Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying first home - 1994 - 2006 OK?

Hi all,

In the process of trying to buy my first home, I am staying clear of all Monolithic houses. I was recommended to also avoid all houses from 1994 - 2006 due to the building laws at the time. Is this in fact the case? If I avoid all houses from this period and all Monolithic builds I seem to be discounting well over half of the houses advertised that match my other criteria.

Cheers,

Craig

Avoid Monolithic builds and plaster build if you can as they are harder to resale.
    The leaky home syndrome was around the late 1990 to early 2000. But not all houses are bad.

make sure you do a comprehansive building inspection once you tick the others boxes within your due diligence.
    ie. LIM, finance, valuation if you need one etc. viewing the property file can often be very helpful too.
    New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
    FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
    CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

Leaky homes are still being built (building defects / defects in design) so never be fooled into believing you are safe if it is outside a certain time period. Yes there were building changes that made it more common but even brick houses can leak. Treated timber helps but the treatment eventually leaches out if wet for long time periods. All houses leak - its impossible to make a water tight house its how they deal with water ingress that occurs every now and again in large storms etc that separate's defective buildings from well built/designed ones.

Comment

Just avoid plaster homes all together.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
          Just avoid plaster homes all together.
          what do you call plaster?

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
            what do you call plaster?
            plaster .

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
              plaster .
              solid plaster over brick, solid plaster over wirenetting, modfied plaster over brick, modified plaster over poly, modified plaster over hebel, harditex,..... your statement is like someone saying all asians cant drive because some asians cant drive

Comment

I get your point JimO, my thought is that plaster houses regardless of what construction is it are typically harder to sell do to the stigma. Not everyone is a builder or have the understanding that some plasters or hard boards are totally fine.
                New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
                FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
                CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

Only plaster I'd touch would be plaster over brick / block / stone something solid etc ....where I live all the 2003-2010 plaster homes are looking very tired .....plaster all over hebel, harditex , hardie backer etc

Comment

Some plaster buildings are ok, but regardless, when it comes to selling there will be less buyers to buy your property.
                    To Sell or Buy Investment Property contact us. 0800 NZ PROPERTY or 021 402990
                    www.propertyventures.co.nz
                    *New* Check out our weekly free property show http://propertyventures.co.nz/podcast

Comment

plaster over brick

very popular with art deco houses from the 30's

Find your dream home in New Zealand with Trade Me. Browse our full range of NZ real estate listings to discover the perfect property for families, couples and s...

never heard anyone complain they leak more than anything else

plaster over wood versions not so good
                      have you defeated them?
                      your demons

Comment

Most people don't want the maintenance required with monolithic type plaster homes (a lot of owners aren't even aware of these requirements)- costs add up very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                        X