Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I find out when renovations took place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find out when renovations took place?

Hi
    I am looking at buying a house that has monolithic cladding on the top floor which is a renovation, the real estate agent has told us it happened in the 1980s (which should be outside the problem time?). Is there anyway I can confirm this without having to get a lim report?

Thanks

Craig

Visit council and have look through the property file.

Better still never buy a property that has monolithic cladding.

Comment

what do you call monolithic cladding?, solid plaster, insulclad, rockote?? i would be more concerned about flashings rather than coatings

Comment

Hi jimO,

Yes I should have clarified: Texture Coated Fibre Cement. Also agree with you re problems about flashings.

Comment

harditex? doesnt have a good rep

Comment

the real estate agent has told us it happened in the 1980s (which should be outside the problem time?
            <br><br>

the 80's and 90's&nbsp; was when we learnt how not to build houses.... in the late 90's we compounded the problem by introducing untreated timber and made designes more risky (no eaves parrapets complex roofs...)

Does this house have good eaves, that seems to be the key as this means walls werent getting wet every time it rained

Texture Coated Fibre Cement. Also agree with you re problems about flashings.
            so if you use a blotting paper as a cladding what diffierence does a flashing make?

You should still buy but do due diligence to make sure it is performing adequately now (and isnt already a cot case) and also consider that as a 35 yr old cladding it may be time to reclad so factor in to your thinking or plan for redevelopment of the site.

Think...... I am buying the land with a rentable building that may need replacing sometime and can I afford that or is it a viable option in the future
            Last edited by John the builder; 02-05-2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X