Kitchenette for elderly parents in our own home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchenette for elderly parents in our own home

Hi, we have purchased a property large enough to house my elderly parents, it has a separate wing attached to our own home (it was used as a business and has direct access from the main lounge room of the house) There is a bedroom with ensuite, two other rooms and a huge lounge room which I guess was a board room) It has plumbing already in the lounge area (consented) ready to hook up a kitchenette. I want to know if what I have heard is right? From talking to friends I have heard that we can apply for consent for a kitchenette, or the alternative is to put in a kitchen suitable to their needs without consent then when we eventually sell the property on we have to pull it all out! I also heard that we can sign a statutory declaration with council stating that we will not be 'renting out' or using it for any other purposes other than dependent parents or extended family members. Is this right? What are we allowed to install and what would constitute a kitchenette if we are not allowed a full kitchen? Remembering that the plumbing is all ready there to go for the kitchenette and has been approved, the previous owners didn't get around to completing the job as they have moved due to employment elsewhere. We live in Christchurch NZ. Thank you!

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Hi, we have purchased a property large enough to house my elderly parents, it has a separate wing attached to our own home (it was used as a business and has direct access from the main lounge room of the house) There is a bedroom with ensuite, two other rooms and a huge lounge room which I guess was a board room) It has plumbing already in the lounge area (consented) ready to hook up a kitchenette. I want to know if what I have heard is right? From talking to friends I have heard that we can apply for consent for a kitchenette, or the alternative is to put in a kitchen suitable to their needs without consent then when we eventually sell the property on we have to pull it all out! I also heard that we can sign a statutory declaration with council stating that we will not be 'renting out' or using it for any other purposes other than dependent parents or extended family members. Is this right? What are we allowed to install and what would constitute a kitchenette if we are not allowed a full kitchen? Remembering that the plumbing is all ready there to go for the kitchenette and has been approved, the previous owners didn't get around to completing the job as they have moved due to employment elsewhere. We live in Christchurch NZ. Thank you!
    If you have consent for the sink, there is no requirement for any additional consent for a kitchen or kitchentte.

Comment

What about a mini oven with a hot plate?

Save mega$$ in stupid taxes!
      The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo View Post
        If you have consent for the sink, there is no requirement for any additional consent for a kitchen or kitchentte.

Thanks! What about firewalls? Do we need to make it fire safe? I wasn't sure about the adding of extractor fans or small oven or hotplates? I can't really understand the reasoning behind some people saying we can use a portable counter top oven and hot plate as I personally think they are more dangerous than the built in ones. It all seems a bit strange to me! I was purely thinking of installing a small wall oven and then a set of hotplates on top with a good splash back. Also putting their frontloading washing machine behind some doors with their tumble dryer also. Then a little island bench on the other side with some barstools. The kitchen/kitchenette would all be along one wall. Their cupboards would be under the island bench! The sink would be along the outside wall as the plumbing is already set to go for it! It said on the auction brochure from Harcourts "plumbing installed for kitchenette". The plans have it stamped also for compliance but it was stamped in 2005! Does that mean we can go ahead?? Thanks for your help!

Comment

Thanks! What about firewalls? Do we need to make it fire safe?
          You only need fire rated walls between separate dwellings. As it remains a single household, there is no requirement.

I wasn't sure about the adding of extractor fans or small oven or hotplates? I can't really understand the reasoning behind some people saying we can use a portable counter top oven and hot plate as I personally think they are more dangerous than the built in ones. It all seems a bit strange to me! I was purely thinking of installing a small wall oven and then a set of hotplates on top with a good splash back.
          You can install a full oven/cooktop. Your only limited by the power requirement.

Also putting their frontloading washing machine behind some doors with their tumble dryer also. Then a little island bench on the other side with some barstools. The kitchen/kitchenette would all be along one wall. Their cupboards would be under the island bench! The sink would be along the outside wall as the plumbing is already set to go for it! It said on the auction brochure from Harcourts "plumbing installed for kitchenette". The plans have it stamped also for compliance but it was stamped in 2005! Does that mean we can go ahead?? Thanks for your help
          Nothing indicates that you can't. Make sure everything is installed to building code and you'll be fine.

Comment

.... I can't really understand the reasoning behind some people saying we can use a portable counter top oven and hot plate as I personally think they are more dangerous than the built in ones. It all seems a bit strange to me! I was purely thinking of installing a small wall oven and then a set of hotplates on top with a good splash back. ...
            The reason people are saying to use a portable counter top oven is due to the electrical load that a full oven draws.

Ordinary domestic wiring is too light weight and is NOT rated for more than one oven. Installing a second oven would create a fire risk as the wiring heats up..... and thus your insurance policy would be void if your house burned down as a result.

Your idea of a small hot plate installed into the bench top will probably work ok.

Most electricians would be able to talk you through the options.

Comment

A second oven is not a problem, the load comes from the hot plate. I have been told this by an electrical shop and a kitchen planner. If you can put a gas hob in you would overcome this.
              I have put a combination microwave in a granny flat/separate dwelling. The tenants are happy with this. I am not sure that it meets the requirements of the RTA though

Comment

Originally posted by Eugene View Post
                A second oven is not a problem, the load comes from the hot plate. I have been told this by an electrical shop and a kitchen planner. If you can put a gas hob in you would overcome this.
                I have put a combination microwave in a granny flat/separate dwelling. The tenants are happy with this. I am not sure that it meets the requirements of the RTA though
                Thank you, that is helpful! My mum prefers cooking with a gas hob anyway. We could easily build in a small bench top oven for her. That combined with her microwave should be sufficient for their needs! Good point about the gas! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Eugene View Post
                  Ha ha...my electrician neighbour told me the exact opposite....the oven draws more power than the cook top

Comment

Thank you, that is helpful! My mum prefers cooking with a gas hob anyway. We could easily build in a small bench top oven for her. That combined with her microwave should be sufficient for their needs! Good point about the gas! Thanks
                    Just remember that gas hobs whilst cheap to buy are expensive to install....typically $400 and you need a plumber gas fitter to do this....you'll also need the certificate of compliance.

And the gas must now be located in a spot exterior to the building...putting it in a cupboard is no longer allowed

Comment

Gas would require an extractor fan as well otherwise moisture plus harmful fumes will remain in the unit. I have a combo microwave its brilliant does a full roast (small sized chicken) perfectly.

Comment

Meals-On-Wheels?
                        Who needs an oven.
                        The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahar View Post
                          Ha ha...my electrician neighbour told me the exact opposite....the oven draws more power than the cook top
                          Yes I was surprised. I questioned this and they said the oven draws heaps of power to warm up then not much after. Makes me wonder what happens if both switched on at the same time.
                          An electrician checked the circuit the two ovens would be on and it was just big enough. A hot plate would have needed another circuit. Then I guess the question is, can the house take it if heat pumps etc are all on as well.

Comment

I understand that fuses will blow when too much power is drawn...this stops the wiring from overheating...a built in safety measure so to speak.

The fire hazard problem occurs when good folk who become tired of blown fuses, replace the fuse wire with a hairpin or something similar thus resulting in the the wiring overheating (this assumes a good old fashioned fuse and not the modern type...don't know what people do to these to stop them blowing)

As for what your chap said about the circuit being big enough...I'd been led to believe one of the main problems is the amount of power coming into the property via the cabling from the street....I think my electrician neighbour told my that he only put in a cook top for his own mum because of the limitation on the load that the wiring from the street can carry....this was when I was thinking of doing a granny flat so I paid attention I definitely remember him saying that this cable would have to be "upgraded"

I really think you need to speak to more than one electrician....I always find it helpful to ask the same question to at least 3 "experts"...bit like getting quotes from 3 tradies
                            Last edited by Ahar; 13-07-2015, 10:45 PM.

Comment

All electricians should be well versed in working out the load requirements.
                              Generally house main wiring (to the street) are OK up to 63A.
                              Each circuits has sufficient protection for that bit of wire - 1mm TPS will be fused (or circuit breaker) at 10A (lighting circuits), 2.5mm for 20A.
                              This protects the cable from overheating.
                              Then the main lead to the house is fused at the street - this protects the main cable.
                              You don't want that one to blow - have to get the power company out to fix - that will take time and probably cost.

Ovens generally use more than a hob.
                              Total load potential for a house generally exceeds what is available - ie if you turned everything on you would have trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X