you use someone, even over a single job it can be hard to determine their worth. This doesn't always mean higher cost either: for example the stoppers, painters and tiler we use are reliable, quick and do a good job, but they are well priced. All said and done though, it's not as easy to pick a good builder.

Comment

Working...
                              X