No announcement yet.

Changes to tenancy law being considered - long term tenancies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can bet your life that tenants will get all the rights and landlords all the bills. That never much changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
      Who in their right mind turfs a great tenant out of a long term hold rental.
      No-one, certainly. I suspect the problem lies in how many properties really are long-term holds.
      As a tenant, some years back now, I lived in six properties over the years. In four cases I/we left within the usual year or two. 3/4 of those were for social reasons (moved in with partner, broke up with partner, moved cities). 1/4 was because the property turned out to have a serious mould problem.
      In the other two cases, we moved because the tenancy was not a long-term hold. In one case the landlords sold so they could buy a larger home for themselves. In another the landlords returned home from overseas.

In both occasions I've been a landlord myself it's been relatively short-term, and the tenancy ended because we were moving in; or returning home from overseas (though in the latter case they had bought at about the same time, so it worked out fine).

Anyway, it would be interesting to know the average hold-period for rentals. My sense is that tenants' sense of uncertainty comes from the knowledge the LL could sell up any time for business reasons, regardless of how good a tenant they are, and their security would be lost - even if they have an FTT, a new landlord may have other plans for the property once the FTT is finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Sante View Post
        Anyway, it would be interesting to know the average hold-period for rentals. My sense is that tenants' sense of uncertainty comes from the knowledge the LL could sell up any time for business reasons, regardless of how good a tenant they are, and their security would be lost - even if they have an FTT, a new landlord may have other plans for the property once the FTT is finished.
        Looking at our renting out stats - tenancies suffer in length for two reasons; temporary fix (new job, break up or new partner) or change of circumstances (new job, break up or new partner, or entering home ownership). Just wondering how homeowners deal with those short-term changes of circumstances or depend long-term decisions on financial commitments?

Maybe that explains why renters e.g. in Austria don't move very often because of the money involved when moving in to a rental!

Comment

Working...
        X