Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to access my house due to tenants parking on driveway

Hi.
    I own a house on a shared driveway but am having huge issues with the tenants in one house.
    To begin with, the original tenants were a mother with 2 older daughters, one a school and one working, which was fine. Their only car park on the Crosslease is in their garage.
    About 15 months ago, the oldest daughter, her husband and 5? children moved into a storage room under the house, with only one small door and window. They put their stuff in the garage, and the car started being parked on the driveway. The oldest daughter parked hers in one of the visitor parks.
    This was supposed to be temporary, but 15 months later: there are four cars, taking up all the visitor parks and often blocking access to the driveway as they are permanently parked on the edge of the drive, so it is very hard to get out as they also leave their bins in the turning bay and the garage door open a fraction to 'air'. They also have two dogs and about 6/7 cats as they don't neuter. They all are undersized, like the 5 children and the animals all sit in the driveway.
    this is in Onehunga, auckland.

A fire truck or emergency vehicle would not be able to get up the driveway.

My question is :how can I get them to behave?
    is there council bylaws around overcrowding and so many animals I can report?
    I am concerned about the children as the room beneath is only a storage room, and there are so many of them.
    Also, is there a way to get them to remove the cars?
    i don't have contact details for the landlords but believe I can find it at auckland City council? but they are scum, so I am worried about retaliation if they landlord says who called so am looking to use other agencies.

can I force the landlord to evict them if necessary? I am tempted to go and park in his driveway which is in the same suburb (not sure of exact address) as I can't park in mine!

I get told off for parking on the street outside the neighbour’s property. All legal like and only temporarily. Have parked there three times so far in over 3 years and got a note on the windscreen each time.

Have seriously thought of buying a $500 banger and parking it there, all legal, registered and WOF like.

Scheesh! I feel for you but have no suggestion. Sorry.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

The RTA allows that tenants must not create an problem for their neighbours. Take the LL to the Tribunal.
      Go to the council about the cats. Health and safety. If that doesn't work try the SPCA.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
        Take the LL to the Tribunal.
        The TT doesn't rule between anyone other than tenant and landlord.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Sounds like that family shouldn't be living in the garage/storage area.

You could report that to the council, anonymously I guess.
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Have you had a polite word with them about the parking issues? Might work, and if not at least they have been consulted. Then an equally polite word with the landlord, once located, with the cross lease in your hand. Follow up in writing, requesting action on any items causing you a nuisance. Parking and possibly animals. Overcrowding is not your issue though noise would be.

The landlord might not be aware of the issues and in particular the extra people on site, which may impact his property. You could point out the LL's remedies via the Tenancy Tribunal.

If you try all the above and no joy, you might be able to take the LL to the Disputes Tribunal, as a dispute should have been established.

Comment

Had issues with mine when I lived in it - HNZ house also the local dope sellers apparently. I ended up going to the Law Service (provided free by the University) who issued an official letter to the tenant (and possibly the HNZ can't remember now). I seriously contemplated painting yellow lines down each side or damaging their car. I heard thru the grape vine that somehow Council got involved and then tenants picked up their game after that. So stressful not being able to come and go as you feel and def not something Ive waste time on ever again.

The HNZ house has since sold to a nice couple (my brother did their Kitchen (cost no labour) in return for them doing the side fence / replacement of an old hedge) and haven't had any complaints from the tenants.

Comment

You can get cat cages from the SPCA trap and drop off at the SPCA for all you know the cats are strays. Think SPAC neuters and returns with a collar for a week or two to make sure they don't belong to someone or maybe that is only already neutered animals. Worth talking to them.

Comment

cant believe I am say ing this but ring the council and complain about garage conversion

The issue isnt the occupation as such but you will find that their parking space is in the garage and if they arent able to use it they are contravening the district plan somehow.

Read your cross lease I; this is available at the LINZ office if you havent got it . Drive must be common property? It likely says they are contravening the lease. This could be a matter that a lawyer might bring to their attention or the TT deals with cross lease as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                    I get told off for parking on the street outside the neighbour’s property. All legal like and only temporarily. Have parked there three times so far in over 3 years and got a note on the windscreen each time.
                    In the UK this is a massive issue, I've seen people come to blows over it!

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo View Post
                      In the UK this is a massive issue, I've seen people come to blows over it!
                      Wow Id reply to the letter with when you are fully responsible for maintain the roadside Ill cease to park on ratepayer funded streetside parking. Never even though to be annoyed that people park outside my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
                        Wow Id reply to the letter with when you are fully responsible for maintain the roadside Ill cease to park on ratepayer funded streetside parking. Never even though to be annoyed that people park outside my house.
                        This becomes an issue when people can't park on their own section due to it being tiny.

Comment

My car is always parked outside my neighbours place. The council redesigned our street and there is no parking outside my place.

Comment

Working...
                          X