How to play this situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to play this situation?

Hi again guys, back for more of your pearls of wisdom.

So I've just bought my first PPOR and all's going reasonably well. I had an issue with the garage, the building inspector noted that it was pretty knackered and I pushed for a discount, I got $1000 off which is far less than the cost of doing the garage up but the place still worked out to be a good deal.

When I've moved in however, I've found that the heat pump doesn't work, had it checked out by the heat pump guys, needs a full replacement. Not only is it listed in the chattels, not only did the RE agent tell me it worked but this particular RE agency has an extra form to the normal sale and purchase which literally says 'Heat Pump working? - Yes', signed by the vendor.

Now I've done my usual and gone to my solicitor who's put it through their solicitors. The reply was, in short form that 'they haven't used the heat pump all summer, the heat pump was installed before they bought the house and that the vendor feels 'bullied' by me.' Then the strangest of things after that statement, he wants me to contact him directly but tells me that they are in no way open to pay anything towards it.

How would you play this one? I'm pretty sure if it went to small claims I'd win it, need to check that with the solicitor in the morning.

Is it worth the hassle?

Join your local NZPIF and get a good discount on a ******* heat pump.

Probably cost you less then the legal fees in trying to get the money back! Plus the hassle and your time.

Ross
    Book a free chat here
    Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Where did my Tosh iba bit go?
      Book a free chat here
      Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Don't underestimate their situation. Old houses are like second hand goods & the vendors liability may be limited to your final pre purchase inspection. More over even if you win the court may only fine them for the book value of the heat pump...is it worth the hassle? What if it died few days after the purchase? ?

Comment

Firstly, why is that brand a swearword on PT? How odd.

I did note in the final inspection however my mistake was to pass this through the estate agent rather than the solicitor. The agent was deceptive and awkward to deal with at the best of times. Have found out since that he barely passed any messages through to the vendor, was just making up his own excuses.

Maybe I can pick up a nice red zone one for peanuts instead, hadn't looked at it that way rocket. Book value would probably be close to 0. Still, live and learn....

Comment

Originally posted by andyp2010 View Post
            Maybe I can pick up a nice red zone one for peanuts instead, hadn't looked at it that way rocket. Book value would probably be close to 0. Still, live and learn....
            Better be very cheap because the cost of install is expensive compared to a package deal on a brand new one. Package deal $1,800 - $2,000. Cost of install = around $800.

Comment

had one installed the other day, 250 for the unit, 400 to install, 4kw with inverter. not bad methinks

Comment

8kws are much harder to come by and therefore cant seem to find one

Comment

Originally posted by andyp2010 View Post
                  had one installed the other day, 250 for the unit, 400 to install, 4kw with inverter. not bad methinks
                  Where and who please?
                  “Our favorite holding period is forever.”

Comment

^+1 please.....

Comment

unit was from the pumphouse, red zone special, installation is by a heat pump installer friend (not dodgy, does it for a living), ended up being 500 in the end but still pretty good. Could ask him if hes willing to do other jobs.

Comment

Working...
                      X