• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1

    Default Kitchenette for elderly parents in our own home

    Hi, we have purchased a property large enough to house my elderly parents, it has a separate wing attached to our own home (it was used as a business and has direct access from the main lounge room of the house) There is a bedroom with ensuite, two other rooms and a huge lounge room which I guess was a board room) It has plumbing already in the lounge area (consented) ready to hook up a kitchenette. I want to know if what I have heard is right? From talking to friends I have heard that we can apply for consent for a kitchenette, or the alternative is to put in a kitchen suitable to their needs without consent then when we eventually sell the property on we have to pull it all out! I also heard that we can sign a statutory declaration with council stating that we will not be 'renting out' or using it for any other purposes other than dependent parents or extended family members. Is this right? What are we allowed to install and what would constitute a kitchenette if we are not allowed a full kitchen? Remembering that the plumbing is all ready there to go for the kitchenette and has been approved, the previous owners didn't get around to completing the job as they have moved due to employment elsewhere. We live in Christchurch NZ. Thank you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Hi, we have purchased a property large enough to house my elderly parents, it has a separate wing attached to our own home (it was used as a business and has direct access from the main lounge room of the house) There is a bedroom with ensuite, two other rooms and a huge lounge room which I guess was a board room) It has plumbing already in the lounge area (consented) ready to hook up a kitchenette. I want to know if what I have heard is right? From talking to friends I have heard that we can apply for consent for a kitchenette, or the alternative is to put in a kitchen suitable to their needs without consent then when we eventually sell the property on we have to pull it all out! I also heard that we can sign a statutory declaration with council stating that we will not be 'renting out' or using it for any other purposes other than dependent parents or extended family members. Is this right? What are we allowed to install and what would constitute a kitchenette if we are not allowed a full kitchen? Remembering that the plumbing is all ready there to go for the kitchenette and has been approved, the previous owners didn't get around to completing the job as they have moved due to employment elsewhere. We live in Christchurch NZ. Thank you!
    If you have consent for the sink, there is no requirement for any additional consent for a kitchen or kitchentte.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,908

    Default

    What about a mini oven with a hot plate?
    http://www.briscoes.co.nz/kitchen/ap...kot630-1042000

    Save mega$$ in stupid taxes!
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elguapo View Post
    If you have consent for the sink, there is no requirement for any additional consent for a kitchen or kitchentte.

    Thanks! What about firewalls? Do we need to make it fire safe? I wasn't sure about the adding of extractor fans or small oven or hotplates? I can't really understand the reasoning behind some people saying we can use a portable counter top oven and hot plate as I personally think they are more dangerous than the built in ones. It all seems a bit strange to me! I was purely thinking of installing a small wall oven and then a set of hotplates on top with a good splash back. Also putting their frontloading washing machine behind some doors with their tumble dryer also. Then a little island bench on the other side with some barstools. The kitchen/kitchenette would all be along one wall. Their cupboards would be under the island bench! The sink would be along the outside wall as the plumbing is already set to go for it! It said on the auction brochure from Harcourts "plumbing installed for kitchenette". The plans have it stamped also for compliance but it was stamped in 2005! Does that mean we can go ahead?? Thanks for your help!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Thanks! What about firewalls? Do we need to make it fire safe?
    You only need fire rated walls between separate dwellings. As it remains a single household, there is no requirement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I wasn't sure about the adding of extractor fans or small oven or hotplates? I can't really understand the reasoning behind some people saying we can use a portable counter top oven and hot plate as I personally think they are more dangerous than the built in ones. It all seems a bit strange to me! I was purely thinking of installing a small wall oven and then a set of hotplates on top with a good splash back.
    You can install a full oven/cooktop. Your only limited by the power requirement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Also putting their frontloading washing machine behind some doors with their tumble dryer also. Then a little island bench on the other side with some barstools. The kitchen/kitchenette would all be along one wall. Their cupboards would be under the island bench! The sink would be along the outside wall as the plumbing is already set to go for it! It said on the auction brochure from Harcourts "plumbing installed for kitchenette". The plans have it stamped also for compliance but it was stamped in 2005! Does that mean we can go ahead?? Thanks for your help
    Nothing indicates that you can't. Make sure everything is installed to building code and you'll be fine.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Shore Auckland
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    .... I can't really understand the reasoning behind some people saying we can use a portable counter top oven and hot plate as I personally think they are more dangerous than the built in ones. It all seems a bit strange to me! I was purely thinking of installing a small wall oven and then a set of hotplates on top with a good splash back. ...
    The reason people are saying to use a portable counter top oven is due to the electrical load that a full oven draws.

    Ordinary domestic wiring is too light weight and is NOT rated for more than one oven. Installing a second oven would create a fire risk as the wiring heats up..... and thus your insurance policy would be void if your house burned down as a result.

    Your idea of a small hot plate installed into the bench top will probably work ok.

    Most electricians would be able to talk you through the options.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    795

    Default

    A second oven is not a problem, the load comes from the hot plate. I have been told this by an electrical shop and a kitchen planner. If you can put a gas hob in you would overcome this.
    I have put a combination microwave in a granny flat/separate dwelling. The tenants are happy with this. I am not sure that it meets the requirements of the RTA though

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    A second oven is not a problem, the load comes from the hot plate. I have been told this by an electrical shop and a kitchen planner. If you can put a gas hob in you would overcome this.
    I have put a combination microwave in a granny flat/separate dwelling. The tenants are happy with this. I am not sure that it meets the requirements of the RTA though
    Thank you, that is helpful! My mum prefers cooking with a gas hob anyway. We could easily build in a small bench top oven for her. That combined with her microwave should be sufficient for their needs! Good point about the gas! Thanks

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Shore Auckland
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    A second oven is not a problem, the load comes from the hot plate. I have been told this by an electrical shop and a kitchen planner. If you can put a gas hob in you would overcome this.
    I have put a combination microwave in a granny flat/separate dwelling. The tenants are happy with this. I am not sure that it meets the requirements of the RTA though
    Ha ha...my electrician neighbour told me the exact opposite....the oven draws more power than the cook top

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Shore Auckland
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Thank you, that is helpful! My mum prefers cooking with a gas hob anyway. We could easily build in a small bench top oven for her. That combined with her microwave should be sufficient for their needs! Good point about the gas! Thanks
    Just remember that gas hobs whilst cheap to buy are expensive to install....typically $400 and you need a plumber gas fitter to do this....you'll also need the certificate of compliance.

    And the gas must now be located in a spot exterior to the building...putting it in a cupboard is no longer allowed


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Consent needed for a kitchenette?
    By nicko54 in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-03-2017, 11:36 AM
  2. Garage to Sleepout with Bathroom/Kitchenette Consent and Costs
    By investorak in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 19-01-2017, 07:47 PM
  3. What exactly constitutes a kitchenette?
    By Pants in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 24-05-2010, 02:06 PM
  4. Elderly humour...
    By Josko in forum Forum Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-11-2008, 10:01 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 09:07 PM
  6. Mortgagee sale leaves elderly homeless
    By cube in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-02-2008, 11:58 AM
  7. Rich and elderly choose to rent
    By muppet in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18-06-2007, 01:42 PM
  8. Ethics and elderly
    By ActionMan in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22-08-2006, 06:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •